By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What can Microsoft do to win next gen on consoles?

Lets see..

-No RROD issues like the 360 had
-Buy several more 1st party studios
-Continue support for established games like Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable, but also create several more new IP's
-Continue to support kinect
-Continue the amazing support for XBL and XBLA
-Expand apawn the Live TV service that will come out this fall because it could become huge.
-Continue support with 3rd party developers
-Blu-Ray or some other format
-Reasonable price at launch
-Backwards compatibility

Around the Network
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
They had alot of advantages this gen that they won't have next gen so I think it will be very hard for them to win next gen (they are barely in 2ed place this gen with all of those advantages).

1. First and foremost they need to get more 1st parties and make more games, timed exclusives won't be an option if ps4 or wiiU have a significantly larger userbase early on and I think people are wise to it now.

2. They need to have their console reliable from the start, if there are any reports of failures early in the gen MS will lose millions of sales.

3. Free online. Sony has closed in on the level of service MS provides with their online, and with them getting cross game chat next gen (they are doing it for psv they will do it for ps4) and likely improving the service further there won't much to distinguish the services other then one costs and the other one doesn't.

4. Blu ray player. Blu ray is growing as a movie medium and dvd is outdated this gen next gen it will be ancient.

5. Undercut the ps4 price by 100 at launch.

6. Include wifi and have internal battery in their controllers from the start.

I think M$ should keep the online paid service, that makes up for any loses. No free online play, and make there hardware more reliable.

It might make them more profit but they won't win if they keep paid online, especially since psn will almost if not equal it next gen and Nintendo is making strives too and pc already surpasses it and all 3 are free.

Equally yes but ps3 lack multi tasking which xbox does good so mix online with cross game chat and multi tasking = beast plus xbox offers a ton of features that i like as a gamer

Sony is fixing the OS multitasking issues with psv you really don't think they'll fix it with ps4? Also what tons of features? Sony has been adding features one by one there are only a few left and will all be fixed with the OS with the ps4.

Ps vita but how about the ps3?

rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
BHR-3 said:
maintain the exclusive releases of mature rated games with unmatched features like they did this gen and come out with i few other genres its lacking like action/adventure, platformer

keep up with the exclusive deals timed DLC and even games

a free online services even if it has to be stripped down

better reliable HW cant have what we had with the rrod

What are you talking about I can't think of a single mature rated 360 exclusive that has unmatched features, can you name a few specific features that you are talking about? I don't think timed exclusive deals are going to be enough next time they need to make more games.

Games like Gears of war had horde,beast,4 player co-op, Halo has 4 player co-op, forge,theater mode,fire fight, a ton of mp mode 16 in total and community modes,community maps ect a ton of support for xbox games and features that what M$ and there studios know how to do and don't forget  PGR to most peole those are selling points those games offer a ton of replay value we xboxers lke Replay value don't you?

All of those features are in many games, especially horde/fire fight mode .

Please name one ps3 exlusive that has all those features please thank you = D

You want me to name a ps3 exclusive that has as many modes as 2 360 exclusives and it has to be a shooter. Unfair comparisons much? But anyways that's besides the point, no 360 exclusive has modes like the ps3 exclusive MAG does, does that make those modes a major selling point for ps3? So many games have so many modes, to say 2 games with common modes is a selling feature for a console is ridicules not to mention the whole ignoring every genre but shooters. For example God of War has Combat Arena arena mode and I can't think of a single 360 hack and slash with that mode (note God of War is a mature rated game)

You fail to mention one game sir, oh plus frontlines fuel of wars has more features than MAG google it 60 player online with 20 game mode 12 hour single player tanks, and jets and nukes plus dedicated servers good game but old, sorry good sir what god of war are you talking about? i have God of war 3 and i haven;t seen no combat mode.

More features doesn't = the same features, and you have yet to state one game that has MAGs modes or God of Wars extra modes. I found the extra modes in 1 or 2 I imagine it's the same with 3, they aren't hidden and are there so if you can't find them you must have not looked for any bonuses. You also failed to address how any of that is a selling point for a console when the modes are common, the reason I didn't name a game is because I'm not big on shooters MAG and bioshock are the only ones I own.

