By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Online is lacking

It would have been much better with scores and rankings. Now whats the point of playing online?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Around the Network
dgm6780 said:
Isnt a fighting/combat game all about being competitive and finding out who can really lay the smack down?? You guys sound like a bunch of sissies afraid to see who really is the best. Everyone of you has laid claim to being really good and everyone can do that when there are no stats to prove/disprove it.

Lack of voicechat is understandable on a console aimed at kids, parents dont want their kids exposed to that kinda stuff. But a win/loss record & Disconnect % are a must for a game like this.

Wii Online = LAME watered down kiddie sanitized everyone wins BS

Internet tough guy spotted. Wait, scratch that - internet tough 12-year-old boy spotted.

Anyway, I'm thirding/fourthing what DonWii said. The only reason leaderboards and scores exist in online games is to feed the egos of... well... people like dgm6780. And, more than that, they contribute to anti-sportsmanlike behavior like disconnecting from a match if you're losing.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

zackblue said:
It would have been much better with scores and rankings. Now whats the point of playing online?

Uh... how about having fun playing against something other than an AI?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Vizion said:
From the official website: "Your opponent will not know your name or any information about you, and neither of you can send short messages. There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play."

It should matter. I want to see ratings of fighters across the globe. I want to know who are best of the best or the worst of the worst in the world and have the option to fight them.

I really don't care about voice chat because I don't want to hear 12 year olds saying the N word and using other curse words. But at least give fighters the option to choose who they want to fight across the globe.

Ever looked at the Mario Strikers online stats? Some people play for ridiculous amounts of time and normal folks like us could never hope to catch the bastards.

This way, people won't be dropping left and right in order to protect their stats.

If you want to find out who the best player in the world is, leaderboards like this have NEVER been the way to do that. They're the best way to find out who has the most TIME to play in the world.

Tournaments will no doubt be organized on Smashboards.com and other places. The lack of leaderboards is a boon to the online, IMHO. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

dgm6780 said:
Isnt a fighting/combat game all about being competitive and finding out who can really lay the smack down?? You guys sound like a bunch of sissies afraid to see who really is the best. Everyone of you has laid claim to being really good and everyone can do that when there are no stats to prove/disprove it.

Stats prove nothing except how much time someone has to play.

Tournaments are where the best of the best will be found, and those will have to be organized, not on random pickup battles. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network

Well leaderboards aren't important, but personal stats would be nice...I'd like to see my wins, losses, items used, damge received/given, etc, just for the hell of it.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Ben got PWND.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

It doesn't me bother at all. The main reason I wanted Brawl to have online is so I would face really good people who's skill level is as high or higher than mine. Level 9's are pretty easy to me. Plus real people are unpredictable. Leader boards only take some of the fun away because you have to win to get any fun out of it. And like what everyone here is saying, Tournaments and rankings will be on sights like Smashboards.com.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

I have to say I am fine with this sort of online setup.

Shudders at the thought of 10 year olds screaming obscenities into the mike.

Nintendo isn't fixated on the small group of 'core' gamers who appreciate online leaderboards like MS and (to a lesser extent) Sony. Most people's online experience is online flash games and maybe UT or such. They don't care to compete against some 13 yr old boy who has all day to master the game, and is going to play cheap just to move up the leaderboard, they just want to play for fun.
IMO leaderboards are for kids and not the other way around. SSBB doesn't need them and will probably be more fun without them. Now Tournament play though, that would be nice.