By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS Vita Could Have The Power Of A PC

Well I suppose it could be about as powerful as a standard computer, not a gaming computer obviously.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
JEMC said:
sales2099 said:

Seems overly biased.

Guy is overly optomistic....ignoring the massive head start of the 3DS and forgetting that its price and games that sell systems......not hardware specs

EDIT: Oh and contemporary pcs cant even run games like Starcraft 2 on max settings. Just saying, the average PC isnt built for heavy duty gaming.

One year ago, in July 2010, TechSpot did this review.  With an Intel i7-920 running at 3.70GHz, the HD5870 was able to do an average of 60 fps (with a min of 45 fps), on a 2560x1600 res and the settings on Ultra.

Now there are Sandy Bridge CPUs, that run games faster, and the HD6970 or the GTX 580.

Since Vite has not been released yet, what is a contemporary PC for you?

I myself bought a $2000 + Mac Book Pro last Christmas. I cant run Starcraft 2 on max settings without a framerate dip. 

Thats because its a Mac Book. A $2000 Mac has the hardware of a $1000 PC if you're lucky.

scottie said:
PullusPardus said:
scottie said:
And it will also be priced at twice the cost of some contemporary PCs, what's their point?

Use sensible metrics for comparison please, not ones that are pretty much arbitrary

um. what ?  , what kind of PC are you talking about that is half of $250 ? a Calculatur ?

Half the price of a PSV = $125-150

You can get PCs for $100

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Tiny-sub100-PC-runs-Puppy-Linux/

http://linuxpr.com/releases/7357.html

Sure, they aren't good PCs (which is my point really), so what if PSV is 'as powerful as a pc', when there exist pcs that cost $100 and are not very powerful at all.

ssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrreeeee.

thats EXACTLY what you meant before using google.

PullusPardus said:
scottie said:
PullusPardus said:
scottie said:
And it will also be priced at twice the cost of some contemporary PCs, what's their point?

Use sensible metrics for comparison please, not ones that are pretty much arbitrary

um. what ?  , what kind of PC are you talking about that is half of $250 ? a Calculatur ?

You can get PCs for $100

Sure, they aren't good PCs (which is my point really), so what if PSV is 'as powerful as a pc', when there exist pcs that cost $100 and are not very powerful at all.

Hmm, I didn't know the names of the computers, nor the exact specs. I knew there were some $100 small form factor PCs running linux. So you're right, I did not mean exactly those particular computers.

scottie said:
PullusPardus said:
scottie said:
PullusPardus said:
scottie said:

You can get PCs for $100

Hmm, I didn't know the names of the computers, nor the exact specs. I knew there were some $100 small form factor PCs running linux. So you're right, I did not mean exactly those particular computers.

or rather you're trying too hard to find something  to bitch about the Vita?

i could say the same for 3DS , now would that be a waste of money?, because i can buy a paperweight PC for half it's price?

i know that article is bullshit, but come on thats just too mindly numbing thing you've said.

Around the Network

A PC from 2006 maybe

sales2099 said:
JEMC said:
sales2099 said:

Seems overly biased.

Guy is overly optomistic....ignoring the massive head start of the 3DS and forgetting that its price and games that sell systems......not hardware specs

EDIT: Oh and contemporary pcs cant even run games like Starcraft 2 on max settings. Just saying, the average PC isnt built for heavy duty gaming.

One year ago, in July 2010, TechSpot did this review.  With an Intel i7-920 running at 3.70GHz, the HD5870 was able to do an average of 60 fps (with a min of 45 fps), on a 2560x1600 res and the settings on Ultra.

Now there are Sandy Bridge CPUs, that run games faster, and the HD6970 or the GTX 580.

Since Vite has not been released yet, what is a contemporary PC for you?

I myself bought a $2000 + Mac Book Pro last Christmas. I cant run Starcraft 2 on max settings without a framerate dip. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 2009 MacBook Pro did sport either a 9400M or a 9600M GPU. Neither of those are good cards for gaming.  

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

PullusPardus said:

or rather you're trying too hard to find something  to bitch about the Vita?

i could say the same for 3DS , now would that be a waste of money?, because i can buy a paperweight PC for half it's price?

i know that article is bullshit, but come on thats just too mindly numbing thing you've said.

I have no objections to PS Vita. What I object to is the use of the term 'could have the power of a PC', which provides no information and is designed as a way of hyping up a console as being powerful, whilst protecting you from recrimination because you weren't technically lying.

I did not say that PSV was a waste of money becuase there are cheaper PCs, please do not put words in my mouth.

PSV is more powerful than some contemporary PCs, it is also 2.5-3 times the cost of some contemporary PCs. Move on, it is a stupid article and you are defending it, simply because you think that an attack on the article is an attack on the console. It is not.

did it say 2.5MHz ? considering todays pc run at 2-3Ghz which is something like 1000x faster, it seems pretty weak.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

Galaki said:

Although, the article is clearly for hits and sizzles.

Technically, every electronic devices are PC (personal computers).

Not really, all electronic devices are computers, but "PC" implies something about what you can use it for - it is for general purposes and should (i believe is implied in the definition) be user programable. It says nothing about architecture though. Z80, x86, POWER or Cell for that matter, they can all be stuck in a PC.