By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony PS3 beats Microsoft XBOX 360 handidly!

krik said:
I'm still impressed by the 9M (-80k) for PS3... amazing. It's official all X360 users can now buy a PS3 and wait with us for MGS4, FFXIII, KZ2, LBP, etc... move on guys, join the free PSN, lets see if we can crash it ;)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Count me in :P
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Well, I'd rather play awesome titles right now, (i.e Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, Metroid Prime 3, Gears of War, Orange Box, Legend of Zelda) and wait for even greater ones (i.e SSBB, Grand Theft Auto 4), then buy a 400 dollar piece of crap, which has no game good games except one, and has the smallest amount of exclusives coming out in '08 and sort through those games find good ones. I have no clue why the 360 isn't selling in Japan, but it's probably because Nintendo and Sony were around longer and Japan trusts or something. Buy a 360. Buy a Wii. Buy a PS3, then regret it later when everyone is playing the Wii.

The 360 won't bomb, the Ps3 won't sell out past 100 million, the Wii will. Over all predictions, NINTENDO IS BACK IN FIRST BITCHES!

Around the Network

The PS3's performance in Japan this week was abhorant. The Ps3 did beat the 360 and that is a suprise post Christmas sales, but it is worrisome given the modest margin between the two. Assuming at least 50k of the PS3s sold this week were sold primarily as Blu-Ray players (and I'm sure that's a modest estimate) the gap between hardware narrows even more so.

Even if the sales as a Blu-Ray player can be argued moot, at the moment this excitement for the PS3's renewed vigor is still premature as the 360's software is still handily outselling the PS3's by a far greater margin than what the PS3 itself is the 360.

I don't think we'll ever see the PS3 go to the same extreme that we've seen the PSP reach, but it is worrisome. People would be wise to hold their tongues in the meanwhile as proclamations cheered now may be used as ammunition against them later. Optimism may be everyone's right, but blind confidence is just contemptable.

Onimusha12 said:
The PS3's performance in Japan this week was abhorant. The Ps3 did beat the 360 and that is a suprise post Christmas sales, but it is worrisome given the modest margin between the two. Assuming at least 50k of the PS3s sold this week were sold primarily as Blu-Ray players (and I'm sure that's a modest estimate) the gap between hardware narrows even more so.

Even if the sales as a Blu-Ray player can be argued moot, at the moment this excitement for the PS3's renewed vigor is still premature as the 360's software is still handily outselling the PS3's by a far greater margin than what the PS3 itself is the 360.

I don't think we'll ever see the PS3 go to the same extreme that we've seen the PSP reach, but it is worrisome. People would be wise to bite their tongues in the meanwhile as proclamations cheered now may be held against them at a future date should things not go so smoothly for the PS3 as many here seem to hope.

Optimism may be everyone's right, but blind confidence is just contemptable.

I don't disagree totally with you and definitely think that the race is far from over; however, the ps3 has definitely improved its position and PS3 third party titles actually aren't doing as bad as what everyone wants to pretend they are. 

For example, the 360 has approximately 3x the console base of the ps3 in America.  CoD4 & Assassin's Creed on the 360 have sold about 3x more copies than the ps3 version in America...hmmm....that would give them a nearly identical attatch rate on both these games.  Meaning software sales are performing nearly equal considering install base which is super impressive considering the 360 has "achievements" which should sway many multi-console owners. (And actually these same games are doing even better in Europe.  I believe that Assassin's Creed actually has been selling more on the ps3 in Europe even though the 360 has a larger install base).

Certain games I don't think are honest comparison's like Orange Box because many ps3 owners didn't buy them because they felt "snuffed" because the ports were sloppy and riddled with problems (might as well get it on pc instead)....but on comparable third party titles, the ps3 has been performing NEARLY as well as the 360 attach ratio wise.

DMC4 will be a very, very interesting title to watch since it started on the playstation and has a strong history with it.

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

The PS3 seems to be catching the 360 in the US as well. 40000 difference is very good considering how strong M$ has been. The new advertising has to have helped.

After the issues that many have had with Xbox live the past couple weeks I really can't see how anyone can claim that Xbox Live is the better service. I guess they don't mind paying for a online service that sometimes doesn't work at all. I know that I won't be buying a new sub to live after this one runs out.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

And for those "Link or it didn't happen" guys. Here's a link http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/debunk-xbox-live-was-down-but-not-due-to-ddos-attack/ on the downtime with the Live service. Then again, if you have a 360 you already knew about the issues with it. Add that onto the RRoD issues and you can see why the tide is beginning to turn and that even with the huge AAA titles, MS barely outsold the PS3 this past year (And well within margin of error too).

Look for the PS3 to beat the 360 by at minimum 5 million units this year with the anticipated titles coming out for the PS3 and the 360 already having released it's "Big dogs".

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

And for those "Link or it didn't happen" guys. Here's a link http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/debunk-xbox-live-was-down-but-not-due-to-ddos-attack/ on the downtime with the Live service. Then again, if you have a 360 you already knew about the issues with it. Add that onto the RRoD issues and you can see why the tide is beginning to turn and that even with the huge AAA titles, MS barely outsold the PS3 this past year (And well within margin of error too).

Look for the PS3 to beat the 360 by at minimum 5 million units this year with the anticipated titles coming out for the PS3 and the 360 already having released it's "Big dogs".

Get your Portable ID!

Has anyone else noticed how good the PS3's software sales have been in Europe compared to the US?

After talking to folks over the holidays about buying video games, one thing is apparent to me - 3 things are driving PS3 sales leading up to the holidays - the brand, the BR aspect and the friend factor. I have asked folks what about the Sony lineup makes you want to buy a PS3. They flash me a clueless look and really don't know. They know they want a PS3 but really don't know why.

That's the biggest help for Sony - sell enough units, pull the wool over enough eyes until someone exposes them for the machine being a glorified BR player that plays games.

I am a gamer, and need a compelling argument to buy a system. I won't buy it because it's the popular thing to do. I need a few games to solidify me buying it or not. If it's potential, it will sit right there.

As far as the numbers, I'll gladly give props to the PS3. As far as Sony domination starting, I don't think so. The holidays are just past - and I still expect to see inflated numbers for all systems, be it folks have money to burn, gift cards to use and the like. However, if Sony is still beating the 360 2-3 months from now, if they have decreased the 360's lead to 6M, then I'll start to believe it.

Right now, the holiday bump is still in full effect. And what about attach rates? Where are all the software sales with the PS3? That alone leads me to believe yeah, it's selling, but folks are buying it for the BR aspect.

The coming months will tell the story.

@ mad skills. At the moment Sony's problem is America, software sales and hardware sales are struggling there. what sony needs is a few killer apps that appeal to the US market. You would assume Killzone would do some good, GTA IV will give it a boost, but not above the 360 which is its main competitor at the moment. They are doing very well in Europe in hardware and software, which is making up for their current woes in the US, but if they want to catch the 360, they will have to do something about the US