By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Official Dark Souls Thread - .....It Begins

I have a Question: How in the world can someone beat Tomb of the Giants without a light source of some kind. A bug dropped one of those weird spiked helmet things with a light on top, and it was "easy". Good thing I remembered that I have it, otherwise I would have hated the whole thing...again.

Around the Network
ithis said:
I have a Question: How in the world can someone beat Tomb of the Giants without a light source of some kind. A bug dropped one of those weird spiked helmet things with a light on top, and it was "easy". Good thing I remembered that I have it, otherwise I would have hated the whole thing...again.

Well you're supposed to use the lantern, but the maggot helmet thing or cast light makes it MUCH easier.

blkfish92 said:
ithis said:

Well you're supposed to use the lantern, but the maggot helmet thing or cast light makes it MUCH easier.

I found a scull lantern. Is that it? How do I use it? I tried it out, didn't see any improvement over not having it.

Edit: double post.

ithis said:
blkfish92 said:
ithis said:

I found a scull lantern. Is that it? How do I use it? I tried it out, didn't see any improvement over not having it.

You equip it in your shield hand and when you have it out you hold L1.

Around the Network

Did you notice that the giant blacksmith in Anor londo has twinkling titanite for sale? I wander if it's limited. I bought 3 so far.

ithis said:
Did you notice that the giant blacksmith in Anor londo has twinkling titanite for sale? I wander if it's limited. I bought 3 so far.

yeah, I saw that. a bit expensive though. but with the 2 giants near the boss room giving 2000 souls, it's rather easy to get the 8000 needed for one.

I finished Lost Izalith, killed Sif and am going to Duke's Archives. so far, I still prefer Demon's Souls hub structure. semi-open world is cool, but there are too many corridors to go from one place to another that are just time-consuming. they should at least have added more bonfires to warp to. not a huge issue, but it's one of those things that really annoy me in games. a "haste" potion or magic/miracle would do the trick too.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

salaminizer said:
ithis said:

yeah, I saw that. a bit expensive though. but with the 2 giants near the boss room giving 2000 souls, it's rather easy to get the 8000 needed for one.

I finished Lost Izalith, killed Sif and am going to Duke's Archives. so far, I still prefer Demon's Souls hub structure. semi-open world is cool, but there are too many corridors to go from one place to another that are just time-consuming. they should at least have added more bonfires to warp to. not a huge issue, but it's one of those things that really annoy me in games. a "haste" potion or magic/miracle would do the trick too.

Drop you armour. It's like haste :).

Ornstein and Smough battle is just bullshit... i´m level 60, summoned Solaire, i know their weaknesses (Ornstein weak against fire, Smough against lightning) and still having trouble and on the verge of giving up.

I was able to defeat every boss to this point without much trouble (Taurus, Capra, Gargoyles, Gaping Dragon, Quelaag, Iron Golem) but against those two, even summoning a NPC, I am unable :(

The spike in difficulty is a bit too high for me at the moment.

In case i don´t give up, any advice as to what i should do/go next if i wanna forget about fighting them for now?

JGarret said:
Ornstein and Smough battle is just bullshit... i´m level 60, summoned Solaire, i know their weaknesses (Ornstein weak against fire, Smough against lightning) and still having trouble and on the verge of giving up.

I was able to defeat every boss to this point without much trouble (Taurus, Capra, Gargoyles, Gaping Dragon, Quelaag, Iron Golem) but against those two, even summoning a NPC, I am unable :(

The spike in difficulty is a bit too high for me at the moment.

In case i don´t give up, any advice as to what i should do/go next if i wanna forget about fighting them for now?

Well, unfortunately, an item that you get after defeating them sorta opens up a lot of the rest of the game.

Places you can go without defeating them (I think):

-Great Hollow/Ash Lake (not much there but it'd be a change of scenery)

-New Londo Ruins and the 4 kings (I think you can do this without the lord vessel right, but this area is tougher and the boss is tougher than Ornstein and Smough).

-Painted World (though you can't exit this area until you finish it though you don't have to beat the boss to finish it, just gotta make it to then end)

Advice on beating them:

-Grind for a bit, gain a few levels

-Perhaps try different armor

-Perhaps try different weapons

-Upgrade weapons and armor

-Summon online players instead of just Solitaire

-Be better at fighting them ( keep Smough at a distance so that Ornstein always does his lance dash type attack and them attack him, Smough will basically not touch you if you do this right .)

-Kindle the bonfire closest to them to get more estus flasks

In my opinion, I had more difficulty on the 4 kings and the iron golem than I did on O & S.  Granted, my iron golem fight still had the giant hurling fire at me....but I didn't think they were that tough.