By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Skyrim - The Official Thread!

Around the Network

I thank my friend John for these funny comics.

Griffin said:
Seems the 360 version got the patch and as was posted all over other forums Magic resistance doesn't do anything. Not really sure it did anything to begin with but just found a magic trap and tested out my magic resist gear and it had no affect. Also fought a dragon just before i entered this dungeon and was forced to use potions after each of his blasts as it dropped me down around 15% health. Maxed heavy army and shield, 50% magic as a block perk and 3 times 19% on my gear.

Seems i might be forced to make new gear :(

The magic resistance and weakness bug is present on every version of the game, post 1.2.

I wouldn't bother with making a new gear until they patch the game back to how it used to be, since now the only viable builds are Stealthy with tons of HP and a shitload of healing potions. 

To all: 

There's a fun challenge now, for those who are on the final boss of the main quest. Since there's no resistances for it's breath and meteor attacks, try putting the difficulty on Master, no healing potions, no restoration perks, initial healing spell only xD. I've had quite a few laughs fighting it that way, especially since I boosted my HP to 500 and still every breath attack was a OHKO

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

For those with the PC version, here's an unofficial workaround for the resistances bug from patch 1.2: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1288179-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse/page__st__100__p__19565933#entry19565933.

It's nice to finally go up toe to toe with an Arch Necromancer and soak up ice blasts and fireballs like a boss again

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

SvennoJ said:
chocoloco said:
The new update for the PS3 at first seemed to clear up frame rate issues I have had, but as I kept playing I noticed at times it was worse than before and almost unplayable. They better make more updates to prolong good gameplay at later parts because I am not even a level 25 yet. Plus, I want the downloadable content so if they want more money it better be fixed. Any other PS3 players notice an improvement or not after the download?

The game runs fine now for me after the update (lvl 48) but I did notice a big downgrade in graphics. Lighting is a lot duller and water looks very ugly at a distance.

All they needed to fix was to clean up the savegame data (my save is 12mb with month old corpses still lying around), delete old corpses and don't remember every little thing you knocked over. It seems they only set the detail level to low and hope for the best.

You are joking? Already prepatched PS3 version looked somewhat bad, and they made it even worse?

What the hell. The patch is joke - fixed one thing broken 3 more....

click for full screen: http://i44.tinypic.com/308d1u0.gif

(from http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-13-skyrim-triple-format-comparison-gallery-comparison-gallery
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-face-off-skyrim )

Around the Network
anonim1979 said:
SvennoJ said:
chocoloco said:
The new update for the PS3 at first seemed to clear up frame rate issues I have had, but as I kept playing I noticed at times it was worse than before and almost unplayable. They better make more updates to prolong good gameplay at later parts because I am not even a level 25 yet. Plus, I want the downloadable content so if they want more money it better be fixed. Any other PS3 players notice an improvement or not after the download?

The game runs fine now for me after the update (lvl 48) but I did notice a big downgrade in graphics. Lighting is a lot duller and water looks very ugly at a distance.

All they needed to fix was to clean up the savegame data (my save is 12mb with month old corpses still lying around), delete old corpses and don't remember every little thing you knocked over. It seems they only set the detail level to low and hope for the best.

You are joking? Already prepatched PS3 version looked somewhat bad, and they made it even worse?

What the hell. The patch is joke - fixed one thing broken 3 more....

I wonder if they actually fixed anything... Just had to quit again due to the game getting completely unresponsive again in Solitude. Less then 1 fps. Before that I was putting items away on the manequin in my house in Solitude, manequin went invisible. Put books on the bookshelf, bookshelf won't work anymore, books disappeared.

I managed to finish the thief guild quest line by a hair. The resistances bug made it almost impossible to get through 1 of the rooms on the final quest where you get spammed by magic attacks. Dead before you can count to 3. Greater ward did nothing, potions nothing, my 80% magic resistances ignored. Only spamming fast heal and running like hell worked. Used up my entire 600 magicka bar even with the vastly reduced cost I can cast fast healing at. The difficulty is totally inconsistent now.

After a fresh restart I can walk for maybe an hour before it gets choppy again.

Meanwhile I started a new char, see how far I can get in the main quest while staying lvl 1. Apart from having to run from a frost troll it's all very easy. Draugr death lords that can now 2 hit kill my lvl 51 char, are easily dispatched by my lvl 1 char with a crap bow. World levelling is awesome...

Oh well it's still fun to play when it works. Couple more days and I should pass my Oblivion play time.

Edit: next glitch. ps3 is currently checking and restoring the filesystem after the game locked up again and I had to shut the ps3 down with the power button. Is that standard since 4.00 or did something go badly wrong?

It happened after I had to walk back to Solitude since the "you cannot wait/fast travel when guards are after you" message would not go away even though I was far beyond Morthal already. The guards were paitently waiting outside Solitude for me to come back... I get the option, I'm with the guild look the other way 600 ish gold, pay of fine 40 gold, WTF? -> so I pay of the fine it loads and puts me back into Solitude, then I pull up the map and the game locks up.

Solitude is a pain in the ass.

the patch has made the game run a little more smoothly, still experience some hiccups here and there

also I'm looking for a good one-handed sword; hard to believe i'm still using the skyforge steel sword, I enchanted it with fire and my attack for one-handed weapons up 60% so I guess that's what's been keeping me afloat.

arcane_chaos said:
the patch has made the game run a little more smoothly, still experience some hiccups here and there

also I'm looking for a good one-handed sword; hard to believe i'm still using the skyforge steel sword, I enchanted it with fire and my attack for one-handed weapons up 60% so I guess that's what's been keeping me afloat.

How much smithing do you have? Dwarven and Elven swords are better than Skyforge and you only need 30 of Smithing to get them. Also, you can try to find the Ghostblade on Ansilvund Excavation. It's at 9 base damage, does 3 points of extra damage ignoring armour ratings and it's improved with Ectoplasms (you'll need Arcane Smithing - Smithing 60 - to be able to improve it though).

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
arcane_chaos said:

How much smithing do you have? Dwarven and Elven swords are better than Skyforge and you only need 30 of Smithing to get them. Also, you can try to find the Ghostblade on Ansilvund Excavation. It's at 9 base damage, does 3 points of extra damage ignoring armour ratings and it's improved with Ectoplasms (you'll need Arcane Smithing - Smithing 60 - to be able to improve it though).

it's somewhere in the low 20's...looks i got some training to do...

arcane_chaos said:
lestatdark said:
arcane_chaos said:

it's somewhere in the low 20's...looks i got some training to do...

There's a cheap way to increase Smithing, if you're interested: 

For only 1 Leather and 2 Leather Strips, you can spam forge Hide Bracers to increase your Smithing to whatever level you want. I don't recommend doing this often, as this can overpower your character way too much.

Current PC Build