By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you wonder why humanity hasn't advanced much?

Next big innovation from Humanity even if its not within our lifetime.

Light Speed Travel 8 6.25%

Flying Cars 4 3.13%

Discover a habitable planet 13 10.16%

Cure a deadly disease such as HIV or Cancer 63 49.22%

Robots thinking for thems... 14 10.94%

Finding Alien life (freindly hopefully) 4 3.13%

Teleportation 6 4.69%

Something i didn't list 16 12.50%

Total:128
Netyaroze said:
@NobleTeam360

Flying 2-3 feet over the ground needs as much energy as flying thousend feet over the ground. But it could be done if you coat all streets with a magnet and make the bottom of the car magnetic aswell. There is only one problem the car would flip over like the flying magnetic bed. which is hold by tethers in position. For the car to hover you would need another track above the car which is also magnetic and ofcourse on the sides. So practically the car needs to be in a magnetic tube and look like a bullet.

I am sorry there will never be a cool flying car outside of virtual reality. On earth that is. On Moon or Mars it would be easier.

never say never. There's actually been several atempts at making flying cars since the 50's,but none of those attempts have been pratical. It's the same reason that nobody wants hybrids,people don't want to change the way things are. They don't want to change what they know.

Around the Network
oldschoolfool said:
Netyaroze said:
@NobleTeam360

Flying 2-3 feet over the ground needs as much energy as flying thousend feet over the ground. But it could be done if you coat all streets with a magnet and make the bottom of the car magnetic aswell. There is only one problem the car would flip over like the flying magnetic bed. which is hold by tethers in position. For the car to hover you would need another track above the car which is also magnetic and ofcourse on the sides. So practically the car needs to be in a magnetic tube and look like a bullet.

I am sorry there will never be a cool flying car outside of virtual reality. On earth that is. On Moon or Mars it would be easier.

never say never. There's actually been several atempts at making flying cars since the 50's,but none of those attempts have been pratical. It's the same reason that nobody wants hybrids,people don't want to change the way things are. They don't want to change what they know.

Never say never is a true statement for a lot of things. But in this particular case it is safe to say never. Again I am refering to Back to the future cars. A flying car with wings or a rotor or a jet turbine under the floor powered by a nuclear reactor is entirely possible. But this is not what the people want. What they want is impossible with our gravity. It is physically impossible. We have a levitating Train already the Transrapid but it levitates millimeters above the track and needs tons of highend technology to not be pushed from the tracks.

The electromagnetic approach would be hard because the cars would slide down from the magnetic field also we would need hundreds of TRILLION Dollars to convert the streets technologically to offer a super strong EM field. Also we would need energy a lot of it magnitudes over the current worldwide need just to power the streets. And what we would get is cars levitating 10 inch above the floor heavy as hell. Not one advantage no flying in different levels no leaving the streets. nothing Also it would destroy our Iphones/Notebooks and stop communication over phones because the magnets would influence every speaker next to a street. And people so paranoid about unhealthy EM fields would go nuts if every street has a Million times stronger EM field then earth has.

For flying cars which are economically useful and offer all the desired SCIFI advantages like flying were you want in a car like shape flying in different levels to never get in a jam. To have a smooth driving experience without loosing your hearing. To not kill or destroy everything beneath you and relie on a Plutonium powered car. There is only one solution: that is creating an Antigravity like field under the car.Nobody has seen a force that acts accordingly. Not here not anywhere else in the Universe. Its not even sure that gravity itself is a force.

Maybe there is a Higgs field and we learn to manipulate it. Lets say there is a possible way just for the heck of it.

The ability to manipulate the quantum world in a way to switch gravity on and off as we please to bend space as we please means we can manipulate everything else. Which would make us gods. Flying cars on moon are possible not on earth.

There is no possible/practical approach. There just isnt, I already checked. And there never will be the consequences of doing that on earth would mean we dont need cars anymore.

Netyaroze said:
oldschoolfool said:
Netyaroze said:
@NobleTeam360

Never say never is a true statement for a lot of things. But in this particular case it is safe to say never. Again I am refering to Back to the future cars. A flying car with wings or a rotor or a jet turbine under the floor powered by a nuclear reactor is entirely possible. But this is not what the people want. What they want is impossible with our gravity. It is physically impossible. We have a levitating Train already the Transrapid but it levitates millimeters above the track and needs tons of highend technology to not be pushed from the tracks.

The electromagnetic approach would be hard because the cars would slide down from the magnetic field also we would need hundreds of TRILLION Dollars to convert the streets technologically to offer a super strong EM field. Also we would need energy a lot of it magnitudes over the current worldwide need just to power the streets. And what we would get is cars levitating 10 inch above the floor heavy as hell. Not one advantage no flying in different levels no leaving the streets. nothing Also it would destroy our Iphones/Notebooks and stop communication over phones because the magnets would influence every speaker next to a street. And people so paranoid about unhealthy EM fields would go nuts if every street has a Million times stronger EM field then earth has.

For flying cars which are economically useful and offer all the desired SCIFI advantages like flying were you want in a car like shape flying in different levels to never get in a jam. To have a smooth driving experience without loosing your hearing. To not kill or destroy everything beneath you and relie on a Plutonium powered car. There is only one solution: that is creating an Antigravity like field under the car.Nobody has seen a force that acts accordingly. Not here not anywhere else in the Universe. Its not even sure that gravity itself is a force.

Maybe there is a Higgs field and we learn to manipulate it. Lets say there is a possible way just for the heck of it.

The ability to manipulate the quantum world in a way to switch gravity on and off as we please to bend space as we please means we can manipulate everything else. Which would make us gods. Flying cars on moon are possible not on earth.

