By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best place to pre-order games in the UK?

NotStan said:
Shopto is very nice as I said before, also if you want to get the game yourself, then your best bet would probably be Gamestation, their Elite XP system is excellent and I've gotten a few pounds just trading stuff around, also if you trade in two games you get the store credit for them + £5 off a new purchase(I had that offer with Dark Souls), and also saw that same promo for the Arkham City. I think it's something new they've introduced.

Got one ;)

It is too inconvenient for me to go to a Gamestation, the nearest one is pretty far away and I can't always get a lift.

I think I'll use ShopTo, so many people, including you have recommended it.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
NotStan said:
Shopto is very nice as I said before, also if you want to get the game yourself, then your best bet would probably be Gamestation, their Elite XP system is excellent and I've gotten a few pounds just trading stuff around, also if you trade in two games you get the store credit for them + £5 off a new purchase(I had that offer with Dark Souls), and also saw that same promo for the Arkham City. I think it's something new they've introduced.

Got one ;)

It is too inconvenient for me to go to a Gamestation, the nearest one is pretty far away and I can't always get a lift.

I think I'll use ShopTo, so many people, including you have recommended it.

Lol yeah, as usual Shopto is much more convenient, seeing as you can just do a few clicks instead of bothering to go into town :p, there is Gamestation not far from where I work, guess not everyone is so fortunate hehe.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

I would go with the GAME, the prices aren't bad when you consider that you get reward points back (around £2 for a £40 pre-ordered game, so I got a whole £5 of reward points for pre-ordering Gears 3 Epic Edition), but the key point is delivery. Even with free delivery, you get most games a day early. It has happened for me for pretty much every game, though some of the larger games (like FIFA) you won't get as they have more sophisticated systems to ensure that everyone will receive the game in time

I have also pre-ordered from HMV and Play, who both delivered the game on the release day, though I am interested to know how good Gamestop are, as while I missed out the Uncharted 3 Explorer's Edition, I am thinking of pre-ordering the Assassins Creed Revelations Animus Edition from them, but I don't want to have to pay for delivery

I usually don't preorder but when I do I go for the cheapest, last 2 from Tesco because of this. www.hotukdeals.com comes up with offers all the time. Okay so I'm less concerned over release day then most as most the games I do but it's about a month or so later when weirdly it's already reduced to less then £25 new online for what I could have bought for £40 or more new in a shop.

I regret buying Deus Ex so early, got it for £30 or so but now it's £20 already.

Hmm, pie.

KylieDog said:
From much experience I'll list a bunch of retailers.

game.co.uk - Orders ALWAYS arrive before release day, usually just a day early but from time to time 2-3 days earlier. Prices tend to not be cheap, just standard but they do a lot of pre-order bonuses or special editions other retailers do not get.

Amazon - Sometimes cheaper, not always. They usually do not ship until release day though, being a Friday that means you get the game 3-4 days after release often.

Play.com - Prices not cheap, pre-ordering varies, sometimes they ship early and you get it early, other times they don't ship ntil release days, so like amazon get it late.

Zavvi - Games often a couple quid cheaper, but shipping is hit and miss, ordered two games that released same day before, one I got 3 days early, one I got 3 days late. Also if they reduce price between when they ship and release day they will not refund the difference, amazon, game and play.com all would. That happened to me with TR Trilogy, charged me £21 on shipping a fe days before release than day before release changed price to £17 but didn't refund me the £4 difference.

shopto.net - Can very often be cheaper but they can often have stock issues on pre-orders and you'll find yourself with no game being shipped to you until more stock arrives if one of the unlucky ones.

HMV - Prices are never cheap, can often get the game a day early, release day at worst.

the-hut - Same as zavvi, same company I think.

Gamestop - First, this one charges when you order, not when they ship so cancelling orders is annoying waiting to get cash back. Only pre-ordered once and it arrived 3 days late.

Gamestation - Like game.co.uk, same company.

All based on 'free delivery' options. I personally if I MUST play a game on release or before go with game.co.uk jst because I know I get it early always, other games I go with whoever cheaper, though try to avoid zavvi and thehut if I can.

When have you got a game a few days early from GAME? Mine only ever come 1 day early, apart from the slightly messy release of Portal 2.

And I have always had good experiences with amazon, but I am with Prime, so that probably makes the difference

And I totally agree with your point about gamestop, no other games seller takes your money when you order things, so I am not too keen on buying from them

Around the Network

shopto.net, you'll always get your game a day early and at a cheap price. First class postage is free.

Noticed a lot of people are saying Amazon.co.uk always deliver several days after release. That will actually depend on which postal option you choose. If you choose Super Saver Deliver, it won't ship first class so it will arrive late. If you choose First Class, it will ship early and arrive on your doormat on release day.
Personally have frequently pre-ordered on Amazon and they have always arrived on release day. Have pre-ordered Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo Reach, Gears of War 2 and the final Harry Potter book. They all turned up on day-one without fail (I seriously hope that does not jinx it for Battlefield 3).

KylieDog said:
Munkeh111 said:

When have you got a game a few days early from GAME? Mine only ever come 1 day early, apart from the slightly messy release of Portal 2.

Every now and then it happens, every game is at least a day early but sometimes it is earlier, earliest I ever got a game was the Monday before the Friday release, Disaster Day of Crisis on Wii.  Looking at my e-mail it shipped at 9 in the morning, I got it 2 in the afternoon...

WOW! Please say that they do that with Uncharted 3...

Gamestop/EB Games has always worked well for me. Never had a problem (like giving away my copy) or anything.

Okay guys, I have decided.

I remembered I already have a Gamestation account and a Gamestation Elite card with points on it. Apparently they are owned by Game and pre-orders arrive in roughly the same time frame, a day early.