By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after the NPD, is the 3DS doomed again?

RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:

In case you havent heard....Japan is now the 3rd largest gaming territory now, behind NA and Europe. Give me facts that say NA and Europe are supporting the PSP more then the DS and then talk to me. 

But even with your reasoning, it doesnt trump the basics of my argument. DS has more total games. DS has more quality games.  Higher market share leads to higher developer support.

The early and middle parts of the gen favoured the DS. Now, when the DS has a successor and the PSP is about to have one......some developers in Japan only mind you, are supporting the PSP more. Such late game developments never amount to much in the end, especially if its just localized to Japan and not NA/Europe. 

The majority of important handheld games have come out of Japan, so what Japanese third parties do is significantly more important than what American and European developers combined do.

The higher market share of the DS didn't help it to maintain its support. That's why the 3DS's headstart is in no way a guarantee that it has locked down third party support.

I could also throw the Wii into the mix which proved more than anything else that higher market share doesn't necessarily lead to better developer support.

Nono you aint throwing this off topic with the Wii, I am talking PSP vs DS, dedicated game machines in the handheld sector to prove a point about 3DS vs PS Vita. Keep this simple. 

Look I see your point, but this late gen resurgence of the PSP, again only in Japan (and I think you have an overinflated opinion of Japans importance over NA and Europe) aint amounting to much in the grand scheme of things. 

If you were right the DS wouldn't factually have more games and more quality games then the PSP. Again, any resurgence this late in the game won't change the DS superiority all the majority years before.......globally mind you, not just in Japan. 

I don't see how this can be explained any better. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

I see the 3DS to DS as similar to the PS3 to PS2, in that in and of itself, it is performing fine, but compared to its predecessor, it is clearly a major decline. While I don't see the 3DS as "doomed," it's a total step back from what made Nintendo so mass market with the DS, and the sad part is Nintendo doesn't seem to care, as long as they keep cranking out the games THEY like to make, even if they are extremely niche.

I'm not trying to flame Nintendo or anything, quite the opposite. I'm a huge fan and want to see them do well, and as the NES, Wii and DS has shown, they have potential to not only do well, but totally dominate. The problem is they don't seem to care about that. They only want to make the "hardcore" type of games that THEY enjoy making, regardless of the returns.

atma998 said:

lol Carl, even if ioi admitted PS2 was undertracked, did he say it was more than 5 million? No.

Also take a look at this article... it was written a year and a half ago and is referring to NPD analyst:

http://www.destructoid.com/ds-set-to-outsell-the-ps2-some-time-this-year-173837.phtml

As for Nintendo not having said the DS outsold the PS2, I don't know, seriously I'm not aware of all the PR talk, are you?. What I know is that the DS has outsold PS2 long time ago in Japan and about 1 year ago in the US. But hey, if you prefer to believe that PS2 is still #1 in sale, then be my guest.

"According to NPD analyst Anita Frazier, the United States install base of Nintendo's portable console should surpass that of the PlayStation 2 "by October or November."

US install base.

http://www.1up.com/news/nintendo-selling-console-time

(I'd like to point out that I have no opinion on the subject matter, but cherry-picking sources is silly)

The best way to go for DS vs PS2 is probably shipments, given the lack of data tracking in various markets. On the other hand this also inhibits DS some since iQue DS sales are not counted by Nintendo with their totals. As of the end of their respective Q2 their totals were:

PS2: 152.3m
DS: 147.86m (not including iQue DS)