By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who has played Xenoblade?

I'm loving it so far. Up there with Tales of Vesperia for my fav. jRPG this generation. I went the import route and I strongly suggest others do the same if you live in America where NoA believes you shouldn't be playing it.

It really does max out the Wii in performance. It does slow down sometimes when many things are going on in a battle.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Fab_GS said:

- The game punishes you for exploring and doing side quests by overleveling you

The sidequest implementation is just heavily frontloaded. You can accept about three dozens of sidequests right at the start of the game and doing all of them will overlevel you indeed. The same holds true if you continue to do all the sidequests in the following areas, but by about the midpoint of the storyline it begins to even out and by the end of the game you are almost underleveled even if you did 400 sidequests or more.

It's pretty much impossible to have a JRPG with tons of rewarding sidequests that don't overlevel you. Scratch or decrease the rewards and the sidequests lose their appeal. Increase the difficulty of the storyline and the game either becomes a grindfest or feels like you are forced to do sidequests.

The best advice I can give is to stop doing sidequests once you sense that you are getting overleveled and come back to them later, because by then the EXP rewards have much less of an impact. Unless marked otherwise, pretty much all sidequests remain available until the very end of the game.

I did stop when I noticed that I'm overleveled. But the problem is I noticed that I'm overleved when I arrived at the refuge camp. Where everyone gave me tons of timed sidequests. Not knowing when it will end, I did them all before getting out of Gaur Plains. The same thing happened when I arrived at Alcamoth. I literally spent days finishing all the timed exclusives that city has to offer before going to Prison Island.

Side quests isn't the only source of EXPs. Discovering locations, landmarks nets you some EXPs. Sometimes secret areas give you too much EXPs. Another problem is the difference between 2 levels is quite big. An enemy that It's impossible to win at let's say level 70, can be easily defeated at level 72-73.

They should've balanced the amount of side quests (or EXPs) given at a certain time. Getting more than 15-25 side quests when first arriving at a town is too much. Frontier Village is a good example of that.

That's true regarding the unique enemies at the end of the game. It's how I'm enjoying the game now.

RolStoppable said:
Fab_GS said:

The sidequest implementation is just heavily frontloaded. You can accept about three dozens of sidequests right at the start of the game and doing all of them will overlevel you indeed. The same holds true if you continue to do all the sidequests in the following areas, but by about the midpoint of the storyline it begins to even out and by the end of the game you are almost underleveled even if you did 400 sidequests or more.

It's pretty much impossible to have a JRPG with tons of rewarding sidequests that don't overlevel you. Scratch or decrease the rewards and the sidequests lose their appeal. Increase the difficulty of the storyline and the game either becomes a grindfest or feels like you are forced to do sidequests.

The best advice I can give is to stop doing sidequests once you sense that you are getting overleveled and come back to them later, because by then the EXP rewards have much less of an impact. Unless marked otherwise, pretty much all sidequests remain available until the very end of the game.

The thing that pisses me off is the fact that after certain points in the story quests are longer available. So I either need to make a choice. Do everything and make the story boring as hell or do the story and miss out on possible side quest rewards and future quests.

Fab_GS said:

I'll break down my thoughts into pros and cons

Pros:-
- Fantastic, deep and extremely fun combat system
- Huge, immersive and well-designed world to explore
- Stunning environments
- Excellent sense of pacing
- The towns are full of life. Each NPC has its own schedule. It's addicting to talk to every NPC.
- It's fun to watch and change the relationships between NPCs in the affinity chart
- Great customizations
- Exceptionally non-linear and great teleporting system. You can almost go wherever you want at any time.
- Hundreds of addicting side quests
- Overall well-balanced characters
- Lack of loading times while exploring
- The transition between day and night is lovely with the music changing and the environments changing
- The difficulty is just right. Challenging but isn't frustrating.
- Good music
- Enjoyable cut-scenes
- The ability to choose JP voice acting (although the ENG voice acting isn't bad at all)
- Has achievements
- It takes 50h to finish the story and 130h-170h to finish everything

Cons:-
- The story is average and predictable
- Bad character and equipment models
- Framerate issues during big battles
- Unexciting final battle and an unsatisfying ending
- Too much talking during battles
- Extremely hard to find where to go during side quests (and finding a certain NPC)
- Although addicting, the side quests can get really repetitive
- Lack of enemies bestiary. The game really had everything. They should've added a bestiary.

Overall (9/10): Excellent game that you shouldn't miss. If you're an American, MOD YOUR Wii and IMPORT---IT---NOW

That's no good, seeing as this is a Xeno game. Is it really not that good?

95/100 best RPG this generation.

Fantastic soundtrack, absolutely massive world, loads of side quests, great art style, good battle system and addictive character affinity system.

The only bad thing about this game is that you can't let another human player control your AI partners like in the Tales games.

Other than that it's an amazing game, definitely worth buying if you're into RPG's.

Around the Network
g-value said:
Fab_GS said:

I'll break down my thoughts into pros and cons

Pros:-
- Fantastic, deep and extremely fun combat system
- Huge, immersive and well-designed world to explore
- Stunning environments
- Excellent sense of pacing
- The towns are full of life. Each NPC has its own schedule. It's addicting to talk to every NPC.
- It's fun to watch and change the relationships between NPCs in the affinity chart
- Great customizations
- Exceptionally non-linear and great teleporting system. You can almost go wherever you want at any time.
- Hundreds of addicting side quests
- Overall well-balanced characters
- Lack of loading times while exploring
- The transition between day and night is lovely with the music changing and the environments changing
- The difficulty is just right. Challenging but isn't frustrating.
- Good music
- Enjoyable cut-scenes
- The ability to choose JP voice acting (although the ENG voice acting isn't bad at all)
- Has achievements
- It takes 50h to finish the story and 130h-170h to finish everything

Cons:-
- The story is average and predictable
- Bad character and equipment models
- Framerate issues during big battles
- Unexciting final battle and an unsatisfying ending
- Too much talking during battles
- Extremely hard to find where to go during side quests (and finding a certain NPC)
- Although addicting, the side quests can get really repetitive
- Lack of enemies bestiary. The game really had everything. They should've added a bestiary.

Overall (9/10): Excellent game that you shouldn't miss. If you're an American, MOD YOUR Wii and IMPORT---IT---NOW

That's no good, seeing as this is a Xeno game. Is it really not that good?

I found it quite good and engaging

30h now, i'm getting surprised more and more i go.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

Xenoblade will be remembered as one of the five best games of the current console generation.

After 89 hours of intense fun I finished Xenoblade Chronicles. Now I'm tyring to finish some side quests including the rebuilding of colony 6. I'm nearing 100 hours of gameplay and there's still much to do.

I'm very pleased with NoE's decision to let Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower accompany Wii's last moments before Wii U arrives.