By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo might need to expand?

Does Nintendo need to expand?

They need more studios so... 71 80.68%

They have enough studios,... 17 19.32%

Total:88

Alright so I was recently reading comments from Reggie and Iwata. I noticed that other then the price a big factor they credit to 3DS failing was the lack of software. In particular Reggie mentions first party software, Nintendo had so much to show at E3 but come launch failed to deliver.

So Iwata stated they were learning from their mistakes for WiiU and hoped that consumers would trust them enough to adopt early. So this got me wondering how could Nintendo do anything about this with their limited resources?

Microsoft and Sony have been expanding constantly new acquisitions and new studios being formed every few months. But I haven't heard of Nintendo acquisition in ages, nor have I heard of many new studios being formed.

So this begs the question, is Nintendo currently capable of righting this wrong? Could they deliver enough first party software come WiiU's launch to make the launch a success? if they do, what about 3DS they need to definitely increase software numbers on that platform as well. Does Nintendo have the resources to produce way more software?

Or does Nintendo need to expand? They are sitting on 13 billion USD to they need to invest a bill or two in building some new studios and acquiring other smaller ones.

Also back when Wii initially was announced Nintendo said they had the resources to support Wii without third parties. If they could produce such large volumes of software why is their shortages right now? With 3DS support faltering I doubt many publishers will be as supportive day one with WiiU.

So Nintendo may need to support WiiU and 3DS almost entirely themselves until third parties are satisfied. Are they capable of doing that at their current levels?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

I voted for expansion, but after looking at Wikipedia and seeing how many first and second party studios they have, maybe they just need a few new IPs.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Tayne said:
I voted for expansion, but after looking at Wikipedia and seeing how many first and second party studios they have, maybe they just need a few new IPs.

They have a crap load of studios, but also have two platforms to support. Secondly these studios each take several years to produce games and with lackluster third party support Nintendo needs more software. Look at 3DS right now, third party support is virtually non-existant. Nintendo is going to have to rely entirely on first party content.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

They are building a new R&D Center in Kyoto, and so long as they aren't just using it to replace the current building, i would imagine that would come with a large expansion of core NCL personnel

I agree that the main ailment seems to be a lack of development capacity and studios, but this isn't something that can just be executed willy-nilly without sacrificing quality

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Tayne said:

that and stop relying on the ussual suspects. brign back other legends.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Tayne said:

This. Plus NoA and NoE should develop games.

Level1Death said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Tayne said:

This. Plus NoA and NoE should develop games.

yea and that

They need to expand and make some IPs. I also want to see less RPG's and make games for all regions not only Japan.

Miyamoto needs to put on his thinking cap and put another Nintendo made IP like Mario and Link. The last one was Pikmin.

If Nintendo wants to succeed, specially with the "harcore gamers", they need to expand to the west acquiring or creating at least 1 or 2 studios and start developing games in genres that are more prone to the western audience.

And no, those games don't necessarily have to be fps. They could develop action/adventure games (something different from Zelda) or racing games (Sony has GT and Microsoft has Forza), among others.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.