By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "PSN Pass" Confirmed for Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Access

osamanobama said:
chapset said:
seams like they didn't learn with resistance 3, am looking forward to see uncharted 3 sell less then the previous ones, why is it ok for me to sell my used car with all the features but somehow my games cannot be sold with all of them. Gamers are already being screwed with incomplete games that get complete later with dlcs now this. if you buy the game and you don't like it well your screwed by 10$ if you try to resell it on ebay or kijiji

so when i buy a car used, i get 12 months free of on-star, and seriousXM radio?

also i get the bumber to bumber warrenty, and stuff such as that?

also, you dont complain that you cant resell and used that new opperating system you got on a disk for your computer, do you?

also you keep saying that if you buy it new and dont like it, its already worth $10 less. well we dont know that, but even if it is true and the trade in value is $10 less than a equivalent game with no online pass. theres always another side to that, lower trade in value means lower used game price, means you pay less for the used game.

so really it all balances out. if you want the game and buy it new, it doesnt effect you. if you later want the game and buy it used, then it either doesnt effect you, or it cheaper.

situation 1: I buy the game new 50 $ try the online it's shit so I sell it but now it's -10$ because it's used -10$ because of online pass so now it sells for 30$ instead of 40$

or I buy the game new 50$ try the online it's shit so I trade it online using kijiji but now instead of receving a game worth 40$ people will only want to trade  with games of less value unless their game got the shitty online pass too

also for the used car analogy On star and free satelite radio is not as important for the purchuse of the car as the ability to play online when you buy a game used. When you buy a used car you don't loose a key component of the car like the ability to brake or be able to go faster then 15mph, imagine if you had to pay Ford or Toyota 1/5 of the price of a new car to be able to unluck the brakes or the speed limit that wouldn't make a lot of sense. Also I buy most of my games new but i still don't like this idea of nickle and diming the custumer because you make games that people don't want to hold on to.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

Good thing I was only gonna rent this anyway.

Munkeh111 said:
Zkuq said:
Let's just say that I was probably going to buy it new at some point, now I'm not. The only way to disencourage (is that a word?) selling the game that I can agree with is making the game so good that no one want to sell it.

Well that is the point of multiplayer, it is the only reason that they introduced it, in order to ensure that people did not sell it, which is fair enough

And I think that Naughty Dog did a good enough job with Uncharted 2 that nobody should want to sell it

Obviously someone thinks they should do even better because they introduced this online pass thing to the series.

SecondWar said:
Zkuq said:
Let's just say that I was probably going to buy it new at some point, now I'm not. The only way to disencourage (is that a word?) selling the game that I can agree with is making the game so good that no one want to sell it.

No, its not. Sorry to go off topic but I feel the need to point out the word you were looking for was 'discourage'.

Just as I thought. I was pretty  sure that wasn't the correct word but just couldn't remember the right one... Anyway, thanks, maybe I won't make the same mistake again. =)

chapset said:
osamanobama said:
chapset said:
seams like they didn't learn with resistance 3, am looking forward to see uncharted 3 sell less then the previous ones, why is it ok for me to sell my used car with all the features but somehow my games cannot be sold with all of them. Gamers are already being screwed with incomplete games that get complete later with dlcs now this. if you buy the game and you don't like it well your screwed by 10$ if you try to resell it on ebay or kijiji

so when i buy a car used, i get 12 months free of on-star, and seriousXM radio?

also i get the bumber to bumber warrenty, and stuff such as that?

also, you dont complain that you cant resell and used that new opperating system you got on a disk for your computer, do you?

also you keep saying that if you buy it new and dont like it, its already worth $10 less. well we dont know that, but even if it is true and the trade in value is $10 less than a equivalent game with no online pass. theres always another side to that, lower trade in value means lower used game price, means you pay less for the used game.

so really it all balances out. if you want the game and buy it new, it doesnt effect you. if you later want the game and buy it used, then it either doesnt effect you, or it cheaper.

