By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo might need to expand?

Does Nintendo need to expand?

They need more studios so... 71 80.68%

They have enough studios,... 17 19.32%

Total:88

to those claiming Nintendo needs to make more new IPs:

Do you know how many they have made this generation? It's loads, off the top of my head I can name: Disaster: DoC, Xenoblade Chronicles/Monado, Elite Beat Agents/Oueden, Jam with the Band/Daigasso, Brain Training/Age, Big Brain Academy, Nintendogs, Wii...., Maboshi, Soma Bringer, Line Attack Heroes, The Last Story, Zangeki no Reinglev, Marionation Gear, Another Code/Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk/Last Window, Captain Rainbow, Pandora's Tower, and probably loads more I've forgotten about. In the 8th gen already, we've seen Steel Diver.

What Nintendo needs is not to make more new IPs (they could get away with making many fewer), but to instead put more marketing and development muscle behind each one. They need more new high profile, so called 'hardcore' IPs, that can sell more than 800k or 1m worldwide, not just new IPs in general (they are already doing this a lot), this gen the only one that fits that criteria is probably the Last Story. They need the equivalent of an Uncharted, and by that I don't mean a TPS, but a new IP that has the potential to sell over 1m and that caters to the so called 'hardcore' audience. I find it hard to believe that people want Nintendo to make many more new IPs, they should instead change their culture towards the nature of those New IPs that they do release.

Around the Network

They have enough good IP to make their own kids network channel.

the answer to this was obvious to me: the more software the better!

Nintendo's only real problem is they don't develop for enough platforms.

Until you've played it, every game is a system seller!

the original trolls

Wii FC: 4810 9420 3131 7558
MHTri: name=BOo BoO/ID=BZBLEX/region=US

mini-games on consoles, cinematic games on handhelds, what's next? GameBoy IMAX?

Official Member of the Pikmin Fan Club

MrT-Tar said:

Do you know how many they have made this generation? It's loads, off the top of my head I can name: Disaster: DoC, Xenoblade Chronicles/Monado, Elite Beat Agents/Oueden, Jam with the Band/Daigasso, Brain Training/Age, Big Brain Academy, Nintendogs, Wii...., Maboshi, Soma Bringer, Line Attack Heroes, The Last Story, Zangeki no Reinglev, Marionation Gear, Another Code/Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk/Last Window, Captain Rainbow, Pandora's Tower, and probably loads more I've forgotten about. In the 8th gen already, we've seen Steel Diver.

What Nintendo needs is not to make more new IPs (they could get away with making many fewer), but to instead put more marketing and development muscle behind each one. They need more new high profile, so called 'hardcore' IPs, that can sell more than 800k or 1m worldwide, not just new IPs in general (they are already doing this a lot), this gen the only one that fits that criteria is probably the Last Story. They need the equivalent of an Uncharted, and by that I don't mean a TPS, but a new IP that has the potential to sell over 1m and that caters to the so called 'hardcore' audience. I find it hard to believe that people want Nintendo to make many more new IPs, they should instead change their culture towards the nature of those New IPs that they do release.

You'll note many of those IP never made it to North America which is Nintendo's biggest market. Also as you said they never put muscle into developing the franchises. Nintendo needs to franchise them , make more then one title in the franchise and support it with some good marketing and products.

Pikmin is the last franchise I saw with a lot of potential. But Nintendo hasn't released Pikmin3 yet and they should make sure that when they do they market it huge and work to establish it as a core franchise. Of course if Nintendo wants to build good IP they also have to remember to target their main market (North America). Lets face it while Square and Sony and all the other major Japanese publishers are targeting American , Nintendo still seems content focusing on Japan.

Some more North American studios making games targeting our demographics would probably help immensely.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

No its a bad idea. Anymore it more money I give to Nintendo the more stuff I sell in order to satisfy my thirst for more games

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Joelcool7 said:
MrT-Tar said:

You'll note many of those IP never made it to North America which is Nintendo's biggest market. Also as you said they never put muscle into developing the franchises. Nintendo needs to franchise them , make more then one title in the franchise and support it with some good marketing and products.

Pikmin is the last franchise I saw with a lot of potential. But Nintendo hasn't released Pikmin3 yet and they should make sure that when they do they market it huge and work to establish it as a core franchise. Of course if Nintendo wants to build good IP they also have to remember to target their main market (North America). Lets face it while Square and Sony and all the other major Japanese publishers are targeting American , Nintendo still seems content focusing on Japan.

Some more North American studios making games targeting our demographics would probably help immensely.

This. On another note, NOA and NOE dont develop games?! IT begs the question how big is NOA and what the hell have they been doing and what the hell do they do??

A typical day for NOA is listen to their angry fans for not localizing games.

Even though Nintendo comes out with a lot of IPs they're not pushed as "Nintendo" IPs such as Mario or Zelda. If other IPs get pushed then it can give Mario a rest that the series needs.

Mr Khan said:
They are building a new R&D Center in Kyoto, and so long as they aren't just using it to replace the current building, i would imagine that would come with a large expansion of core NCL personnel

I agree that the main ailment seems to be a lack of development capacity and studios, but this isn't something that can just be executed willy-nilly without sacrificing quality

To be honest, that quality sacrifice already has happened this gen slightly with the Wii. Nintendo had SSBB, Mario Kart, Galaxy 2, Wii Fit, and Wii Sports; but none of their other titles improved upon past formulas, whether the game's were sequels or contained similar content.

Wii Music, Flingsmash, Animal Crossing, Super Paper Mario, etc...those games showed a mark downturn in average Nintendo quality.

As for if they need to expand? I say no. They just have to make better content with the teams they do have and actually continue to promote quality. That includes localizing games everywhere instead of exclusively in a smaller market.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

New ip's is their only problem in a sense. but really they did make alot of ip's this gen.