By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after the NPD, is the 3DS doomed again?

atma998 said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

So why wasting your time on this site if you don't believe their numbers? lol All these ''PS2 is undertracked on VGC'' makes me laugh.

Reality is DS outsold PS2 LTD and it tooks less than 6 years to do so. So in the end, yes, DS is the best selling console of all time, like it or not.

It's still one of the better places to discuss sales, and they usually get the numbers right eventually.  Usually...

I guess in your reality, the DS had sold 100k more in the Americas last quarter than it had shipped.  After all, VGC said it so it must be true.  Also about 735 million units of PS2 software are still on store shelves because VGC hasn't tracked them.  It's just kind of funny.  The DS should probably get the record eventually.  I don't see why you need to use blatantly incorrect numbers unless you're worried the DS won't ever manage to beat the PS2.

No one spoke about software here cause we all know software are not all tracked contrary to hardware. Also lol about being worried DS won't ever beat PS2 numbers, I don't see how it can happens unless the DS has negative sales from now on...

Like I said before, some people here just hate to see Nintendo on top

The thing about the DS and the PS2 is that both of them are on their way out, so stores are not going to be keeping much in extra stock.  In all likelihood, there are probably more DSs on shelves than there are PS2s.  And the latest shipment data we have has the PS2 at 152.3 million and the DS at 147.86 million.  That is pretty close, however, the PS2 only shipped 40K less than the DS for the Apr-June quarter.  So, there may actually be a chance that the PS2 is going to remain the top selling console of all time, since I still see it sticking around for quite awhile longer.  The DS, on the other hand, is probably going to slowly drop below the PS2's sales as Nintendo starts to push the 3DS even more, maybe even taking it off of shelves in 2012.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
atma998 said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

So why wasting your time on this site if you don't believe their numbers? lol All these ''PS2 is undertracked on VGC'' makes me laugh.

Reality is DS outsold PS2 LTD and it tooks less than 6 years to do so. So in the end, yes, DS is the best selling console of all time, like it or not.

It's still one of the better places to discuss sales, and they usually get the numbers right eventually.  Usually...

I guess in your reality, the DS had sold 100k more in the Americas last quarter than it had shipped.  After all, VGC said it so it must be true.  Also about 735 million units of PS2 software are still on store shelves because VGC hasn't tracked them.  It's just kind of funny.  The DS should probably get the record eventually.  I don't see why you need to use blatantly incorrect numbers unless you're worried the DS won't ever manage to beat the PS2.

No one spoke about software here cause we all know software are not all tracked contrary to hardware. Also lol about being worried DS won't ever beat PS2 numbers, I don't see how it can happens unless the DS has negative sales from now on...

The thing about the DS and the PS2 is that both of them are on their way out, so stores are not going to be keeping much in extra stock.  In all likelihood, there are probably more DSs on shelves than there are PS2s.  And the latest shipment data we have has the PS2 at 152.3 million and the DS at 147.86 million.  That is pretty close, however, the PS2 only shipped 40K less than the DS for the Apr-June quarter.  So, there may actually be a chance that the PS2 is going to remain the top selling console of all time, since I still see it sticking around for quite awhile longer.  The DS, on the other hand, is probably going to slowly drop below the PS2's sales as Nintendo starts to push the 3DS even more, maybe even taking it off of shelves in 2012.

The thing is there is way more PS2 on shelves than DS considering their main market at the moment are emergent countries where they are plenty of PS2s. Also, you say DS won't sell anymore because of the 3DS release but what you ignore is the fact that the PS2 sold a lot of million units after the PS3's launch and so did the GBA after the DS launch.

One more thing, DS is actually selling 2-3 times what PS2 is selling on a weekly basis and this number will grow even more during the holidays.

BluGamer23 said:
NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Christian973 said:
NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:

Isn't that a little misleading when the console needed a 70 dollar price cut so early to even compete

?

There's no competition right now for 3DS. Vita is not released, and PSP still sells below DS (which has the succesor out there).

Right not competition.  But Nintendo was obviously not pleased with the sales for such a massive price cut.  It was putting up poor numbers.  His picture makes it seem like 3DS has done better than it has, it couldn't even come close to "best selling" if it wasn't for the cut.

By your post, then the Vita is pretty much fucked in the west since it's $249.99 + tax + memory card+ 40 - 50 dollar games + tax.

The Vita system is actually worth 250, which 3DS was not.  If you don't agree, this argument will go nowhere.

It doesn't matter if the hardware is worth it or not but Vita, as of right now with all the things i listed, costs over 350 dollars. More than a PS3. That is NOT a mass market price in this economy that we live in. 3DS proved that high priced dedicated gaming devices just won't sell no matter what the hardware is.Especially now with iTouches and iPhones.

The only thing the 3DS proved is how to have a failure of a launch.  Just because the 3DS had a miserable launch, doesn't mean one can't succeed with a good launch.

I believe you are talking about the PSP Go here.. it proved how to have a failure of a launch.. and no amount of price drop and freebies could have saved it.. it failed .. long gone and good bye!... so thats a better example!

