By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2008 the year of the PS3 or Xbox?

CrazzyMan said:
FOR MOST GAMERS - PS3.

PS3 will have MOST proven and anticipated titles in 2008.

uh, a title can't be proven until its been released and played.  You could claim it has the most proven franchises releasing in 2008, but of course that will be debated on the forums. 

And seeing as most 'Gamers' (and I assume you only consider individuals 'gamers' if they meet YOUR set criteria) don't own a PS3, your claim is hard to justify at the moment.

In my opinion though, IGNORING the Wii (as is so often done in these types of threads,)  I would guess the PS3 woul dhave a bigger year than the 360

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network

It will be the year of the Wii

我是广州人

CrazzyMan said:
FOR MOST GAMERS - PS3.

PS3 will have MOST proven and anticipated titles in 2008.

He's back...

Legend11 said:

I think the problem is that the Wii is likely to only have 5-6 great games for the entire year while the PS3 and 360 are likely to have 25-30. Its basically the same thing we've seen year after year, a Nintendo console that gets a few good games and then everyone has to do the "Nintendo wait" for the next good game (anywhere from 2-4 months, sometimes longer).

I think it will be less problematic this year (compared to last and Cube times). I expect the complete opposite in 2009, with many great games coming.

For 2008 we already know:

No More Heroes, Brawl, Mario Kart, Tales of Symphonia2, Star Wars FU, House of the Dead, Okami, Samba di Amigo, Top Spin (first realistic Tennis game - should do really well), Spore, Civilization, FF:CC, Disaster Day of Crisis.

Maybe not all AAA titles, but still 13 games in diverse genres that will probably be rated 7 or higher.

uh, a title can't be proven until its been released and played. You could claim it has the most proven franchises releasing in 2008, but of course that will be debated on the forums.

Bullshit.
Do you know anything about BRAND + Proven Developers?
And seeing as most 'Gamers' (and I assume you only consider individuals 'gamers' if they meet YOUR set criteria) don't own a PS3, your claim is hard to justify at the moment.

Just Look at MGS, GT, Motorstorm, Resistance, GoW, Tekken, FF, Getaway, Jak sales.
These are only BRANDS of exclusive ps3 games.

There also will be a lot of games from PROVEN developers in 2008.

In my opinion though, IGNORING the Wii (as is so often done in these types of threads,) I would guess the PS3 woul dhave a bigger year than the 360

How MANY Wii games were released in 2007 with GOOD STORY?

Ignoring Wii? Can Wii HOLD GTA4? MGS4? FFXIII? CoD4? AC? AC6? ES? RE5? SH5? DMC4?
Then Why to mention system, which CAN`T handle HD games?

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Sigh... I see you're right back to your old tricks.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

CrazzyMan said:

uh, a title can't be proven until its been released and played. You could claim it has the most proven franchises releasing in 2008, but of course that will be debated on the forums.

Bullshit.

Oh right.  A sequal made by the same developer is ALWAYS as good or better than its predicesor *ahem*Perfect Dark 0, LOZ:WW*ahem*  

Just Look at MGS, GT, Motorstorm, Resistance, GoW, Tekken, FF, Getaway, Jak sales.

How does this apply to my comment you quoted?

In my opinion though, IGNORING the Wii (as is so often done in these types of threads,) I would guess the PS3 woul dhave a bigger year than the 360

Ignoring Wii? Can Wii HOLD GTA4? MGS4? FFXIII? CoD4? AC? AC6? ES? RE5? SH5? DMC4?

Because, unlike you, I have read the original post and understand what is being discussed.  You could have made the same claim about 2007, but look at the results.  You have to consider Wii in the overal picture of who is going to have the best 2008.  IGNORING WII I said I would pick the PS3.

What does HD have to do with this discussion anyway?  Please stop using any possible post as a springboard to take jabs at the console that posts the most threat to your ability to felatiate the PS3

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

CrazzyMan said:

Bullshit.

Do you really think a lot of people want these?!? People bought those because it was the only thing decent (decent =/= AAA). I wouldn't call Resistance and Motorstorm main proven brands.

Why mention a system that only sold about 8 million units LTD when we could talk about a record breaking one with close to 20 million. Why mention a system that doesn't sell games at all while we can talk about several systems that do? Why talk about a syatem that doesn't have BC? Why talk about a system that doesn't have any Game of the Year of any reliable website?  Etc...etc..

twesterm said:
dannyphantom105 said:

edit: thank you for fixing the pages.

i think it will be ps3s year because of Metal gear solid 4, final fantasy13,killzone 2, little big planet,, infamous, gran turismo 5, motorstorm 2,resistance 2, haze, burnout paradise, white knight story, africa, grand theft auto 4,and many more games coming out that all look amazing. almost every game i listed isexclusive, except for 2.

the ps3 will start to gain america back by killzone and mgs 4.
i dont know if it will ever catch the wii, but i think the ps3 has a very strong
2008 lineup. i think it will catch the 360 in worldwide maybe in 2009.

MGS4 - Don't get me wrong, it will sell, but I don't think it's going to be the uber seller that people give it credit for. Don't bother arguing with me on this one because I will promptly ignore you-- we'll just have to wait to see who is right.

FFXIII - I thought we were talking 2008-- you're not going to see this game until 2009.

Killzone 2 - I have seen nothing of this game that makes me believe it's going to be any better than Killzone.

LBP - It's interesting but it's not going to sell well at all.

Infamous - I will admit, I know nothing about this game.

GT5 - Of course this will be a big seller

Motorstorm 2 - Has this even been announced yet? Even so, if wouldn't be released in 2008, earliest would be 2009.

Resistance 2 - Same deal as above, expect to see it in 2009

Haze - Probably be big but nothing stellar but I could be thinking that just because I'm not uber excited for the game. Why not, we can put this one on the PS3's big seller list.

Burnout Paradise - It might do well in Europe maybe?

White Knight Story - 2009

Africa - Yeah, ok.

GTAIV - It will be big, but it will be bigger for the 360

So, is that the best you got?

Killzone 2 - It's better than the 1st killzone, though that's not saying much. Could become big simply by hype alone. 

LBP - Sony's putting some marketing money behind this. (A lot of it) if done right, ala nintendo, could become big hit with casuals and hard core.

Infamous - Crackdown on steroids.

Resistance 2 - End of 08. Will be far better than 1st game.

Haze - Nothing special about this game, other than it's being developed by Free Radical.

White Knight Story - 2008 (for Japan at least) It'll be a good RPg. Final Fantasy it is not.

Everything else you said was true. (more or less) 

Legend11 said:

I think the problem is that the Wii is likely to only have 5-6 great games for the entire year while the PS3 and 360 are likely to have 25-30. Its basically the same thing we've seen year after year, a Nintendo console that gets a few good games and then everyone has to do the "Nintendo wait" for the next good game (anywhere from 2-4 months, sometimes longer).

P.S. I suspect the thread starter started this thread as flame bait to try to start something with the fallout being that it will get some 360 and/or PS3 fanboys banned.

Most people who own consoles actually buy less then 5-6 games a year.