By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greatest Industry Icon Tournament: Gabe Newell Vs. Satoru Iwata

I don't think he can beat the opposition here, but I vote for Gabe Newell all the same.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:
gumby_trucker said:
Joelcool7 said:

Its a real close one as Gabe has actually made games and Iwata simply sells them and makes them successful.

you, my friend, appear to be misinformed.

That wouldn't be the first time.

In all honesty I could have sworn he worked on the first Half-Life prior to his development of Steam and such. I mean the guy co-founded Valve and it did make a game before he began work on Steam and other projects. I could have sworn he was involved in making the game. Also I was trying to be polite and give him credit where it is do. I don't think Steam comes anywhere close to any of the things Miyamoto has accomplished.

But I will admit I am not the most knowledgable when it comes to Valve! As for Rol's comment yah yah I'll catch another of your mistakes soon. Only problem is you can get away with calling them jokes or humorous and everyone will believe you. Myself on the other hand am not known to create threads for comedy by screwing up facts!

Well, this was strike two, but third time is the charm. Try to get it right, otherwise you are out.

Get what right? I explained why I made my statement and acknowledged I am not the most knowledgable when it comes to Valve. If you read my post I clearly said "I could have sworn he worked on the first Half-Life prior to his development of Steam" I didn't state he did so its just the impression I was under when I made the statement.

Geeze Rol how can I get a strike based on admitting I was wrong? You should really read comments more carefully before pouncing also I must admit this is the second mistake I have been called out on in the past two weeks. Considering how many topics I create and how many replies I make I am not that ashamed.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Gabe

Iwata-san.

Iwata!

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Joelcool7 said:

Get what right? I explained why I made my statement and acknowledged I am not the most knowledgable when it comes to Valve. If you read my post I clearly said "I could have sworn he worked on the first Half-Life prior to his development of Steam" I didn't state he did so its just the impression I was under when I made the statement.

Geeze Rol how can I get a strike based on admitting I was wrong? You should really read comments more carefully before pouncing also I must admit this is the second mistake I have been called out on in the past two weeks. Considering how many topics I create and how many replies I make I am not that ashamed.

I'll give you a hint. The main reason why you were originally quoted was not because you said that Gabe Newell actually made games. 

If thats the case then I really didn't say anything non-factual at all. I used wording that may not have been the best but everything I said was true in that case. "Simply" may not have been a good choice of words but as Nintendo President Iwata sells Nintendo's content (Games) its his job to ensure that Nintendo's games sell.

That is in no way false, you see E3 and almost every other event Nintendo appears at and holds any type of conference who is almost always present selling Nintendo's products to the population? Iwata sells the games as much if not more then Reggie did when he was marketing VP at NOA.

The reason Iwata is so well known as a President is because he actually sells his products. I rarely see Andrew House  out there selling the software at each conference. Some companies Presidents leave the selling all to there marketing staff and other employees but Nintendo's President is very involved.

Maybe instead of referring to simply selling Nintendo's games I should have said running Nintendo in its entirety which I definitely suggested in the post.

Joelcool7 said:

But Iwata turned Nintendo's fortunes around and revived them in a way no other ceo has done in the gaming world.

This is what happens when I try to post a short reply. I end up getting criticized for not going into the greatest detail or saying something in one sentence without further explaining it. Exactly why I usually create longer responses!

-JC7

Great match up! Gotta give the edge to Iwata though.

Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:
Joelcool7 said:

I'll give you a hint. The main reason why you were originally quoted was not because you said that Gabe Newell actually made games. 

If thats the case then I really didn't say anything non-factual at all. I used wording that may not have been the best but everything I said was true in that case. "Simply" may not have been a good choice of words but as Nintendo President Iwata sells Nintendo's content (Games) its his job to ensure that Nintendo's games sell.

That is in no way false, you see E3 and almost every other event Nintendo appears at and holds any type of conference who is almost always present selling Nintendo's products to the population? Iwata sells the games as much if not more then Reggie did when he was marketing VP at NOA.

The reason Iwata is so well known as a President is because he actually sells his products. I rarely see Andrew House  out there selling the software at each conference. Some companies Presidents leave the selling all to there marketing staff and other employees but Nintendo's President is very involved.

Maybe instead of referring to simply selling Nintendo's games I should have said running Nintendo in its entirety which I definitely suggested in the post.

Joelcool7 said:

But Iwata turned Nintendo's fortunes around and revived them in a way no other ceo has done in the gaming world.

This is what happens when I try to post a short reply. I end up getting criticized for not going into the greatest detail or saying something in one sentence without further explaining it. Exactly why I usually create longer responses!

so many words... not a single one right*.

*aka to the point.

edit: I see Rol finally put this debate out of its misery...

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

RolStoppable said:
Joelcool7 said:

Joelcool7 said:

Satoru Iwata started his career as a programmer at HAL Laboratories and worked on games like Kirby before he went up the career ladder and eventually became the president of Nintendo. Iwata was an actual game developer.

I am aware of that, I was trying to sensationalize Gabe's career in my initial response. But I guess this was missed, most users who have a keen understanding of my positions on the games industry know I don't have the highest opinion of Valve. As someone who is against digital distribution, episodic releases and think big budget PC games aren't worth investing in I'd expect you to catch this.

It wasn't sarcasm it was sensationalizing Gabe's acheivements and sympathsizing with his supporters to avoid conflict and make him look good.Remember that I am used to writing news reports in a newspaper for games and movies as well as reporting game news. In journalism you often sensationalize to keep stories appealing to both the public and the developers themselves.Though I gotta admit in this case I did phrase my response in a way that can be misconstrued purposely. When I wrote what I wrote I though Gabe was the guy behind Half Life like Miyamoto behind Mario. Iwata to my knowledge has not actually made a game in the same sense as I thought Gabe had. But as I pointed out earlier I made a mistake, my choice of words were a sensation of the truth which I guess borderlines a lie.

Its spinning, something journalists do all the time. The problem with sensationalizing someones achievements and spinning their contributions to look as good or superior to another individual is that your article will be seen as bias. But if you do not spin your article at all it will also be seen as bias. Journalists sensationalize articles often because our sources want to see that they're products are getting a good treatment. Of course reviewers don't sensationalize their reviews because reviews are meant to be un-biased. However a news story can be sensationalized to a degree to ensure your source and audience are happy.

I tried to show no bias in my choice by sensationalizing Gabe to make it appear he was a worthy adversary to Iwata. At the cost of Iwata something I wouldn't do in a proffesional article at least not the degree I did here. But this is a game forum and I was trying to not upset Gabe supporters I also don't have to worry about sources of the various companies seing this as a proffesional work.

-JC7

Iwata