By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "PSN Pass" Confirmed for Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Access

chapset said:
steverhcp02 said:
chapset said:
seams like they didn't learn with resistance 3, am looking forward to see uncharted 3 sell less then the previous ones, why is it ok for me to sell my used car with all the features but somehow my games cannot be sold with all of them. Gamers are already being screwed with incomplete games that get complete later with dlcs now this. if you buy the game and you don't like it well your screwed by 10$ if you try to resell it on ebay or kijiji

Terrible analogy. If you buy a used car youre paying for a car with thousands of miles. Probably dings, scratched, stains on the upholstery. Maybe the AC doesnt blow on the hardest setting. Acting like you buy  aused product and its flawless, in working order as it came off of the assembly line is stupid. Why should a used game be caught in the fabric of time and buying it used gets you the perks of buying a new product.

Its second hand, it should have diminished value, and in a software not hardware sense this is the diminished value. Get used to it. It makes perfect sense if you approach it with logic rather than entitlement.

humm when you a buy a used car you check it out first if something doesn't work and it bother you, you buy an other one that fit your critera here you don't have a choice it's either buy new with online or buy used and no online unless you pay us. If you buy the game and didn't like it why should the value drop by 10$ as soon as you try the online? so you get less when you sell it to someone else that might like the game. I don't get why gamers here like to be nickel and dime so much it's like you guys are begging to pay more, don't be surprise if next gen new games won't have online neither you'll need to buy it a like dlc, just like metal gear online was suppose to be

It doesn't have to drop by $10.  If you buy the game brand new, try the online, don't like it, then return the game back to the store and get the full $60 back.  The store will get a new code from Sony.

Around the Network
sergiodaly said:
Jay520 said:
mantlepiecek said:

When you buy used, you buy it from the person who bought it from Sony. Sony has no responsibility in this case for you anyway. The person you bought it from should not have used the coupon for himself.

I don't see the problem.

I don't have a problem with the idea of an online pass. I just don't think it's being executed as effective as possible ( although this could be because the idea is still a new method). It would more effective if they gave used owners a demo of the multiplayer so they wouldn't be forced to blindly pay $10 for something they may or may not enjoy.

you and no one is paying for anything blindly... i did not play a demo of la noire or anyone else and the game sold millions... like that, theres hundreds of games that you buy without really playing it or even see any picture of them... i didn't see a trialer, pic or what ever from U3 and i am buying it day one... that is a non issue.

you all can see videos on youtube, ear about it from friends, try it on friends house that did bought it new... you know, the way  you do with other games you decide to buy

Yeah, yeah, all that's fine and dandy, but wouldn't a quick demo of the mp be much more effective in letting someone decide if they'll buy the pass or not. I'm sure it'll cost ND minimum to simply include a short demo of the mp for those who want to try it out & I'm also sure they'll get a lot more people to buy the pass. The pros outweigh the cons in my scenario.

Jay520 said:
o_O.Q said:
Jay520 said:
o_O.Q said:
Jay520 said:
One has to wonder how effective this will be. If someone buys UC3 used and is only slightly interested in the MP, they're probably not going to pay the $10. That sucks, because they'll never know if the MP was for them or not. I don't like this "blindly pay $10, or don't play the MP at all" thing. They'll likely miss out on a lot of potential buyers that way. As a potential customer, they should be given the knowledge on what they would be paying $10 for, as opposed to just making a blind purchase....

They could have been more effective by cutting off most of the online instead of charging for online all together. I think it's fair if you offer a MP-demo for those who buy the game used. For example, they could limit online play to just a few maps/modes for those who buy it used. That way, they'll get a taste of the game and will be more inclined to pay the $10. This seems like it would be more effective IMO. I'm gonna post this idea on the psblog.

used sales don't benefit the dev anyway so i don't get why they should go out of their way for people who buy used

Because by offering used owners a demo or peek, the used owners would be more informed on what their ten dollars would get them. With this knowledge, the used owners are more likely to buy the online pass altogether, thus, increasing the profits for the developer.

you mean like the beta that lasted for 2 1/2 weeks or the current subway promotion?... beyond that what else could people possibly need to try it out?

