By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What can Microsoft do to win next gen on consoles?

rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
BHR-3 said:
maintain the exclusive releases of mature rated games with unmatched features like they did this gen and come out with i few other genres its lacking like action/adventure, platformer

keep up with the exclusive deals timed DLC and even games

a free online services even if it has to be stripped down

better reliable HW cant have what we had with the rrod

What are you talking about I can't think of a single mature rated 360 exclusive that has unmatched features, can you name a few specific features that you are talking about? I don't think timed exclusive deals are going to be enough next time they need to make more games.

Games like Gears of war had horde,beast,4 player co-op, Halo has 4 player co-op, forge,theater mode,fire fight, a ton of mp mode 16 in total and community modes,community maps ect a ton of support for xbox games and features that what M$ and there studios know how to do and don't forget  PGR to most peole those are selling points those games offer a ton of replay value we xboxers lke Replay value don't you?

All of those features are in many games, especially horde/fire fight mode .

Please name one ps3 exlusive that has all those features please thank you = D

You want me to name a ps3 exclusive that has as many modes as 2 360 exclusives and it has to be a shooter. Unfair comparisons much? But anyways that's besides the point, no 360 exclusive has modes like the ps3 exclusive MAG does, does that make those modes a major selling point for ps3? So many games have so many modes, to say 2 games with common modes is a selling feature for a console is ridicules not to mention the whole ignoring every genre but shooters. For example God of War has Combat Arena arena mode and I can't think of a single 360 hack and slash with that mode (note God of War is a mature rated game)

You fail to mention one game sir, oh plus frontlines fuel of wars has more features than MAG google it 60 player online with 20 game mode 12 hour single player tanks, and jets and nukes plus dedicated servers good game but old, sorry good sir what god of war are you talking about? i have God of war 3 and i haven;t seen no combat mode.

Around the Network
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
They had alot of advantages this gen that they won't have next gen so I think it will be very hard for them to win next gen (they are barely in 2ed place this gen with all of those advantages).

1. First and foremost they need to get more 1st parties and make more games, timed exclusives won't be an option if ps4 or wiiU have a significantly larger userbase early on and I think people are wise to it now.

2. They need to have their console reliable from the start, if there are any reports of failures early in the gen MS will lose millions of sales.

3. Free online. Sony has closed in on the level of service MS provides with their online, and with them getting cross game chat next gen (they are doing it for psv they will do it for ps4) and likely improving the service further there won't much to distinguish the services other then one costs and the other one doesn't.

4. Blu ray player. Blu ray is growing as a movie medium and dvd is outdated this gen next gen it will be ancient.

5. Undercut the ps4 price by 100 at launch.

6. Include wifi and have internal battery in their controllers from the start.

I think M$ should keep the online paid service, that makes up for any loses. No free online play, and make there hardware more reliable.

It might make them more profit but they won't win if they keep paid online, especially since psn will almost if not equal it next gen and Nintendo is making strives too and pc already surpasses it and all 3 are free.

Equally yes but ps3 lack multi tasking which xbox does good so mix online with cross game chat and multi tasking = beast plus xbox offers a ton of features that i like as a gamer

Sony is fixing the OS multitasking issues with psv you really don't think they'll fix it with ps4? Also what tons of features? Sony has been adding features one by one there are only a few left and will all be fixed with the OS with the ps4.

xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
xS7SxSNIPER said:
rottingcorpse1 said:
BHR-3 said:
maintain the exclusive releases of mature rated games with unmatched features like they did this gen and come out with i few other genres its lacking like action/adventure, platformer

keep up with the exclusive deals timed DLC and even games

a free online services even if it has to be stripped down

better reliable HW cant have what we had with the rrod

What are you talking about I can't think of a single mature rated 360 exclusive that has unmatched features, can you name a few specific features that you are talking about? I don't think timed exclusive deals are going to be enough next time they need to make more games.

Games like Gears of war had horde,beast,4 player co-op, Halo has 4 player co-op, forge,theater mode,fire fight, a ton of mp mode 16 in total and community modes,community maps ect a ton of support for xbox games and features that what M$ and there studios know how to do and don't forget  PGR to most peole those are selling points those games offer a ton of replay value we xboxers lke Replay value don't you?

All of those features are in many games, especially horde/fire fight mode .

Please name one ps3 exlusive that has all those features please thank you = D

You want me to name a ps3 exclusive that has as many modes as 2 360 exclusives and it has to be a shooter. Unfair comparisons much? But anyways that's besides the point, no 360 exclusive has modes like the ps3 exclusive MAG does, does that make those modes a major selling point for ps3? So many games have so many modes, to say 2 games with common modes is a selling feature for a console is ridicules not to mention the whole ignoring every genre but shooters. For example God of War has Combat Arena arena mode and I can't think of a single 360 hack and slash with that mode (note God of War is a mature rated game)

You fail to mention one game sir, oh plus frontlines fuel of wars has more features than MAG google it 60 player online with 20 game mode 12 hour single player tanks, and jets and nukes plus dedicated servers good game but old, sorry good sir what god of war are you talking about? i have God of war 3 and i haven;t seen no combat mode.

More features doesn't = the same features, and you have yet to state one game that has MAGs modes or God of Wars extra modes. I found the extra modes in 1 or 2 I imagine it's the same with 3, they aren't hidden and are there so if you can't find them you must have not looked for any bonuses. You also failed to address how any of that is a selling point for a console when the modes are common, the reason I didn't name a game is because I'm not big on shooters MAG and bioshock are the only ones I own.

Just keep doing what they're doing with the timed exclusives.
Release Xbox 720 before Sony. I would say before Nintendo as well but it seems Nintendo will beat them to it. IF the Wii U becomes a success then both Sony and Microsoft will be battling for second place again.

the 2 things that prevented me from owning a 360 was lack of first party support and hardware reliability from jump.

everything else was fine although i don't think online multiplayer should be pay to play, but if thats wht they want then so be it.

i don't play much online any more after the fiasco at Radec

Around the Network

More than anything Microsoft needs to invest in exclusive software. Nothing is more important to potential buyers than seeing killer apps available on only one devise. The first couple years of a consoles life hinge on exclusives. As the years go by they become less important but the next Xbox will need Halo, Forza, Fable, and new IP as well as bring franchises back like Perfect Dark, Crimson Skies, Mechwarrior, etc. Microsoft also needs to invest in expending their first party developers. Nintendo and Sony have dozens of teams working on exclusives while MS likes to pay for publishing rights and timed exclusives. That's fine and it's worked so far, but will Gears of War be exclusive to the next Xbox? Epic owns it so who knows. Mass Effect went multiplatform and so did Bioshock. If Microsoft wants to stay on top they are going to need more AAA 1st party games pumped out by dedicated AAA 1st party developers.

I think it's a toss up whether MS will adopt a free online service or keep Live for next gen. Maybe they might do what Sony did with PSN and have a free service for basic online play and then a paid service with extra features (I don't know if Silver can actually play online, but I assume they can't).

Do you think they'll bring over Kinect to the next gen? I believe they will, considering how much money they put into the tech. They need to incorporate it into their main games somehow, because it seems like nothing but shovelware central right now.

SvennoJ said:
- Uncompressed surround sound
- Wifi
- HDD in every model
- Bigger storage medium, preferably blu-ray
- Get some franchises like ratchet and clank and team ico.
- Free online would be a bonus. Or at least a free period to play new games online without needing gold, included with online pass with new games. It's a win win for MS, either you buy a new game every month with another month free gold, or you play cod online all year with a gold subscription.
- Let me buy movies and xbla games with real money.

Anyway that's all they need to make it my preferred console, but to win next gen they just need to be cheapest on the market. I'll buy all 3 again anyway.

Games that are similar in nature to those two series or do you mean the actual series? I'm pretty sure Sony owns the rights to the Ratchet series, and I do believe Team ICO is under Sony's wings.

MasterVG71782 said:
SvennoJ said:
- Wifi
- HDD in every model
- Free online would be a bonus. Or at least a free period to play new games online without needing gold, included with online pass with new games. It's a win win for MS, either you buy a new game every month with another month free gold, or you play cod online all year with a gold subscription.

Anyway that's all they need to make it my preferred console, but to win next gen they just need to be cheapest on the market. I'll buy all 3 again anyway.

Games that are similar in nature to those two series or do you mean the actual series? I'm pretty sure Sony owns the rights to the Ratchet series, and I do believe Team ICO is under Sony's wings.

Similar, not the actual series. More stuff like Kameo, Viva pinata, Alan Wake. And I don't mean sequels, surprise me with some new stuff. All the variety on 360 seems to be limited to xbla and now kinect. Hopefully the next box will get some AAA platformers, (action) adventure games etc.

SvennoJ said:
MasterVG71782 said:
SvennoJ said:
- Wifi
- HDD in every model

Similar, not the actual series. More stuff like Kameo, Viva pinata, Alan Wake. And I don't mean sequels, surprise me with some new stuff. All the variety on 360 seems to be limited to xbla and now kinect. Hopefully the next box will get some AAA platformers, (action) adventure games etc.

Yeah, I figured that. They should have Rare actually concentrate on core games, instead of stuff for Kinect and the like.