By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD: X360 Selling at a higher average price than PS3

yo_john117 said:
Spedfrom said:
It's a one off thing that happened in September due to the Gears 3 bundle and of course it had to be cherry picked.

No look at the table. Septembers average price for the PS3 was lower than the average price for the 360 in August...Gears 3 didn't come out until September...so expect this trend to continue until MS cuts the price of the 360.

Also the PC deal brought the average selling price down.

Around the Network
Seece said:
yo_john117 said:
Spedfrom said:
It's a one off thing that happened in September due to the Gears 3 bundle and of course it had to be cherry picked.

No look at the table. Septembers average price for the PS3 was lower than the average price for the 360 in August...Gears 3 didn't come out until September...so expect this trend to continue until MS cuts the price of the 360.

Also the PC deal brought the average selling price down.

True I forgot about that. Albeit I brought it down by more than 5-10 dollars.

RolStoppable said:
Pachter's conclusions are fun as usual. For him they make sense, because he views gaming as technology driven, but in reality a phrase like "defying gravity" makes no sense to describe what happened here.

Instead of sales dropping, they are rising or staying level ... ?

The PS3 is only selling $9 less than the 360 did back in july, and maybe it also outsold the 360 nos of july. If you want to compare you can compare both ways.

Wait, doesn;t 360 retail for $300 in the US? If the average sales price is $306 now, that means that there were more LE Gears of War console bundles & Kinect bundles then Arcade sales.

Wow.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network

I'm actually surprised it's taken this long. Shows how much MS has had to overcome in the market vs Wii and Playstation brand.

Good result for MS although I'm sure this metric is going to swing back and forth going forward now depending on time period and titles in the market.

EDIT: this also speaks to how MS has had to keep 360 below PS3 as well as Sony's inability to get price lower for far too long after they started falling behind in US.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Good old reasonable

Seece said:
Good old reasonable

It's a great result for MS because it means the "total value" as viewed by customers for the console is very high.  I just figured that the console must have reached that point a while back as it's so clearly the main choice in US.  Of course deals, etc. no doubt held it back from hitting this point coupled with the higher price point of PS3 which Sony were more stuck with than anything else.  So I'm just surprised this hasn't already happened not knocking the achievement.

I've argued for ages that globally the market this gen has become heavily fragmented compared to previous gens, and this really makes that clear for me.

We now have US heavily skewed to 360, Japan heavily skewed to PS3 and EMEAA showing similar splits if you dig into the numbers a bit more - i.e. UK and some territories skewed to 360 and others to PS3 adding up to a more even total.  Meanwhile Wii peaked high but is fading while the HD consoles are trading better in every territory.

TBH I'd hate to be any of the big three trying to work out how to be top dog everywhere as it's going to be hard to do at this point I think.  Demographic splits and game/online preferences have really resulted in some big divisions of interest.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

"That's precisely what happened in September 2011. Compared to its closest competitor, Microsoft is selling 12,000 more systems per week and at a $35 higher price."

But VGChartz put 360 around 30k above PS3 every week in America?