By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Naughty Dog: 'Gritty Xbox Shooters' Shaped Uncharted

disolitude said:
Cougarman said:

headhunter was a great game, but to be fair winback on N64 had the cover system before it

Winback was pretty good but looking at it now, all it had going for it was the cover mechanic. N64 also held it back with its subtitles and lack of voice work/cgi. But yes, that is where we first saw cover mechanics. Exciting times...

yeah, the game was avarage at best, i only could play until the first boss then i got bored of it

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network

Something doesn't make sense in regards to Gears being the influence.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune began development in 2004, Gears started at roughly the same time (with an even smaller team of 30 people, which I found shocking). Uncharted was then revealed in 2006 and released in 2007, while Gears was released one year before hand and was first announced in mid 2005. What I don't get is how Uncharted took influence from Gears and implemented those influences (the main gameplay mechanic in the game) within a year. The fantasy take on the franchise was obviously in concept art stages, they didn't take a game and turn it into Uncharted, they were just forced into creating Uncharted over a different type of game.

I'm willing to bet that the developer is referring to the original Xbox and it's games like Halo, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon.

I could be all wrong though, I just found it odd that people referred to Gears as an influence when they were both roughly in development at the same time.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Doobie_wop said:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune began development in 2004, Gears started at roughly the same time (with an even smaller team of 30 people, which I found shocking). Uncharted was then revealed in 2006 and released in 2007, while Gears was released one year before hand and was first announced in mid 2005. What I don't get is how Uncharted took influence from Gears and implemented those influences (the main gameplay mechanic in the game) within a year. The fantasy take on the franchise was obviously in concept art stages, they didn't take a game and turn it into Uncharted, they were just forced into creating Uncharted over a different type of game.

I'm willing to bet that the developer is referring to the original Xbox and it's games like Halo, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon.

I could be all wrong though, I just found it odd that people referred to Gears as an influence when they were both roughly in development at the same time.

thats what i got out of this.

especially since Uncharted would have already been under development for almost a year by the time we knew much about gears of war

Doobie_wop said:

This is why I think this statement made by a Naughty Dog guy seems strange. It might be that Sony wanted to push for more realistic games (which comes with the graphics technology).

This guy might as well have made up the 'Sony wanted to copy gritty Xbox shooters'. Might as well claim Resistance Fall of Man was influenced by Gears of War when they released around the same time. Or Heavy Rain copying Alan Wake or Prototype copying Infamous or vice versa.  

... and gears lifted many of the gameplay features that people ignorantly credit to it from games like killswitch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaM-b3pvJk

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Xxain said:
So they sold out to be like Xbox.. I knew it. I knew first party titles always felt and look liked Xbox titles

Even though nothing on Xbox really feels all that much like Uncharted. Regardless, when the market is changing, companies have to adjust to it. Who knows what Uncharted may have been before, you may not have liked it, so talks of selling out are a little out of touch in my view. Besides, Uncharted still feels like a PlayStation title (a nice blend of platforming, adventure, and storytelling).

If nothing else, I appreciate Microsoft's contribution to the market shift. It got Sony off their asses and that's why we have the 1st party line-up on the PS3 that we do.

Bolded:  Thats the bad part CGI lol.. thats exactly what I was referencing in 1st post.

Just think..we coulda had Jak4.. :(

Xxain said:
CGI-Quality said:
Xxain said:
So they sold out to be like Xbox.. I knew it. I knew first party titles always felt and look liked Xbox titles

Even though nothing on Xbox really feels all that much like Uncharted. Regardless, when the market is changing, companies have to adjust to it. Who knows what Uncharted may have been before, you may not have liked it, so talks of selling out are a little out of touch in my view. Besides, Uncharted still feels like a PlayStation title (a nice blend of platforming, adventure, and storytelling).

If nothing else, I appreciate Microsoft's contribution to the market shift. It got Sony off their asses and that's why we have the 1st party line-up on the PS3 that we do.

Bolded:  Thats the bad part CGI lol.. thats exactly what I was referencing in 1st post.

Jak is good but nowhere near Uncharted good me thinks

"runs away fast"

:P

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
Xxain said:
CGI-Quality said:
Xxain said:

"runs away fast"

Of course you feel that way... your one of  the people that Uncharted was made to attract to.

SONY's IP's are not valueble.. games like Resistance, Infamous(definitely this one), Killzone and maybe LBP need to be canned and replaced

Uncharted and GoW are the only SONY's IP' that see grwoth

Xxain said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Xxain said:
CGI-Quality said:
Xxain said:

"runs away fast"

Of course you feel that way... your one of  the people that Uncharted was made to attract to.

SONY's IP's are not valueble.. games like Resistance, Infamous(definitely this one), Killzone and maybe LBP need to be canned and replaced

Uncharted and GoW are the only SONY's IP' that see grwoth

hehe cant argue with the first line :D UC2 is for me one of the best games of all time

I don't think those franchises need to be canned..ESPECAILLY Infamous!most of them need reboots with a fresh start

Resistance, haven't played the new one yet but will soon...but from what i have seenthey have taken the right path. this game should be a shooter with a strong story and Survival Horror..

Infamous...it's doing just fine. consider the type of game it is and it is selling really well..and the quality has been top notch..Infamous 2 > Infamous 1 in almost every possible way

Killzone..this is tricky..i love K3 MP..but the SP needs to be worked on..a LOT! the pacing was horrible in KZ3..it was jumping all over the place...the game needs a strong SP and a great marketing campaign.

LBP..you are right tbh..i think this game should stick to Vita for a while..but don't want another LBP for a long long time on the home console.

I am really interested in seeing the next GOW..i guess they would keep Kratos but my hope is they would make a NEW GOW series. new lead, new setting etc. and im a HUGE fan of the series..and actually one of the few who likes Kratos

PS: you know what..actually thinking about it..you are right about KZ..they should can it and make GG make a new IP. fresh start. a more likebale cast of characters etc.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I thought this was obvious, anything you do nowadays has been done already. That doesn't mean it can't be good, Uncharted combined all of the elements of a great game, story, character development, etc. and pulled it all together to make one hell of a game. Just enjoy it.