By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD: X360 Selling at a higher average price than PS3

ah... indeed it is

Around the Network

Not a surprise. Xbox has built a strong brand here in the U.S.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

I still don't understand the issue, I can buy a $199 360, I can't yet for the PS3.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

At this stage of the game, it is entirely possible that systems being real close in price will get entrenched as the system to get in a given market. In North America, it means that the 360 is established, and in Japan, the 360 can't do anything, no matter how inexpensive it is. Say in Japan, the 360 were able to be obtained for free. I have doubts the Japanese market would jump on it at this point.

VGKing said:
"If consumers think that the Xbox 360 offers a better value, then the $50 PS3 price cut could bring the PS3's average price below that of the Xbox 360 without actually driving PS3 sales higher than Xbox 360 sales.”

No that's not the case. Its all brand awareness and "my friend has an Xbox so I want one too".

Part of the reasons consumers think the xbox 360 offers a better value is for EXACTLY what you said, unless you put no value to the fact that you can play games with your friends. If a system is selling better for a higher price it means consumers thinks its a better value. Simple as that.

psrock said:
I still don't understand the issue, I can buy a $199 360, I can't yet for the PS3.

The issue is that after the pricedrop, a lot of sony fans still thought the ps3 was the most expencive console, when this actually proves that at least in America, the 360 turns out to be the most expensive console. The average 360 console sells for more than the average ps3 console, thus it is more expencive. Minimum and maximum prices have nothing to do with it.

Around the Network
VGKing said:
"If consumers think that the Xbox 360 offers a better value, then the $50 PS3 price cut could bring the PS3's average price below that of the Xbox 360 without actually driving PS3 sales higher than Xbox 360 sales.”

No that's not the case. Its all brand awareness and "my friend has an Xbox so I want one too".

AKA - better value.

yo_john117 said:
Oh man this thread is going to be good!

not as good as shit storms pass but it should be interesting.

OT: why are NPD telling us the obvious?

ethomaz said:
Hummmm... maybe the Gears 3 bundle made the difference.

without a doubt! if you want to kill a price cut, release your biggest gun and shoot a whole throuh it and thats what MS did.

yo_john117 said:
D-Joe said:
isn't NPD said about 50% people buying kinect bundle,i guess thats why August average price was $280

That can't be right. If 50% of people were buying Kinect bundles in the US than Kinect Adventures would have sold roughly 25-40k per week depending in Americas a week.

Exactly why I believe Kinect Adventures has been undertracked for awhile.  For at least the last couple of months VGChartz has had non Kinect 360s out selling Kinect 360s like 8-1.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Spedfrom said:
It's a one off thing that happened in September due to the Gears 3 bundle and of course it had to be cherry picked.

No look at the table. Septembers average price for the PS3 was lower than the average price for the 360 in August...Gears 3 didn't come out until September...so expect this trend to continue until MS cuts the price of the 360.