Don't be a jerk, I responded sternly that way because he similarly responded like a jerk.  The 3DS was a failure of a launch, any reasonable peron sees this.  They have recovered somewhat, but have lost a tremendous amount in intended income and current numbers still don't look great.  The PSP Go wasn't a new console, like 3DS is.  The PSP had already succeeded, 3DS is a much bigger deal than the PSP Go experiment.

atma998 said:
thismeintiel said:
atma998 said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

The thing is there is way more PS2 on shelves than DS considering their main market at the moment are emergent countries where they are plenty of PS2s. Also, you say DS won't sell anymore because of the 3DS release but what you ignore is the fact that the PS2 sold a lot of million units after the PS3's launch and so did the GBA avec the DS launch.

One more thing, DS is actually selling 2-3 times what PS2 is selling on a weekly basis and this number will grow even more during the holidays.

Point still stands, DS is not way ahead like you claim, it is behind a bit in all likelihood.  It's curious why you mind so much when it's so close anyway.  They're both on the wayo out, let's just check again in a few months, when they're more dead and see what happens.

NYANKS said:
atma998 said:
thismeintiel said:
atma998 said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

The thing is there is way more PS2 on shelves than DS considering their main market at the moment are emergent countries where they are plenty of PS2s. Also, you say DS won't sell anymore because of the 3DS release but what you ignore is the fact that the PS2 sold a lot of million units after the PS3's launch and so did the GBA avec the DS launch.

Point still stands, DS is not way ahead like you claim, it is behind a bit in all likelihood.  It's curious why you mind so much when it's so close anyway.  They're both on the wayo out, let's just check again in a few months, when they're more dead and see what happens.

Ok lets keep it simple, you claim PS2 is still ahead of DS without any proof to back you up, except shipping numbers, and I say that according to VCG numbers DS outsold PS2 long time ago (units sold to consumers).

Anyway the fact that it tooks nearly half the time for DS to achieve PS2 LTD sales says a lot about which system is the best selling and knowing that the 3DS is selling at the same pace (so far) as DS prove at least that it is plain ridiculous to claim that 3DS is doomed at the moment. That's all.

Around the Network
atma998 said:
NYANKS said:
atma998 said:
thismeintiel said:
atma998 said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

Ok lets keep it simple, you claim PS2 is still ahead of DS without any proof to back you up, except shipping numbers, and I say that according to VCG numbers DS outsold PS2 long time ago (units sold to consumers).

Anyway the fact that it tooks nearly half the time for DS to achieve PS2 LTD sales says a lot about which system is the best selling and knowing that the 3DS is selling at the same pace (so far) as DS prove at least that it is plain ridiculous to claim that 3DS is doomed at the moment. That's all.

I am keeping it simple.  The people who post the very numbers you are citing say I'm right, and you are wrong. I don't know how I can be more plain there.  The DS is a handheld.  It is a tremendous accomplishment, but I will be truly wowed when a home console does it.  It should happen, as the industry is growing, it's just numbers.  It really is fine with me.

I'm not saying it wont sell a lot, of course it will.  But when Nintendo has to reduce their expected fiscal gain by more than 80 % and incur hardware losses to just get close to DS numbers as people keep touting, it doesn't seem as impressive.   I never said it was doomed, I only said I think the 3DS has been mediocre so far, gameswise and fiscally.

NYANKS said:
atma998 said:
NYANKS said:
atma998 said:
thismeintiel said:
atma998 said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

I am keeping it simple.  The people who post the very numbers you are citing say I'm right, and you are wrong. I don't know how I can be more plain there.  The DS is a handheld.  It is a tremendous accomplishment, but I will be truly wowed when a home console does it.  It should happen, as the industry is growing, it's just numbers.  It really is fine with me.

I'm not saying it wont sell a lot, of course it will.  But when Nintendo has to reduce their expected fiscal gain by more than 80 % and incur hardware losses to just get close to DS numbers as people keep touting, it doesn't seem as impressive.   I never said it was doomed, I only said I think the 3DS has been mediocre so far, gameswise and fiscally.

Well I can't wait to see you commenting PS Vita's 1st year then.

... lets all just wait for the vita to release shall we... silly to talk about launch failures now when its competition hasnt releasesed yet..
it be more interesting to talk about the 3DS failures then.. since it failed on the current price point of the vita.. will see if the vita it self can sell at that price..

how long is a launch period anyway? 3DS has been given less than 4 months and it was already called a launch failure.. same standards should apply!.. no excuses.

atma998 said:
NYANKS said:
atma998 said:
NYANKS said:
atma998 said:
thismeintiel said:
atma998 said:
Yakuzaice said:
atma998 said:

Well I can't wait to see you commenting PS Vita's 1st year then.

I will.  3DS will still beat Vita imo, beating a Nintendo handheld is no simple feat.  If Sony simply releases what they've shown in less than 6 months after launch (which they will), I can't see the games being worse in the beginning.  Have you found the game situation with the 3DS to your liking so far? Some definitely have found it fine, just wondering.

Yes, 3DS is doomed and it won't sell EVER, anyone who dissagrees with me is wrong!!!
***lalalalalalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalalalala***