By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Republicans scared away part of their own base.

So I was talking to one of my Arab friends today and he was watching one of those "Border" patrol shows and complaining about how if the two of us applied for a job at any office in the area, that between us, despite me having a college degree, he'd be the one hired because he speaks spanish.  Which is granted, fairly true but still....

It got me thinking... basically Arab I know is actually pretty Rightwing,  they hate Obama pretty harshly,  etc etc.

Is it just a case anecdotal evidence?

So I looked it up, and as it turns out...  Arabs were very likely to vote Republican and register republican... up until 2001.

Kinda funny when you think about it.  

Around the Network

Side note on this ...

Much like in the United States, immigrants in Canada tend to be fairly conservative but have a long history of voting for the Liberals. Since Stephen Harper took control of the Conservative party there has been significant efforts to reach out to immigrant groups and (as a result) they have made serious inroads in this community, and their new support is one of the reasons cited for their new majority government.

spurgeonryan said:
I was likely to vote republican until The Bush came along as well. From then on I voted for Carey, and ...well I sent an absentee ballot for Obama, but it was returned to sender somehow. But I will vote the same way for the rest of my life now because of The Bush.

Really, even if someone like Ron Paul were to come to office, who doesn't have anything against local arabs and generally is for some things that are considered "Pro arab positioning."

Such as stopping all federal aid to Israel.

spurgeonryan said:
I was likely to vote republican until The Bush came along as well. From then on I voted for Carey, and ...well I sent an absentee ballot for Obama, but it was returned to sender somehow. But I will vote the same way for the rest of my life now because of The Bush.

This is a position I don't (really) understand ...

By pledging your support for life to the Democrats regardless of what they (or the Republicans) do you have essentially made your desires meaningless to either party; after all the Democrats don’t have to do anything to maintain your support, and the Republicans can’t do anything to win your support.

If you notice the people who actually get listened to by either party are those individuals who are in swing states, or in identifiable groups who’s vote is perceived to be "up for grabs".

HappySqurriel said:
Side note on this ...

Much like in the United States, immigrants in Canada tend to be fairly conservative but have a long history of voting for the Liberals. Since Stephen Harper took control of the Conservative party there has been significant efforts to reach out to immigrant groups and (as a result) they have made serious inroads in this community, and their new support is one of the reasons cited for their new majority government.

Yeah, minority groups voting against their own interests is fairly common.  What seemed most interesting to me though was a case of seeing this actually happen in action due to a specific position taken.

Around the Network

I don't get why people are so caught up in Democrats vs. Republicans. These parties shouldn't exist. All it does is make people more stupid. They're all politicians, they're scandalous and they don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. Be like me and hate them all.

Level1Death said:
I don't get why people are so caught up in Democrats vs. Republicans. These parties shouldn't exist. All it does is make people more stupid. They're all politicians, they're scandalous and they don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. Be like me and hate them all.

this but sadly it means nothing because those that fit the same idiologies would ban together making your staement meanningless but your right.

OT: Republicans have been stupid for yrs so this doesn't surprise me. if everyone that votes for them wouldwake up and see wht there not doing which is nothing then you'd never see one elected.

the Republican party is nothing but the same modern day terrorist we've fought in Bushes war. we all should know by now Repulicans don't change, and thats why they refused to help the Dem's while they were in power and they haven't done anything significant since the won just nearing 1 yr ago.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Level1Death said:

this but sadly it means nothing because those that fit the same idiologies would ban together making your staement meanningless but your right.

OT: Republicans have been stupid for yrs so this doesn't surprise me. if everyone that votes for them wouldwake up and see wht there not doing which is nothing then you'd never see one elected.

Actually, i'd say doing nothing is quite preferable to the alternative options being presented currently.

It has a better chance of fixing the economy or at least not making it worse.

More stimulus spending that didn't work and tax cuts that last a year aren't going to change anything except maybe improve thing for about a year at the cost of explosivly raising the national debt.

From what I understand - Republicans = the stupid party, whose people think the sun revolves around the earth, and don't know where Iraq is on a map.

Maybe that is what keeps people away. It's somewhat surprising that about half of the US seems to vote for them - this is why a lot of stereotypes about Americans exist.

User has been moderated for this post - Kantor

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Level1Death said:

Don't hate them. Pity them with their small minded games, and weep for humanity.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix