By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - X360 in Japan...why?

Grey Acumen said:
"they said he was crazy to build a castle in the middle of a swamp, but he did it anyway. That castle sank into the swamp.
so he tried again, that castle sank into the swamp.
but he tried a third time! that castle burned, toppled over and then sank into teh swamp.
but the fourth time, the castle stood!"

Now all they need is the big tracts of land : P

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
Because Japan is a major force when it comes to console games. If Microsoft is ever to completely dominate with a future console they need to have all the major (and many minor) Japanese developers onboard.

Yep, it's all about developers.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

The Japanese are good people, they deserve to have 360s!

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.

MrPickles said:
(I believe the 360 has already outdone the original 'box's total sales in Japan?)

Hmm, interesting question, looking at Worldwide Hardware Shipments: This week they reached the amount, that the original XBOX did. I dont know if they sold some thousand less or more, because the numbers only show 10K, but they reached that mark. Congratulations Microsoft!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

.....Because Japanese developed games do best in Japan?

Microsoft has always had a drain, and no hold over Japanese developers - they get a few exclusives here and there from Namco, and Capcom.

In the West, they have virtually everything - how many developers in the West develop tons of exclusives for the Wii and PS3? Very, very, VERY few.

MS has the chokehold on Western developers. But it's bigger than just Japan: Microsoft is gaining traction in Asia. Taiwan, and South Korea, by all accounts, are not folding to the PS3/Wii as quickly as Japan. These countries enjoy Japanese games almost as much as the Japanese do - so your adding increased hardware sales in multiple countries by adding to the J-Dev's making more X360 games.

So if MS ever wants to be well rounded, they need Japanese developers. In order to get Japanese developers, they need to move more hardware in Japan - go look at the Sega Genesis for the reasons. Sega had no traction in Japan, because Nintendo had a chokehold on developers. Because of that, Sega lost out on alot of Japanese sales, and it eventually trickled down to US and European sales.

*gasp* some Japanese games do well in the US and Europe too! Microsoft might want some of those sales, rather than the Wii/PS3 sucking up all of those sales.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
.....Because Japanese developed games do best in Japan?

Microsoft has always had a drain, and no hold over Japanese developers - they get a few exclusives here and there from Namco, and Capcom.

In the West, they have virtually everything - how many developers in the West develop tons of exclusives for the Wii and PS3? Very, very, VERY few.

MS has the chokehold on Western developers. But it's bigger than just Japan: Microsoft is gaining traction in Asia. Taiwan, and South Korea, by all accounts, are not folding to the PS3/Wii as quickly as Japan. These countries enjoy Japanese games almost as much as the Japanese do - so your adding increased hardware sales in multiple countries by adding to the J-Dev's making more X360 games.

So if MS ever wants to be well rounded, they need Japanese developers. In order to get Japanese developers, they need to move more hardware in Japan - go look at the Sega Genesis for the reasons. Sega had no traction in Japan, because Nintendo had a chokehold on developers. Because of that, Sega lost out on alot of Japanese sales, and it eventually trickled down to US and European sales.

*gasp* some Japanese games do well in the US and Europe too! Microsoft might want some of those sales, rather than the Wii/PS3 sucking up all of those sales.

Very well said.  The fact that they are getting support from Japanese developers is what sold me on the console, although right now, I may be on the outer rim of 360 owners.  Western games have always been second to me, although I am finally warming up to a few like R&C, Uncharted, and Mass Effect.  If it weren't for Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden, and Infinite Undiscovery, the 360 would not be seeing the light of day in my entertainment center.

I do think Microsoft is not doing enough marketing in the West for the Japanese games on their system.  I didn't hear anything about Eternal Sonata or Blue Dragon from them.  The only people that know about Lost Odyssey are people visiting these forums. 

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Because Japanese devs rule.

Microsoft is a long way from winning over Japan. It would probably help their cause if they first beat the PS3 in the EU and gained reputation. This would help them more in the long term. It really doesn't matter anyway since Japan is moving from consoles to handhelds anyway.

Steve Ballmer was extremely sweating in that video...lol

Developers, developers, developers.....Come guys clap with me...lol

I couldn't agree with you more.  japan doesn't like the 360, so let it be.  MS should exploit western

gaming because this is were the money is at.