By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2011: New York Giants Win Super Bowl XLVI

RolStoppable said:
Vetteman94 said:
amp316 said:
I expect the Bears to barely beat the Lions this Monday night. Why? Because this past week they barely beat a team that wears the same colors as the Lions and also has cats on their helmets.

Well I actually expect the Lions to torch the Bears this monday,  after Suh or Vanden Bosch knocks Cutler out of the game early on.  

And what difference would that make? If the Bears play the same as last week, then the quarterback's only job is to hand off the ball to the running back. They don't need Cutler for that.

Removing their passing threat make them one dimensional.  The Lions held Adrian Peterson to under 80 yeards,  they will do the same to Forte.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
adriane23 said:
yo_john117 said:
The Viqueens are doing just horrible. I don't expect them to win a game this season at the rate they are going.
No new metrodome for them!

Sir, how dare you speak the truth about my team!!!! Damn they suck this year......

They are my favorite team too :/

Then you feel my pain. I'm moving soon and I was looking at an apartment in Eden Prairie a few weeks ago. It looked great and it's in a great location, but the apartment manager told me that someone on the Vikings O-Line also lives there. My apartment search continues.......

I am the Playstation Avenger.

RolStoppable said:
Vetteman94 said:

Removing their passing threat make them one dimensional.  The Lions held Adrian Peterson to under 80 yeards,  they will do the same to Forte.

Why exactly are you so scared of Cutler though? Is there really a need to send him off the field early on?

Cutler is the only thing that makes the Bears even have what resembles a passing game, removing him would eliminate that completely turning the team into a one dimensional team,  something the Lions can defend quite well, given their front 7 is one of the better front 7s in the game.    And its not like I am saying we go after Cutler just to take him out,  my comment has more to do with how bad their offensive line is in the passing game,  and its only a matter of time before the front 4 of the Lions makes it through and starts beating up on Cutler.   Its just something I expect to happen.

How 'bout dem Texans, looking forward to Sunday's game against the Raiders.

I do worry about playing without Andre Johnson for the next 3 games, its going to be tough,but, I think we can still manage to win at least 2 out of the next 3 games.

RolStoppable said:
amp316 said:
How many times have the Vikings been champions of the league? Does anyone know?

If by league you mean the entire NFL, then never. But they earned quite a lot of divisional titles. Here is the best thing I could find. Stats since 1970 when the NFL and AFL merged.

I don't know for sure how the divisions were set up through those 40 years. If I add up all titles of the current NFC North teams I get 37. If I throw in the Panthers who were part of the NFC Central before the divisions were revised to the current setup, then I get 40, but that would require that the Panthers never won the NFC South which I don't think is true. Or maybe I am mixing something up and it was the Buccaneers who used to play in the NFC Central. They won six divisional titles, so that would actually make more sense. 1970-2010 equals 41 seasons, so yeah.

Division titles mean nothing.  You don't see me celebrating the Bears division title.  Why?  The Packers won the Super Bowl.

I knew how many titles the Vikings have won.  I just like reminding their fans of this.  :p

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Vetteman94 said:
amp316 said:
I expect the Bears to barely beat the Lions this Monday night. Why? Because this past week they barely beat a team that wears the same colors as the Lions and also has cats on their helmets.

Well I actually expect the Lions to torch the Bears this monday,  after Suh or Vanden Bosch knocks Cutler out of the game early on.  

I love it when Lions fans get cocky and brash after a good start.  I remember hearing how great they are when they started the season 6-2 in 2007. 

I honestly think that the game is going to be close and could go either way (not a blowout like you are saying).  If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the Bears.  Why?  The Lions definitely are due to lose.  To be honest, they only won their last two games because of an epic collapse by their opponents.  They really should be 2-2.  This isn't to take anything away from them though.  They continued to play hard and pulled it out while the other team fell apart.  But let's put it this way, if they fall behind by 20 points against the Bears don't expect them to come back and win.

The Lions best strategy would be stopping the run.  Then they can blitz the crap out of Cutler.  I hope that they try things your way though, and Forte runs for 205 yards again. :p  Don't worry about Cutler though, his recievers drop all of his passes and he can't block for himself when he drops back to pass.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

BoneArk said:
How 'bout dem Texans, looking forward to Sunday's game against the Raiders.

I do worry about playing without Andre Johnson for the next 3 games, its going to be tough,but, I think we can still manage to win at least 2 out of the next 3 games.

It's going to be tough for them without Andre.  If they can win two of three that would be good.

As always, let's see if the Texans defense can keep up there end of the bargain.  There is no question that their offense is potent.

amp316 said:
Vetteman94 said:
amp316 said:

I love it when Lions fans get cocky and brash after a good start.  I remember hearing how great they are when they started the season 6-2 in 2007. 

I honestly think that the game is going to be close and could go either way (not a blowout like you are saying).  If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the Bears.  Why?  The Lions definitely are due to lose.  To be honest, they only won their last two games because of an epic collapse by their opponents.  They really should be 2-2.  This isn't to take anything away from them though.  They continued to play hard and pulled it out while the other team fell apart.  But let's put it this way, if they fall behind by 20 points against the Bears don't expect them to come back and win.

The Lions best strategy would be stopping the run.  Then they can blitz the crap out of Cutler.  I hope that they try things your way though, and Forte runs for 205 yards again. :p  Don't worry about Cutler though, his recievers drop all of his passes and he can't block for himself when he drops back to pass.

The lions wernt great in 2007,  they didnt have all the peices they have now.  

For one,  the Lions beat those teams because they capitlized on their screwups, even a bad team will lose if the other team "colapses" as you say.  Not to mention that you give no credit to the Lions possibly having a part in those colapses.   

As for stopping the run, the Lions held the best running back in football to under 80 yards,  Forte rushed for 200 against one of the worst defenses in football.  

RolStoppable said:
Vetteman94 said:

For one,  the Lions beat those teams because they capitlized on their screwups, even a bad team will lose if the other team "colapses" as you say.  Not to mention that you give no credit to the Lions possibly having a part in those colapses.   

As for stopping the run, the Lions held the best running back in football to under 80 yards,  Forte rushed for 200 against one of the worst defenses in football.  

I am not sure if that counts for much. Peterson's stats this season aren't all that impressive; only a single 100 yard game and the Chiefs held him to only 80 yards as well and he had more carries in that game. This doesn't exactly scream "best running back in football". Maybe he was last season, but this year he sure isn't.

I am with amp316 on this one, the Lions are due to lose.

He is still the best running back in Football,  He will get his stats.  Statswise last year it would have been Jamaal Charles or Arian Foster, but neither of them are as good as Peterson is. Cause thats not what makes him the best,  its his physical abilities that make him that.  Physically he is above and beyond all other RBs in the game right now.  

And thats fine,  the Lions have been due to lose since Week 14 of last year, but they havent.  

Vetteman94 said:
amp316 said:
Vetteman94 said:
amp316 said:

Explain to me why you think that Peterson is the best back in football.  Is it because he earns the most money or because he has the most fumbles?  Last year, like you yourself said above said he wasn't the best, and he isn't off to a great start this year either.