By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 2012 - *February* Update

ZaneWane said:
DarkDesent666 said:
ZaneWane said:
all talk about micrcosoft spending more but no source

tv is a source turn it on 
not to mention this 

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/18/microsoft-to-spend-one-billion-dollars-advertising-kinect-and-wi/

kinect and windows phone not just kinect

You're right they must be spending 999,999,999.99 on windows phones and one cent on kinect... At least 500 mil of that is going to kinect, which is alot and far more then I've seen Sony use on ps3 in a single campaign 

thx1139 said:
DarkDesent666 said:
ZaneWane said:

not to mention this 

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/18/microsoft-to-spend-one-billion-dollars-advertising-kinect-and-wi/

Oh my God we are still talking about the advertising and marketing that started in Summer of 2010.  Get over it and I tell you one other thing I have yet to see one Kinect commercial or advertising campaign that is not an Xbox 360 / Xbox 360 game advertisement.

That's my point 360 sells due to massive amounts of advertisement.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
thx1139 said:
DarkDesent666 said:
ZaneWane said:

not to mention this 

Oh my God we are still talking about the advertising and marketing that started in Summer of 2010.  Get over it and I tell you one other thing I have yet to see one Kinect commercial or advertising campaign that is not an Xbox 360 / Xbox 360 game advertisement.

Still sheep spout the same mantra they have read elsewhere....  i have disproved this many times...  its a case of fingers in ears and "la la laaaa... cant hear you!!!"

And what proof does he have... his own viewing experience on TV....  genius.

By all means show some proof.

DarkDesent666 said:
ZaneWane said:
DarkDesent666 said:
ZaneWane said:

not to mention this 

You're right they must be spending 999,999,999.99 on windows phones and one cent on kinect... At least 500 mil of that is going to kinect, which is alot and far more then I've seen Sony use on ps3 in a single campaign 

thx1139 said:
DarkDesent666 said:
ZaneWane said:

not to mention this 

Wow if that is the case maybe Sony shouldnt have cut the price of the PS3 and simply just advertised more.  Get over it that was the advertising and marketing for a whole year. 

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

DarkDesent666 said:
ZaneWane said:
DarkDesent666 said:
ZaneWane said:

not to mention this 

thx1139 said:
DarkDesent666 said:
ZaneWane said:

not to mention this 

You do realize that Sony has plenty of advertisements as well, right?  Advertising is a big part of business.  It is one of the reasons the 360 sells, but it is not the only.  It is also one of the reasons the PS3 sells as well. Claiming that the 360 sells mainly due to advertisements is so pointless.  Why do some of you people keep bringing this up like it matters?

Anyone know when the next sales figures will be updated?

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

Around the Network
thx1139 said:
Wow if that is the case maybe Sony shouldnt have cut the price of the PS3 and simply just advertised more.  Get over it that was the advertising and marketing for a whole year.  

Lets see they sold how many consoles since the price cut? I'm too lazy to look it up so I'll just high ball it at 10 million (since 10 is easy with math) and they cut it by 50 so 50 times 10mil is 500 mil, wow less then MS spent and that's way more then ps3 sold since the price cut. So cutting the price was cheaper then advertising as much as MS does.

Capulous said:You do realize that Sony has plenty of advertisements as well, right?  Advertising is a big part of business.  It is one of the reasons the 360 sells, but it is not the only.  It is also one of the reasons the PS3 sells as well. Claiming that the 360 sells mainly due to advertisements is so pointless.  Why do some of you people keep bringing this up like it matters?

MS spends far more on advertising then Sony ever does and yes advertisement is the only reason the 360 sells. Kinect doesn't even work, 360 has next to no games comming out, it's more expensive then the ps3 right now, it charges for online (which isn't marginally better then psn and worse then pc), 360 has no selling points.

Numbers are up, 300k difference between PS3 and 360 last week

Seece said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
thx1139 said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
It just took $1B marketing budget to almost erase that 1.5M units gap reduction PS3 achieved in the first 10 months of the year.

What is the source of this?  If it is true isnt it even more incredible that that 360 division will likely make at least $1.5B this year in profit and PS3 will just make a small profit.

It's just their PR (the first source I found is this one http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136608&page=1 ), but like about last year's half billion, they kept it very vague, they just stated they doubled the marketing budget, they stressed Kinect's role, but they didn't specify the timespan for that budget, although it should be at latest until the end of this fiscal year.

XB360, besides XBL revenue, enjoys also a crazy tie ratio, not to mention proprietary HDDs and 1st party and authorized 3rd party peripherals, MS can afford a huge marketing budget. This doesn't deny that erasing that gap reduction cost MS quite a hefty sum. But just like Sony, also MS will benefit from keeping the brand name healthy and strong (in Sony case, making it healthy and strong again) as next gen approaches. It's an investment not just for the short term.

Kowen has already cleared this up, Nintendo and Sony spend nigh on the same amount. It's a weak shot anyway, the fact they did it without a price cut more then negates what was spent on advertising.

Can you provide a link to where he cleared it up?

Last time I questioned him about it, he provided the Nintendo figure, which was lower, for adversting spend across both the Wii and the DS. Considering they're the market leader and it was across two platforms, the MS figure still looks gigantic.

I've seen no figures for how much Sony spent.

No I can't, not as if I keep tabs on it is it?

So X360 is behind 200k for the year, interesting. Should be very close by year end.

amaral_slb said:

Numbers are up, 300k difference between PS3 and 360 last week

Yep it's pretty much set in stone that the 360 won't take the PS3 for the year.