By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales surge 400% on back of price cut in Australia

binary solo said:

Really? I'd be surprised if they got no Mainland Europe sales data. I imagine they get direct sales data from Aussie too. Wouldn;t be surprised if they used an Aussie based algorithm for NZ though.

$440 is about the cheapest I've seen it here in NZ. Can't remember the price 2 weeks ago, but for sure it was more than $500.

$440NZD=$349AUD=$373USD. Of course the Aussie and NZ prices include sales taxes. The US $249 doesn't include sales tax. So the US till price must be close to $300.

No one's doing less than RRP deals, though perhaps $440 is a

EBGames had them for $499 and $399 from the day the price drop came into effect but they were sold out pretty sharpish.

I think the RRP's were $729 and $629, and obviously now they're $579 and $479, but everyone is selling them at $549 and $449.

If the World Cup wasn't starting next week i'd be getting two new ones.  At least now though, by the time I get them, there should be some good bundles out.

Around the Network
Cirio said:
That's a big jump... wonder why it surged so high. Wasn't the PS3 extremely overpriced in Australia before?

I have to admit, Sony have stepped up a bit.  It was ridiculously overpriced.

Now, accounting for GST (like VAT) and economies of scale, it isn't too bad.  Could be cheaper, but still not bad.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/entertainment/49514-ps3-sales-surge-400-on-back-of-price-cut

The new recommended retail price of the cutting-edge entertainment device, PlayStation 3, at just RRP $349.95 for 160GB and RRP $449.95 for 320GB model, represents a significant saving of approximately $150 on the former recommend retail price. It was effective in-stores on 22 August, 2011.

Australia & New Zealand Hardware

-Week Ending 13th Aug 2011

PS3 2,145 (-9%) 1,214,754

-Week Ending 20th Aug 2011

PS3 3,563 (+66%) 1,218,317

WTF!!!

Ads must've kicked in heavily.
Next week will be interesting.

scottie said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
So PS3 above 200,000 this week.

Although I'm not too sure that VGC really has first hand information for those sales, I heard someone say that they apply some algorith to UK sales to extrapolste to EMEAA, and that's why imprecisions happen the most here.

The list of retailers that VGChartz tracks is a closely guarded secret - anyone who claims they know for sure what the list is is lying. However, if you look at data for individual games when they are launched in Australia in a different week to when they are launched in Europe. you can see that Australian data is taken into account.

Maybe a bit of both. If you look at PS3 sales last week you can see that VGC has them 50% higher than the previous week, even though there had been no pricecut that week. Dunno, maybe a coincidence, but I don't think there are any big releases there to cause a 50% bump.

Edit: it was a 66% bump, just look a couple of posts above.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
ethomaz said:

AMAZING NEWS!!!

Last week PS3 did 3,563 in Australia by VGC... it's at least 18,000.

looks like an adjustment is in order.

this is great news and i hope it coontinues.

I saw yesterday but the gone down to me.

Now it's 4,047 for Australia... at least 20,000 this week.

ethomaz said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
ethomaz said:

AMAZING NEWS!!!

Week Ending 27th Aug 2011

PS3 5,958 (+47%) 1,223,402

jugon21 said:
ethomaz said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
ethomaz said:

AMAZING NEWS!!!

So was it SONY that states that ~17,000 were sold (Shipped) or a 3rd party tracking firm like NPD?

If it is a group like NPD then why would VGChartz show a number that is drastically lower?

Anyways, great job PS3.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

This is based on official NPD Group Australia sales data1 from retailers nationally.
i guess vgchartz extrapolates numbers based of other countrys

jugon21 said:
ethomaz said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
ethomaz said:

AMAZING NEWS!!!

I can't understand VGC some time