By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2008 the year of the PS3 or Xbox?

Profcrab said:
I think the real battle is between the 360 and the PS3. The Wii is indisputable success and neither the 360 nor the PS3 are likely to ever catch it in sales. However, the Wii market overlaps alot of the same market as the 360 and PS3 so I think it's prefectly fair to pair off the two HD consoles and not consider the Wii for the moment.

Between only the 360 and the PS3, I'm going to say that the PS3 will continue to be a bit sluggish in game sales. The biggest surprise of '07 was the slow sales of PS3 exclusives when compared to multiplatform titles. The 360 versions of multiplatform titles also just blew the PS3 out of the water. This solidified the position of the 360 as the lead console for most multiplatform games. The PS3 is being sustained by much of it's sales outside the US, but the US market for it is still lackluster and that will continue to hold the system back for the rest of it's life.

Although the market in the US is lacklustre, Europe is more than making up for it, if you look at hardware this week is clearly shown, although of course this is special circumstances. Thrid party sales have struggled on PS3 because the quality of ports have been so poor. The best ones, AC and CoD  have done incredibly well, and in Europe AC PS3 has outsold 360.

Around the Network

They outsold the 360 versions in those countries, but not in overall sales. The US is a huge market and the PS3 just doesn't have it. If they had even double the market in the US they have now (which would still be below the 360), it might be a different story. Developers are looking at the big picture also, and the big picture says, "If you don't have the US, you are lagging."

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Munkeh111 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Munkeh111 said:
@ clerk, he is not calling it a fad, he is just saying that demand will for it will fall away when supply is meeting demand. Which does not really make sense. I feel the Wii will probably outsell the PS360, but not as easily as this year.

Actually console sales get stronger for the leader in year two so it'll probably be easier

Except that the Wii had such a good year this time, it much less likely to be able to repeat that, and PS360 will perform a lot better. GTA IV and the other big games for those two will help them stop the Wii from gaining market share.

margins are a bit mucked up

GTA 4 will have no effect on Wii, same as Halo had no effect on Wii, demographics for Wii are much wider

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

definitely cannot agree with that....2008 will be Wii's year once more....just think of Wii Fit launch, along with Super Smash B. Brawl, Mario Cart Wii and others......

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

I think the ps3 will gradually start to pull away from the 360 this year.

360 will still win America by a landslide, but the ps3 will be drawing closer by year end.

The ps3 will win Europe & Japan by a landslide throughout 08'.

Europe is still a relatively young console market and will see solid growth every year for awhile.

I think Europe + Japan >>> America in 08'.

On the wii note, I think it will dominate 08' again, but start to meet demand around early summer (until the Holdiays). I think Nintendo should have started the Wii price out at 274.99 or 299.99...but how could they know that demand was going to be so wacko?

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

Around the Network
invalidcommand said:
I definitely think the PS3 and Xbox360 will pull it off this year. I think the Wii-Wii ride is slowing down. A lot of people that bought the Wii or are still buying it are reselling it to make a profit because the demand is there.When a product has to be limited just to make consumer starve for it, it makes me wonder why this has to happened to make a suppose awesome system sell. If its that good why do that. It's not a bad system it's juts not the type of system, I think would be in favor for long. I predict a drop in price and slow in sales by the middle of the year. Ok PS3 & Xbox Haters get out your Gunz and start Shooting!!!!
Peace
~Lisa~.

"Here, fishy fishy fishy... come hang on my little hook."

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

I feel very surprised to learn that a thread about the PS3/360 battle for this year turns into a Wii gloryfest... Priceless, as always!

@Mummelman: actually, it's perfectly legitimate. He asked if it would be the year of the PS3 or 360, since Wii didn't have many good games coming out. I used the list to prove him wrong. That's it. I didn't overdramatize it, and neither has anyone else. Some people said they thought it would be the Wii's year, some said 360, some said PS3. Maybe you just want to spin it like that so you can call us fanboys?

Most of ATARI games back in the 80's etc were shovelware.

A lot of NES games were shovelware.

Infact, most high-selling consoles have a lot of shovelware because the consumers that make up a lot MORE of potential marekt actually enjoy shovelware games. I watched a group of casuals actually enjoy that Carnival Games game on Wii, which seemed to be annoying to me... although I prefer moderately casual games, I suppose.

Shovelware isn't avoidable, and it doesn't really hurt anyone. You will still have the big companies making big games anywhere anytime.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

MrPickles said:
@Mummelman: actually, it's perfectly legitimate. He asked if it would be the year of the PS3 or 360, since Wii didn't have many good games coming out. I used the list to prove him wrong. That's it. I didn't overdramatize it, and neither has anyone else. Some people said they thought it would be the Wii's year, some said 360, some said PS3. Maybe you just want to spin it like that so you can call us fanboys?

Wow, you're really out for me today. Calm down, I'm just commenting on Vgchartz trends, not this thread in particular. All threads, regardless of topic seem to take the same direction these days. You've had to many Pickles Mr!