There is no possible/practical approach. There just isnt, I already checked. And there never will be the consequences of doing that on earth would mean we dont need cars anymore.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110707/02133114992/flying-car-already-cleared-skies-now-cleared-roads-too.shtml --- what do you think of some simple concept like that. I'm no expert in any of this,but I have to disagree with some of what you said. What people thought impossible 100-150 yrs ago is now possible. there might not be a possilbe/practical apporach now so to speak,but maybe no one has discovered one yet. I can only imagine what's going to be possible in another 100-150 yrs from now.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/flying-car1.htm ---link. here's another link on the same subject. it's just a brief history of people attempting to make flying cars. 

Marks said:
Society is the reason we no longer advance to be honest.

The theory of only the strong survive is now dead thanks to governments (i.e. welfare, health care, etc.)

But it seems you're just talking inventions and stuff. From your list the only realistic things are self thinking robots and cures for diseases.

Teleportation, light speed travel, finding a habitable planet all not gonna happen (at least in my lifetime)

The strongest don't survive. It is the most adaptable. :P

I don't know what will be next but the progress has kind of really slowed down. The ponzi schemes run by banks and cutting down science reasearch budgets in the western world has hurt quite a bit. 

I think the next or closest we are to next breathough is smart AI. Not impressed with new iphone in general but the Siri assistant is quite a breakthough. It responds much more smartly than most people i know. People these days just say LOLLLLLLL and LMAOOOOO to everything. Idiotic. 

Around the Network
green_sky said:
Marks said:
Society is the reason we no longer advance to be honest.

The theory of only the strong survive is now dead thanks to governments (i.e. welfare, health care, etc.)

But it seems you're just talking inventions and stuff. From your list the only realistic things are self thinking robots and cures for diseases.

Teleportation, light speed travel, finding a habitable planet all not gonna happen (at least in my lifetime)

The strongest don't survive. It is the most adaptable. :P

I don't know what will be next but the progress has kind of really slowed down. The ponzi schemes run by banks and cutting down science reasearch budgets in the western world has hurt quite a bit. 

I think the next or closest we are to next breathough is smart AI. Not impressed with new iphone in general but the Siri assistant is quite a breakthough. It responds much more smartly than most people i know. People these days just say LOLLLLLLL and LMAOOOOO to everything. Idiotic. 

LOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LMAOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

oldschoolfool said:
Netyaroze said:
oldschoolfool said:
Netyaroze said:
@NobleTeam360

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110707/02133114992/flying-car-already-cleared-skies-now-cleared-roads-too.shtml --- what do you think of some simple concept like that. I'm no expert in any of this,but I have to disagree with some of what you said. What people thought impossible 100-150 yrs ago is now possible. there might not be a possilbe/practical apporach now so to speak,but maybe no one has discovered one yet. I can only imagine what's going to be possible in another 100-150 yrs from now.

Your link refers to a roadable aircraft. I already said I am not talking about hybrids of aircrafts and cars. I am talking about Back to the future flying cars. You saw that movie ?

100-150 years ago our physics were flawed and incomplete today we are very good at them and with proof that our laws are correct. This particular thing: Flying Cars like Back to the future will NEVER exist because its simply not possible. Nobody will ever find a way. If we find a way we can also break the lightspeed barrier and disolve blackholes ,disintegrate Planets and be masters of time. Again I refer to limitless flying compact cars that stay effortlessly in the air. Some kind of flying car is possible but not the cool kind were you can start from the spot fly everywhere for longer then 1 Minute with moderate noise. Sure we can build a a mini harrier jet that looks like a car and flies for a few Minutes but nothing useful.

Physics dont allow it or if you will GOD doesnt allow it. There are a few natural laws that just wont make it possible. Again I refer to cars like Back to the future and fifth Element with the same abilities as those cars. Not aircraft car hybrids which will never be mass market ready because they are far to cost intensive and need a pilot license. Also too loud or too big to replace real cars. Those "cars" are around for decades have you ever seen one ?

I wont discuss this further unless someone shows me a credible theory how to make it possible without breaking the laws of nature. Again-> like in Back to the future.

Lol, none of this is going to happen.

http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2008/10/real-mark-to-market.html

Western society is going to collapse, there are not enough resources on this planet for any of the things you wrote,
governmants let immigrants who deserve nothing and are worthless get inside their countries and take their money, instead of promoting smart pepole to explore, the big corporates promote human stupidity because this way they can sell more products that nobody needs, and pepole keep on ignoring scientific facts if they don't line up with their world view and "morals".

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

RageBot said:
Lol, none of this is going to happen.

http://gatesofvienna.blogspot.com/2008/10/real-mark-to-market.html

Western society is going to collapse, there are not enough resources on this planet for any of the things you wrote,
governmants let immigrants who deserve nothing and are worthless get inside their countries and take their money, instead of promoting smart pepole to explore, the big corporates promote human stupidity because this way they can sell more products that nobody needs, and pepole keep on ignoring scientific facts if they don't line up with their world view and "morals".

Interesting link you got there...

sapphi_snake said:
Mr Khan said:
I don't know what planet you're living on, but here on Earth things are changing more rapidly in the past 100 years than the have in the other 9,900 years since people started settling down into societies

This!

I'm not really sure I agree. I certainly seems like it, simply because they are the changes we, and our close relations, have been and are experiencing, but studying history reveals rather massive changes in technology and society in fairly short periods of time.

Perhaps will, given time, the internet be understood as no more than a natural evolution from the Gutenberg press (just to think of an example)?