By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Box-Office Thread.

Can Disney beat Universal's record 2015 domestic gross - $2.445 billion?

It will fall short of tha... 4 13.33%

Finding Dory, Doctor Stra... 20 66.67%

It's going to be very cl... 6 20.00%

Total:30
Mordred11 said:
NintendoPie said:
Soooo... TDKR did not live up to what we hoped?

It's too early to say anything on that matter.This weekend has been heavily affected by the theater shootings.I just hope that it won't affect it in the long-run as well.

Yeah, those theater shootings are a real downer.

I think it might affect all movies in the end. America seems to react heavily to any act of terrorism so I bet you something'll have to happen to convince some American's into the theaters again.

Around the Network

Reports are coming in left and right. They are all saying around $160 million. While I believe the shootings negatively impacted TDKR opening gross, being slightly over the previous Batman suggests that it would not have beaten The Avengers regardless. If anything, not being in 3D probably had a bigger impact.

And we go lower...

"Friday $76.1M, Saturday $45.2M, Est Sunday $39.8M, Weekend $161.1M"

New estimates from Deadline.

Down from $163m OW...only slightly though. 

I'm hoping for a sub 50% weekend to weekend drop.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Mordred11 said:
MaulerX said:
There is no way TDKR will beat The Avengers.

Hollywoodreporter cite " insiders with access to theater grosses" and claim 165 to 170 million for the weekend. I'm going on a limb and even say that even without the shootings, this movie would still not have beaten the Avengers.

With a $30.6M midnight gross, TDKR was originally headed for a $90M+ OD. That would have been $10M ahead of The Avengers.The chances of beating it for the whole weekend would have been realistic.But the shootings stopped the movie to even get close to that projection.

You cannot assume that. It just means that TDKR shot a bigger load at midnight. To prove my point, Harry Potter did over $40 million at midnight but still wound up with an $169 Million opening gross.

MaulerX said:
Mordred11 said:
MaulerX said:

Hollywoodreporter cite " insiders with access to theater grosses" and claim 165 to 170 million for the weekend. I'm going on a limb and even say that even without the shootings, this movie would still not have beaten the Avengers.

With a $30.6M midnight gross, TDKR was originally headed for a $90M+ OD. That would have been $10M ahead of The Avengers.The chances of beating it for the whole weekend would have been realistic.But the shootings stopped the movie to even get close to that projection.

You cannot assume that. It just means that TDKR shot a bigger load at midnight. To prove my point, Harry Potter did over $40 million at midnight but still wound up with an $169 Million opening gross.

Don't compare apples with oranges. DH2 was a book adaptation ,and it performed as such . TDKR is a comic-book movie,just like The Avengers...with that mid-night opening ,followed by how a comic-book should have performed based on it ,it should have at least beaten The Avenger's opening day. But it didn't. The shootings massively affected the movie's opening , and anyone that thinks otherwise is either a hater or simply doesn't know enough about the box-office.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
I'm hoping that it's just a temporary downer. I'm going to have a double feature today. The Amazing Spiderman at 4:10 and Dark Knight at 7:30 :) Should make for a fun time. :D

You're in for a real treat , have fun .

axumblade said:
I'm hoping that it's just a temporary downer. I'm going to have a double feature today. The Amazing Spiderman at 4:10 and Dark Knight at 7:30 :) Should make for a fun time. :D

Wow enjoy that.

Both the movies are so different from each other you'll have fun.

And it's always better to see the worse one first too lol.

@PDF

The source is Deadline 

PDF said:
Mordred11 said:
Unofficial estimates are at $163M for the weekend ... Won't even beat Deathly Hallows 2.

where did you get that?

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/dark-knight-rises-banks-25m-pre-sales-and-85-ticket-sales-more-b-o-records-scalpers-brinks-trucks-than-avengers/

weekend estimates:

1. The Dark Knight Rises (Legendary/Warner Bros) NEW [4,404 Theaters]
Friday $76.1M, Saturday $45.2M, Est Sunday $39.8M, Weekend $161.1M

2. Ice Age 4 (Blue Sky/Fox) Week 2 [3,886 Theaters]
Friday $6.6M, Saturday $7.5M, Weekend $20.2M (-57%), Cume $88.7M

3. The Amazing Spider-Man (Columbia/Sony) Week 3 [3,753 Theaters]
Friday $3.3M, Saturday $4.1M, Weekend $10.7M, Cume $228.5M

4. Ted (MRC/Universal) Week 4 [3,214 Theaters]
Friday $3.1M, Saturday $3.8M, Weekend $10.2M, Cume $180.4M

5. Brave (Pixar/Disney) Week 5 [2,899 Theaters]
Friday $1.9M, Saturday $2.2M, Weekend $5.9M, Cume $208.7M

6. Magic Mike (Warner Bros) Week 4 [2,606 Theaters]
Friday $1.6M, Saturday $1.5M, Weekend $4.3M, Cume $102.0M

7. Savages (Universal) Week 3 [2,336 Theaters]
Friday $990K, Saturday $1.2M, Weekend $3.3M, Cume $40.0M

8. Madea’s Witness Protection (TPerry/Lionsgate) Week 4 [1,540 Theaters]
Friday $744K, Saturday $984K, Weekend $2.3M, Cume $60.4M

9. Moonrise Kingdom (Focus Features) Week 9 [895 Theaters]
Friday $551K, Saturday $741K, Weekend $1.8M, Cume $36.1M

10. To Room With Love (Sony Classics) Week 5 [552 Theaters]
Friday $401K, Saturday $602K, Weekend $1.4M, Cume $11.1M

____

OMG Spidey keeps going lower & lower.

Mordred11 said:
MaulerX said:
Mordred11 said:
MaulerX said:

Don't compare apples with oranges. DH2 was a book adaptation ,and it performed as such . TDKR is a comic-book movie,just like The Avengers...with that mid-night opening ,followed by how a comic-book should have performed based on it ,it should have at least beaten The Avenger's opening day. But it didn't. The shootings massively affected the movie's opening , and anyone that thinks otherwise is either a hater or simply doesn't know enough about the box-office.

But your still assuming. The shootings did have a negative impact, but did it have a $47 million negative impact (the figure needed to at least tie TA)? I don't think you should label people "haters" for thinking realistically. I still think not being in 3D played an equal or greater role.