By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2008 the year of the PS3 or Xbox?

Hahaha, man, I just can't believe that there are still people dumb enough to call the Wii fad. Unbelievable!

Around the Network

@ clerk, he is not calling it a fad, he is just saying that demand will for it will fall away when supply is meeting demand. Which does not really make sense. I feel the Wii will probably outsell the PS360, but not as easily as this year.

Desroko said:
Legend11 said:
I think the problem is that the Wii is likely to only have 5-6 great games for the entire year while the PS3 and 360 are likely to have 25-30. Its basically the same thing we've seen year after year, a Nintendo console that gets a few good games and then everyone has to do the "Nintendo wait" for the next good game (anywhere from 2-4 months, sometimes longer).

That's subjective, though. You have to accept that a large number of people (a plurality of the market, apparently) do not share your opinion of what constitutes a great game.

some people bought high school musical.. that is not a great game, but it did appeal to some people and that is what matters.

@Legend:

I think the problem is that the Wii is likely to only have 5-6 great games for the entire year while the PS3 and 360 are likely to have 25-30. Its basically the same thing we've seen year after year, a Nintendo console that gets a few good games and then everyone has to do the "Nintendo wait" for the next good game (anywhere from 2-4 months, sometimes longer).

P.S. I suspect the thread starter started this thread as flame bait to try to start something with the fallout being that it will get some 360 and/or PS3 fanboys banned.

I disagree--I understand where you're coming from, because that's what happened with the N64 and the GameCube, but it's different now with the Wii. Now that Nintendo is dominating the market again, they're seeing the most TP support they've had since the glory days of the SNES. Here's a tentative list of Wii games coming out next year, along with a few for 09:

http://wii.ign.com/index/release.html

Munkeh111 said:
@ clerk, he is not calling it a fad, he is just saying that demand will for it will fall away when supply is meeting demand. Which does not really make sense. I feel the Wii will probably outsell the PS360, but not as easily as this year.

Actually console sales get stronger for the leader in year two so it'll probably be easier

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Munkeh111 said:

Actually console sales get stronger for the leader in year two so it'll probably be easier

Except that the Wii had such a good year this time, it much less likely to be able to repeat that, and PS360 will perform a lot better. GTA IV and the other big games for those two will help them stop the Wii from gaining market share.

margins are a bit mucked up

You have to admit, there's an awful lot of shovelware in that list.

Still, I could easily buy a game every month this year and still cast a longing glance at some other title that I wish I had the money to get. I'm not going to be hurting for games this year.

Edit: You broke the page, Pickles!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Sorry for the broekn page

I'll get the duct tape...

I think the real battle is between the 360 and the PS3. The Wii is indisputable success and neither the 360 nor the PS3 are likely to ever catch it in sales. However, the Wii market overlaps alot of the same market as the 360 and PS3 so I think it's prefectly fair to pair off the two HD consoles and not consider the Wii for the moment.

Between only the 360 and the PS3, I'm going to say that the PS3 will continue to be a bit sluggish in game sales. The biggest surprise of '07 was the slow sales of PS3 exclusives when compared to multiplatform titles. The 360 versions of multiplatform titles also just blew the PS3 out of the water. This solidified the position of the 360 as the lead console for most multiplatform games. The PS3 is being sustained by much of it's sales outside the US, but the US market for it is still lackluster and that will continue to hold the system back for the rest of it's life.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

2008 will not be the year of either the PS3 or the XBox 360!

The price of the XBox 360 and PS3 will remain above the price most people are willing to spend on a videogame system for most of the year, third party exclusive games for both platforms will become sparse, and key games will continue seeing delays or underperforming.

The Wii will (likely) see twice as many third party games released this year, and three or four times as many quality third party exclusive games because of the success of the Wii in 2007; whereas the Wii mostly saw quick ports of PS2 games in 2007, in 2008 the Wii will see a lot more games that were developed by better development teams with larger budgets and longer development cycles. Nintendo's plans are (mostly) unknown, but the success of Wii Fit in Japan will probably translate to North America and Europe, Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. have massive crossover appeal and will sell (amazingly) well, and we're likely going to see the return of several series (as well as new series) for the end of 2008. If Nintendo starts to see a steady supply above demand they are in a far better position to reduce the price of the Wii (or offer solid bundles) to encourage further sales; they could (potentially) sell a Wii, Wii Sports, 2 Controllers, 2 Nunchucks and a game of your choice for $200 with minimal losses.