You're assuming every future Uncharted 3 owner would have knows about that stuff. It's likely that a great majority of people that pick up UC3 used will have little-to-no experience with the multiplayer, for whatever reason (maybe they didn't get a PS3 until 2012) If those people are given oppurtunity to play a limited, timed, or demo version of the mp, then I'm sure they would be more inclined to bu the online pass. More money for Soney.

I don't see people in that category being that numerous to begin with.  Most people who buy UC3 will have already played UC1 and/or UC2 and be somewhat familiar with the MP.  It's not like this is an brand new IP that nobody has ever heard of.  If you're going to play online, you're probably not a casual gamer anyway.  So those gamers are going to know in some shape or form what they're paying the $10 for.   I really don't see this having much impact at all in the grand scheme of things.

Jay520 said:
sergiodaly said:
Jay520 said:
mantlepiecek said:

When you buy used, you buy it from the person who bought it from Sony. Sony has no responsibility in this case for you anyway. The person you bought it from should not have used the coupon for himself.

I don't see the problem.

I don't have a problem with the idea of an online pass. I just don't think it's being executed as effective as possible ( although this could be because the idea is still a new method). It would more effective if they gave used owners a demo of the multiplayer so they wouldn't be forced to blindly pay $10 for something they may or may not enjoy.

you and no one is paying for anything blindly... i did not play a demo of la noire or anyone else and the game sold millions... like that, theres hundreds of games that you buy without really playing it or even see any picture of them... i didn't see a trialer, pic or what ever from U3 and i am buying it day one... that is a non issue.

you all can see videos on youtube, ear about it from friends, try it on friends house that did bought it new... you know, the way  you do with other games you decide to buy

Yeah, yeah, all that's fine and dandy, but wouldn't a quick demo of the mp be much more effective in letting someone decide if they'll buy the pass or not. I'm sure it'll cost ND minimum to simply include a short demo of the mp for those who want to try it out & I'm also sure they'll get a lot more people to buy the pass. The pros outweigh the cons in my scenario.

I don't disagree, but there was a MP demo that was offered to anyone who wanted to try it out.  It was free and wasn't exclusive to anyone.  So people had their chance to try it out.  I don't think it's necessary for ND to offer this MP demo indefintely.  They're not that big of a company to begin with, and maintaining an online game server takes a lot of resources.  With the game coming out soon, their personnel should be focusing their time and resources on the actual game server, not some MP demo.   

jacks81x said:
Jay520 said:
o_O.Q said:
Jay520 said:
o_O.Q said:
Jay520 said:
One has to wonder how effective this will be. If someone buys UC3 used and is only slightly interested in the MP, they're probably not going to pay the $10. That sucks, because they'll never know if the MP was for them or not. I don't like this "blindly pay $10, or don't play the MP at all" thing. They'll likely miss out on a lot of potential buyers that way. As a potential customer, they should be given the knowledge on what they would be paying $10 for, as opposed to just making a blind purchase....

They could have been more effective by cutting off most of the online instead of charging for online all together. I think it's fair if you offer a MP-demo for those who buy the game used. For example, they could limit online play to just a few maps/modes for those who buy it used. That way, they'll get a taste of the game and will be more inclined to pay the $10. This seems like it would be more effective IMO. I'm gonna post this idea on the psblog.

used sales don't benefit the dev anyway so i don't get why they should go out of their way for people who buy used

Because by offering used owners a demo or peek, the used owners would be more informed on what their ten dollars would get them. With this knowledge, the used owners are more likely to buy the online pass altogether, thus, increasing the profits for the developer.

you mean like the beta that lasted for 2 1/2 weeks or the current subway promotion?... beyond that what else could people possibly need to try it out?

You're assuming every future Uncharted 3 owner would have knows about that stuff. It's likely that a great majority of people that pick up UC3 used will have little-to-no experience with the multiplayer, for whatever reason (maybe they didn't get a PS3 until 2012) If those people are given oppurtunity to play a limited, timed, or demo version of the mp, then I'm sure they would be more inclined to bu the online pass. More money for Soney.

I don't see people in that category being that numerous to begin with.  Most people who buy UC3 will have already played UC1 and/or UC2 and be somewhat familiar with the MP.  It's not like this is an brand new IP that nobody has ever heard of.  If you're going to play online, you're probably not a casual gamer anyway.  So those gamers are going to know in some shape or form what they're paying the $10 for.   I really don't see this having much impact at all in the grand scheme of things.