I haven't played MAG my good sir, i have god of war 3 but it doesn't have that feature . Doesn't matter if your a fan of shooters or not example Fable or forza 3 have a ton of things that off replay value by any chance do you have a xbox?

kain_kusanagi said:
More than anything Microsoft needs to invest in exclusive software. Nothing is more important to potential buyers than seeing killer apps available on only one devise. The first couple years of a consoles life hinge on exclusives. As the years go by they become less important but the next Xbox will need Halo, Forza, Fable, and new IP as well as bring franchises back like Perfect Dark, Crimson Skies, Mechwarrior, etc. Microsoft also needs to invest in expending their first party developers. Nintendo and Sony have dozens of teams working on exclusives while MS likes to pay for publishing rights and timed exclusives. That's fine and it's worked so far, but will Gears of War be exclusive to the next Xbox? Epic owns it so who knows. Mass Effect went multiplatform and so did Bioshock. If Microsoft wants to stay on top they are going to need more AAA 1st party games pumped out by dedicated AAA 1st party developers.

I think M$ has there killer app already Halo and Gears, if anything ps3 needs a killer app to sell like crazy

xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
They had alot of advantages this gen that they won't have next gen so I think it will be very hard for them to win next gen (they are barely in 2ed place this gen with all of those advantages).

1. First and foremost they need to get more 1st parties and make more games, timed exclusives won't be an option if ps4 or wiiU have a significantly larger userbase early on and I think people are wise to it now.

2. They need to have their console reliable from the start, if there are any reports of failures early in the gen MS will lose millions of sales.

3. Free online. Sony has closed in on the level of service MS provides with their online, and with them getting cross game chat next gen (they are doing it for psv they will do it for ps4) and likely improving the service further there won't much to distinguish the services other then one costs and the other one doesn't.

4. Blu ray player. Blu ray is growing as a movie medium and dvd is outdated this gen next gen it will be ancient.

I think M$ should keep the online paid service, that makes up for any loses. No free online play, and make there hardware more reliable.

It might make them more profit but they won't win if they keep paid online, especially since psn will almost if not equal it next gen and Nintendo is making strives too and pc already surpasses it and all 3 are free.

Equally yes but ps3 lack multi tasking which xbox does good so mix online with cross game chat and multi tasking = beast plus xbox offers a ton of features that i like as a gamer

Sony is fixing the OS multitasking issues with psv you really don't think they'll fix it with ps4? Also what tons of features? Sony has been adding features one by one there are only a few left and will all be fixed with the OS with the ps4.

We aren't talking about ps3 we are talking about next gen which would be ps4. Sony screwed up on the OS for ps3 and they paid for it but they are going to fix it next gen taking away another one of MSes advantages next gen. They are bearing beating Sony this gen, if they do the same thing next they will be in last place. (unless Nintendo really bombs with the wiiU)

Around the Network
xS7SxSNIPER said:
kain_kusanagi said:
More than anything Microsoft needs to invest in exclusive software. Nothing is more important to potential buyers than seeing killer apps available on only one devise. The first couple years of a consoles life hinge on exclusives. As the years go by they become less important but the next Xbox will need Halo, Forza, Fable, and new IP as well as bring franchises back like Perfect Dark, Crimson Skies, Mechwarrior, etc. Microsoft also needs to invest in expending their first party developers. Nintendo and Sony have dozens of teams working on exclusives while MS likes to pay for publishing rights and timed exclusives. That's fine and it's worked so far, but will Gears of War be exclusive to the next Xbox? Epic owns it so who knows. Mass Effect went multiplatform and so did Bioshock. If Microsoft wants to stay on top they are going to need more AAA 1st party games pumped out by dedicated AAA 1st party developers.

