By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can it be argued that God is a female?

Mr Khan said:

Origin of all that is good and mother to us all

This.

I've played Okami. God is definitely a woman. A woman with a good sense of humor.

Around the Network

Well, if you're christian god has to be a male for you.

Though that seems quite a stupid concept for me, why would a god need balls?

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

superchunk said:
God does not have a sex. God does not have a physical form as we define it. God simply is and is all.

Seems stupid to assume a omnipresent God that created all is limited by anything.

:p

Ps3 said:

For all we know God himself can actually be a female and not a male. Is it 100% correct to assume God is a male?

If you are talking about the Judeo-Christian perspective, God is traditionally referred to as Father. The Bible says that God made Adam in his image. But in my opinion, God has no form that we would understand. Adam was made in God's image, but I think that means intelligence, freewill, reason etc. God exists outside of the laws of physics or nature. God is everywhere and in all of us. I suppose God could take a human form. Jesus is both the son of God and part of God, but he could have easily been a she. Of course, the people of ancient Jerusalem would never have accepted a daughter of God as their savior so God choose the form that the people of the time could accept. We are the children of God so people think of God as a parent. Most religions view God as a father, others as a Mother. It doesn't really matter, people like familiar concepts rather than thinking of God as universal and infinite. We humans don't really have any way to even imagine the infinite so we scale it down.

That's just my opinion. The bible is full of stuff that is hard to understand. Take Genesis for example. It says God created everything, but it doesn't say how. In the beginning there was darkness and Go said "Let there be light". It says god made Adam from dust and Eve from Adam's rib. I think God created all of existence through science. To us it's science and seems magical, to God it's like making waffles. Adam's dust sounds a lot like atoms and molecules. "Let there be light", sounds an awful lot like the Big Bang Theory. Ancient people would never understand such complex ideas so God had to dumb it down to dust and light. Simple concepts that simple people could understand and retell forever.

So in summary, God is too complex for our tiny brains to understand and probably has as much need for sexual organs as the planet Uranus. ;)

about as much as it can be argued that god is a male...which is to say...not at all

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

The Christian God, as described in the bible, is most definitely a male

“Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid...for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.”

Unfortunately, I suspect you will find quotes using the word 'he' in the texts of all major religions. The reason for this is that when the religions were created, it was completely alien to think of a female in such a position of power. Even the greeks and romans, the female gods were the unimportant ones. Any religions we create now, and in the next few hundred years may well have female deities.

The creator is the creation itself.

But yea if given the two. God is more feminine and loving.

well i guess it is said that god in a sense gave birth to all of us...

scottie said:
The Christian God, as described in the bible, is most definitely a male

“Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid...for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.”

Unfortunately, I suspect you will find quotes using the word 'he' in the texts of all major religions. The reason for this is that when the religions were created, it was completely alien to think of a female in such a position of power. Even the greeks and romans, the female gods were the unimportant ones. Any religions we create now, and in the next few hundred years may well have female deities.

Be fair to the Greeks and Romans. Athena was consistently portrayed as one of the most powerful, good and clever of their gods.

Must......resist....temptation...to.....joke about....God's boobs.....must...avoid...eternal....damnation.

Whew. That was a close one. I'm outta here!