By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony, Team Meat Bashing Developer Apologizes for 'Loud Mouth'

Industrygamers

Last week, we heard from an up-and-coming indie developer who had some harsh words for Sony and the PlayStation Network, and independent developer Team Meat, which has been vocal about a lack of support from Microsoft. Guillaume Boucher-Vidal, Studio Manager at Nine Dots Studio Inc., now regrets his choice of words, however, and he asked us to publish an apology letter. 

Here it is in full.

_ _

An apology for my loud mouth

There's a world of difference between sharing an opinion in public and behind closed doors with friends and colleagues. Apparently, this little bit of insight escaped my mind for a while. Let me explain. Following this article, I decided to follow through with the author's invitation to get in touch and share my experiences.

However, I didn't think this through and just gave a brutally honest opinion piece, as if I was speaking my mind with a friend while having a drink. Naturally, such an approach ensured that my email would contain very inflammatory sentences, which when undiluted come out as a very harsh headline. Nowhere in my mind did I think that my email would be directly quoted, as I believed their intent was just to know what the spectrum of views on the matter was. In fact, I didn't even think they would care that much about my opinion, given that I'm still a no-name. But that doesn't excuse my behavior. I admit that I was too outspoken, and it was like throwing fuel to the fire and not expecting to get burnt. The same message could have been delivered with more elegance, if I had chosen my words better and acted with a cold head.

I think I am being frustrated to see Sony's PR bad-mouthing Microsoft at every corner while Microsoft almost never strikes back at them, even during the PSN fiasco, and that put me on edge. I also admit that I am personally irritated when I see Team Meat publicly bashing Microsoft as they do. Of course, I don't know the whole story behind their argument and never will. But in the end, I feel that it just makes indie developers look bad as a whole, and that means that Microsoft will think twice before dealing with us. They don't go through that kind of trouble when they do business with big publishers and I wish we could consistently offer them the same level of professionalism. And yes, I do get that I lacked professionalism myself or I wouldn't be writing this.

Now I want to make things clear: I do not blame IndustryGamers. I wasn't careful enough in my statements, and I assume full responsibility. That was a beginner's mistake that blew out of proportion and is now becoming a PR nightmare. I want to make amends. I want to be a positive force in this industry, which I follow closely every day. I check every numbers I can find, I follow a handful of websites daily and I have a huge collection of games because this is my passion, this is what I want to do. I started my own studio because I love video games, I'm very passionate about its industry, and always will be. So I hope I can make up for it, and more importantly, I hope that our games will speak for themselves better than I do.

I don't know if this will get to Team Meat, but I want to say I bitterly regret my words and I am sorry.

Guillaume Boucher-Vidal
Studio Manager
Nine Dots Studio Inc

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-team-meat-bashing-developer-apologizes-for-loud-mouth/

Around the Network

I thought for a second that Team Meat was apologizing for its loud mouth and nearly fell out of my chair.

I did find it weired someone from a studio that hasn't published any games commenting on the situation but i assumed he had ben involved in other studios.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I dont think he needed to apologize but eh

He must be really biased if he thinks "Sony's PR bad-mouthing Microsoft at every corner while Microsoft almost never strikes back at them". Both companies (and you can throw Nintendo in there too) throw punches at each other, and that is part of the business.

Around the Network
dragonmagician said:
He must be really biased if he thinks "Sony's PR bad-mouthing Microsoft at every corner while Microsoft almost never strikes back at them". Both companies (and you can throw Nintendo in there too) throw punches at each other, and that is part of the business.

Im thinking he was talking more in terms of the xbla vs psn situation.

classy

he didnt to apologize at all i believe, he spoke his mind and had a right too. i think team meat are a bunch of punks myself.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

dragonmagician said:

Lately (like this year) I can't remember Microsoft taking a shot or calling Sony out for anything.  In fact, considering the opportunity they had during the PSN situation, they took the super high road and referred to Sony more as a colleague than a rival.  

OT: Much respect for this apology.  It shows a level of humility and maturity that is all too absent in these days.

let him say as he pleases.