I think M$ has there killer app already Halo and Gears, if anything ps3 needs a killer app to sell like crazy

PS3 does have a lot of good titles that sell a good bit. Gran Turismo 5 has outsold Gears of War 1 and 2, and only 3 of the Halo titles have sold more than GT5. It's just that the PS3 doesn't have the big number of hits like the 360, but don't discount the fact that they do have many games that sold quite well. The spin you're putting on it seems like they barely have any games that sold over a million units.

xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
BHR-3 said:
maintain the exclusive releases of mature rated games with unmatched features like they did this gen and come out with i few other genres its lacking like action/adventure, platformer

keep up with the exclusive deals timed DLC and even games

a free online services even if it has to be stripped down

better reliable HW cant have what we had with the rrod

What are you talking about I can't think of a single mature rated 360 exclusive that has unmatched features, can you name a few specific features that you are talking about? I don't think timed exclusive deals are going to be enough next time they need to make more games.

Games like Gears of war had horde,beast,4 player co-op, Halo has 4 player co-op, forge,theater mode,fire fight, a ton of mp mode 16 in total and community modes,community maps ect a ton of support for xbox games and features that what M$ and there studios know how to do and don't forget  PGR to most peole those are selling points those games offer a ton of replay value we xboxers lke Replay value don't you?

All of those features are in many games, especially horde/fire fight mode .

Please name one ps3 exlusive that has all those features please thank you = D

You want me to name a ps3 exclusive that has as many modes as 2 360 exclusives and it has to be a shooter. Unfair comparisons much? But anyways that's besides the point, no 360 exclusive has modes like the ps3 exclusive MAG does, does that make those modes a major selling point for ps3? So many games have so many modes, to say 2 games with common modes is a selling feature for a console is ridicules not to mention the whole ignoring every genre but shooters. For example God of War has Combat Arena arena mode and I can't think of a single 360 hack and slash with that mode (note God of War is a mature rated game)

You fail to mention one game sir, oh plus frontlines fuel of wars has more features than MAG google it 60 player online with 20 game mode 12 hour single player tanks, and jets and nukes plus dedicated servers good game but old, sorry good sir what god of war are you talking about? i have God of war 3 and i haven;t seen no combat mode.

More features doesn't = the same features, and you have yet to state one game that has MAGs modes or God of Wars extra modes. I found the extra modes in 1 or 2 I imagine it's the same with 3, they aren't hidden and are there so if you can't find them you must have not looked for any bonuses. You also failed to address how any of that is a selling point for a console when the modes are common, the reason I didn't name a game is because I'm not big on shooters MAG and bioshock are the only ones I own.

I haven't played MAG my good sir, i have god of war 3 but it doesn't have that feature . Doesn't matter if your a fan of shooters or not example Fable or forza 3 have a ton of things that off replay value by any chance do you have a xbox?

Yes God of War does, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPCtBbKvTzw you probably just haven't unlocked it yet. My point about not being a fan of shooters was I honestly don't know what ps3 exclusives have those shooter modes and which ones don't as for the non-shooting 360 exclusive they are few, far between and usually not good. I don't care about games like forza and fable is getting worse every game, and yes I have one, parents got it for me as a present, currently not working though and probably never will be again.

MasterVG71782 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
kain_kusanagi said:

PS3 does have a lot of good titles that sell a good bit. Gran Turismo 5 has outsold Gears of War 1 and 2, and only 3 of the Halo titles have sold more than GT5. It's just that the PS3 doesn't have the big number of hits like the 360, but don't discount the fact that they do have many games that sold quite well. The spin you're putting on it seems like they barely have any games that sold over a million units.

MS advertises those titles alot more then Sony does theirs to so that can factor into sales, and Sony does have alot more variety of games, I really don't think it makes a difference if you have 8 mil people getting your console for 1 game or 8 mil people getting your console for 4 games other then after you have the console you have more of a selection.

rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:

We aren't talking about ps3 we are talking about next gen which would be ps4. Sony screwed up on the OS for ps3 and they paid for it but they are going to fix it next gen taking away another one of MSes advantages next gen. They are bearing beating Sony this gen, if they do the same thing next they will be in last place. (unless Nintendo really bombs with the wiiU)

Oh is were talking about Next gen right now then sorry M$ isn't stupid there going to come up with something  that gets them on top

xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:

Oh is were talking about Next gen right now then sorry M$ isn't stupid there going to come up with something  that gets them on top

Way to miss the entire point of the thread. Do me a favor and read the thread title again.