I'm pretty sure ND wants to rack in the gamers who are new to the Uncharted online world. Like any developer, they want to expand their current userbase and rack in those casuals. They themselves said they are going after COD for the top online game on the PS3. If ND wants all these new fans to buy that online pass, then it would be smart for them to offer a short demo of what they're buying.

Around the Network
jacks81x said:
Jay520 said:
sergiodaly said:
Jay520 said:
mantlepiecek said:

I don't see the problem.

I don't disagree, but there was a MP demo that was offered to anyone who wanted to try it out.  It was free and wasn't exclusive to anyone.  So people had their chance to try it out.  I don't think it's necessary for ND to offer this MP demo indefintely.  They're not that big of a company to begin with, and maintaining an online game server takes a lot of resources.  With the game coming out soon, their personnel should be focusing their time and resources on the actual game server, not some MP demo.   

Like I said earlier, everyone didn't play that demo. What about all those new PS3 owners this holiday who decide to pick up UC3 as their one game? It doesn't even have to be a demo. It could simply be a trial version of the mp on the same servers as the standard mp. The point is this online pass would be more effective if gamers were given a taste of what they're going to buy.

Jay520 said:
jacks81x said:
Jay520 said:
sergiodaly said:
Jay520 said:
mantlepiecek said:

I don't see the problem.

Like I said earlier, everyone didn't play that demo. What about all those new PS3 owners this holiday who decide to pick up UC3 as their one game? It doesn't even have to be a demo. It could simply be a trial version of the mp on the same servers as the standard mp. The point is this online pass would be more effective if gamers were given a taste of what they're going to buy.

Again, we can agree to disagree, but I just don't think that population is very large.  There are plenty of ways to find out what you're buying without actually playing it first hand.  Personally, I would say that 95% of all my game purchases were of games that I've never played a demo of.  That doesn't mean I didn't know anything about them.  I know exactly what I was buying through reading reviews, watching youtube, game forums, blogs, friends, etc.  In this age of technology, there are countless avenues to gather information about a product you want to purchase.

Second, this online pass idea is no different than DRM on digital media.  PC Games have used this technology for years.  Console games are just catching up to the rest of the world.

jacks81x said:

Again, we can agree to disagree, but I just don't think that population is very large.  There are plenty of ways to find out what you're buying without actually playing it first hand.  Personally, I would say that 95% of all my game purchases were of games that I've never played a demo of.  That doesn't mean I didn't know anything about them.  I know exactly what I was buying through reading reviews, watching youtube, game forums, blogs, friends, etc.  In this age of technology, there are countless avenues to gather information about a product you want to purchase.

Second, this online pass idea is no different than DRM on digital media.  PC Games have used this technology for years.  Console games are just catching up to the rest of the world.

I agree with that totally.  I don't see any problem with that.  If you're going to buy the game new, this doesn't affect you.  If you want to buy the game used, this will probably make the used price less.  So that's even better for used game buyers who have no interest in the multiplayer and just want to play the single player campaign.   And if you want do want to play online, then the $10 goes directly the developer, which I'd much rather do than pay a higher used price at say GameStop.  ND isn't the first developer to do this and they sure won't be the last. 

jacks81x said:
Jay520 said:
jacks81x said:
Jay520 said:
sergiodaly said:
Jay520 said:
mantlepiecek said:

I don't see the problem.

I never said ND had to offer a trial. I just think it would be helpful for the new gamers that ND wants to obtain. It wouldn't require much effort or money from ND to implement a trial of the mp. In the end, this only helps customers & developers. Yeah, there are other ways to obtain information about the mp, but a trial version is the easiest & most accurate representation of the actual mp without giving people the mp for free. Surely, you see where I'm coming from.

Jay520 said:

I never said ND had to offer a trial. I just think it would be helpful for the new gamers that ND wants to obtain. It wouldn't require much effort or money from ND to implement a trial of the mp. In the end, this only helps customers & developers. Yeah, there are other ways to obtain information about the mp, but a trial version is the easiest & most accurate representation of the actual mp without giving people the mp for free. Surely, you see where I'm coming from.

I see where you're coming from, but honestly I just don't think the population negatively impacted by this is that large.  I know what you're saying, but because I've never had to play a demo to convince me to buy a game, it's not something I feel strongly about.