situation 1: I buy the game new 50 $ try the online it's shit so I sell it but now it's -10$ because it's used -10$ because of online pass so now it sells for 30$ instead of 40$

or I buy the game new 50$ try the online it's shit so I trade it online using kijiji but now instead of receving a game worth 40$ people will only want to trade  with games of less value unless their game got the shitty online pass too

also for the used car analogy On star and free satelite radio is not as important for the purchuse of the car as the ability to play online when you buy a game used. When you buy a used car you don't loose a key component of the car like the ability to brake or be able to go faster then 15mph, imagine if you had to pay Ford or Toyota 1/5 of the price of a new car to be able to unluck the brakes or the speed limit that wouldn't make a lot of sense. Also I buy most of my games new but i still don't like this idea of nickle and diming the custumer because you make games that people don't want to hold on to.

so the car is in the exact same condition as when it was first made

No biggie as i always buy my games new day-one or new when its cheaper

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
One has to wonder how effective this will be. If someone buys UC3 used and is only slightly interested in the MP, they're probably not going to pay the $10. That sucks, because they'll never know if the MP was for them or not. I don't like this "blindly pay $10, or don't play the MP at all" thing. They'll likely miss out on a lot of potential buyers that way. As a potential customer, they should be given the knowledge on what they would be paying $10 for, as opposed to just making a blind purchase....

They could have been more effective by cutting off most of the online instead of charging for online all together. I think it's fair if you offer a MP-demo for those who buy the game used. For example, they could limit online play to just a few maps/modes for those who buy it used. That way, they'll get a taste of the game and will be more inclined to pay the $10. This seems like it would be more effective IMO. I'm gonna post this idea on the psblog.

used sales don't benefit the dev anyway so i don't get why they should go out of their way for people who buy used

o_O.Q said:
Jay520 said:
One has to wonder how effective this will be. If someone buys UC3 used and is only slightly interested in the MP, they're probably not going to pay the $10. That sucks, because they'll never know if the MP was for them or not. I don't like this "blindly pay $10, or don't play the MP at all" thing. They'll likely miss out on a lot of potential buyers that way. As a potential customer, they should be given the knowledge on what they would be paying $10 for, as opposed to just making a blind purchase....

They could have been more effective by cutting off most of the online instead of charging for online all together. I think it's fair if you offer a MP-demo for those who buy the game used. For example, they could limit online play to just a few maps/modes for those who buy it used. That way, they'll get a taste of the game and will be more inclined to pay the $10. This seems like it would be more effective IMO. I'm gonna post this idea on the psblog.

used sales don't benefit the dev anyway so i don't get why they should go out of their way for people who buy used

Because by offering used owners a demo or peek, the used owners would be more informed on what their ten dollars would get them. With this knowledge, the used owners are more likely to buy the online pass altogether, thus, increasing the profits for the developer.

Jay520 said:
mantlepiecek said:

When you buy used, you buy it from the person who bought it from Sony. Sony has no responsibility in this case for you anyway. The person you bought it from should not have used the coupon for himself.

I don't see the problem.

I don't have a problem with the idea of an online pass. I just don't think it's being executed as effective as possible ( although this could be because the idea is still a new method). It would more effective if they gave used owners a demo of the multiplayer so they wouldn't be forced to blindly pay $10 for something they may or may not enjoy.

you and no one is paying for anything blindly... i did not play a demo of la noire or anyone else and the game sold millions... like that, theres hundreds of games that you buy without really playing it or even see any picture of them... i didn't see a trialer, pic or what ever from U3 and i am buying it day one... that is a non issue.

you all can see videos on youtube, ear about it from friends, try it on friends house that did bought it new... you know, the way  you do with other games you decide to buy

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Jay520 said:
o_O.Q said:
Jay520 said:

Because by offering used owners a demo or peek, the used owners would be more informed on what their ten dollars would get them. With this knowledge, the used owners are more likely to buy the online pass altogether, thus, increasing the profits for the developer.

you mean like the beta that lasted for 2 1/2 weeks or the current subway promotion?... beyond that what else could people possibly need to try it out?

o_O.Q said:
Jay520 said:
o_O.Q said:
Jay520 said:

you mean like the beta that lasted for 2 1/2 weeks or the current subway promotion?... beyond that what else could people possibly need to try it out?

You're assuming every future Uncharted 3 owner would have know about that stuff. It's likely that a great majority of people that pick up UC3 used will have little-to-no experience with the multiplayer for whatever reason. (maybe they didn't get a PS3 until 2012) If those people are given oppurtunity to play a limited, timed, or demo version of the mp, then I'm sure they would be more inclined to buy the online pass. More money for Sony.