By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales surge 400% on back of price cut in Australia

Sony Computer Entertainment Australia today revealed a PlayStation®3 (PS3™) sales surge of over 400% in the week following implementation of the recent price drop across the 160GB and 320GB models in Australia. This is based on official NPD Group Australia sales data1 from retailers nationally.

Link

Thats about 17000 consoles. Also the pricecut was on the 22nd so there should be a good boost in emeaa from Australia. Any other countries where the price cut didn't take effect in last weeks sales?

Around the Network

So if that figure is just for Australia, is it reasonable to expect a 100K week in EMEAA?

AMAZING NEWS!!!

Last week PS3 did 3,563 in Australia by VGC... it's at least 18,000.

That's a big jump... wonder why it surged so high. Wasn't the PS3 extremely overpriced in Australia before?

That boost is insane considering the size of the pricecut.

Advertising must have kicked in, I guess. I wonder what boost we will see across the rest of EMEAA... Could be huge...

Around the Network

Yeah the PS3 went from $499 for the 160GB version to $349, so much much cheaper. The Australian dollar has been over parity with the US dollar for a while now, so I guess Sony used the opportunity to re-align the price better with the US. Still getting ripped off though, works out to be the equivalent of $US370, but that applies with everything in Australia, not just PS3's.

So PS3 above 200,000 this week.

Although I'm not too sure that VGC really has first hand information for those sales, I heard someone say that they apply some algorith to UK sales to extrapolste to EMEAA, and that's why imprecisions happen the most here.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

czecherychestnut said:
Yeah the PS3 went from $499 for the 160GB version to $349, so much much cheaper. The Australian dollar has been over parity with the US dollar for a while now, so I guess Sony used the opportunity to re-align the price better with the US. Still getting ripped off though, works out to be the equivalent of $US370, but that applies with everything in Australia, not just PS3's.

We get ripped off in Europe too, if it makes you feel better.

Everything is $1=€1, so we pay $US360 (€250).

It's funny when Americans complain that their games are $US60 when we pay €75, which is $US108.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Cirio said:
That's a big jump... wonder why it surged so high. Wasn't the PS3 extremely overpriced in Australia before?

Before the cut it was $499 AUD, the official price cut was to $349 AUD but stores took another 50 dollars of so its been selling for 299 dollars, basically a $200 AUD cut.

yep its a offical price drop of 150 dollars (largest gloabally) but the retailers have passed on an extra 50 dollars for a total of 200 dollars and have reaped the rewards of doing so.

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong