By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Tony Bennett Expects Lady Gaga to Be 'As Big as Elvis'

Do you agree with Tony Bennett?

yes 20 14.39%

no 65 46.76%

lady gaga has no talent o... 29 20.86%

lady gaga certainly has talent so maybe 9 6.47%

who's lady gaga 16 11.51%

Total:139
Carl2291 said:
What? I didnt say that at all and even posted Rihanna having more AFTER the list with Gaga.

Using the numbers you just posted -

Rihanna has sold 80 Million over 7 Years and 6 Albums.
Beyonce has sold 75 Million over 9 Years and 4 Albums, if its not counting DC.
Shakira has sold 70 Million over 15 Years and 7 Albums.
Gaga has sold 64 Million over 4 Years and 3 Albums.

Simple numbers speak for themselves.

cool!! because out of these i prefer Gaga

what about Adele?

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Around the Network
sapphi_snake said:
HappySqurriel said:
In 5 years I would expect that (somewhere around) 80% of her current fans to be ashamed to admit that they were once liked her ... So I doubt she will be 'as big as Elvis'

Well, Elvis is kinda lame nowadays TBH.

Maybe to children but The King's rock albums still hold up today for many people, myself included. Compare this the Lady Ga Ga's ''music'' which will be forgotten ten years after she is gone. The Backstreet Boys had a couple diamond albums and they didn't have any staying power, what chance does Lady Ga Ga have?

HappySqurriel said:
.:Dark Prince:. said:
HappySqurriel said:
In 5 years I would expect that (somewhere around) 80% of her current fans to be ashamed to admit that they were once liked her ... So I doubt she will be 'as big as Elvis'

Ashamed of what? Of her talent? I agree she's so popular based on part gimmicks and part talent, but the girl has a great voice and she can sing live while dancing, unlike most pop singers today. 

She stands up for the minority, not just in words but in actions too. (See her DADT videos, and the fact that she met with Obama to discuss gay bullying)

Why would anyone be ashamed of being her fan? Because she knows how to sell her songs? If you were given the chance to become a multi-millionare by doing all the wacky shows and clothes etc, you would probably do so. I know I would.

Anyway, she won't be as big as Elvis, based on the fact that compared to her first and second album, Born This Way (the album) is not as mainstream or catchy (bar a couple of songs). And it seems like she's not gonna pursue a dance/pop centric career, but more of a dark pop/rock (at least on the lyric side)

Fans of every pop singer claim that their pop star can sing unlike other pop singers, but I have yet to hear anything that makes her any better than the vast majority of pop singers.

When I'm talking about people being embarassed it is based on how dated what she did is. Songs like Poker Face are already very dated and it is unlikely that you would find many people who would listen to that often anymore, and it is only 4 years old. Part of this is related to the genre of music she is in (pop-dance) which has very limited lasting apeal, and a large part of this is related to the gimicks she uses to be "cutting edge" and stand out from the pop music crowds decrease the lasting appeal.

I can't say I don't agree with the bolded part, but that's the case with any pop song today.

But, I really can't find any other singer in the same genre who can dance like she does and still not being totally off-key (except probably Beyonce, but they have completely different kind of music) and she sings live in EVERY show she does (unlike the likes of Rihanna, Britney Spears, Katy Perry and even Madonna!). Now, if you can, please link me one.

EDIT: Oh and I just uploaded Poker Face on my Facebook a couple of days ago, and had a fair share of people sharing it afterwards, just sayin' :P

PlaystaionGamer said:
MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
she is very famous, she sells like no other artiest alive today. i dont think she will be as big as elvis because he is a man and people wont accept it.
However she is only 3 years into her career and has sold around 115million records, Madonna is the hishest selling female ever and has sold like 250-300mil in 30 years so Gaga is sure to be the highest selling female ever at the rate.
(im using the madonna example only in record sales, they are NOTHING alike)

Where is your source for this?

The Fame: 12million sold

The Fame Monster: 12million sold

Born This Way: 8million sold 

Singles from all 3 albums: 86 million Singles. 

these are from Interscope records and a Music tracking site who updates every year. Poker Face & Bad Romance have had 10million sold each alone, Born This Way (single) just hit 9million alone. its crazy what she sells

Did you know that the majority of rankings combine The fame + the fame monster? I cant believe those album sales you are posting, also the single sales are downloads and in this area downloads are bigger than singles sales years ago

MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
she is very famous, she sells like no other artiest alive today. i dont think she will be as big as elvis because he is a man and people wont accept it.
However she is only 3 years into her career and has sold around 115million records, Madonna is the hishest selling female ever and has sold like 250-300mil in 30 years so Gaga is sure to be the highest selling female ever at the rate.

these are from Interscope records and a Music tracking site who updates every year. Poker Face & Bad Romance have had 10million sold each alone, Born This Way (single) just hit 9million alone. its crazy what she sells

Did you know that the majority of rankings combine The fame + the fame monster? I cant believe those album sales you are posting, also the single sales are downloads and in this area downloads are bigger than singles sales years ago

your talking to someone who knows everything about her ans has folled her career for almost 5 years (way before she blew up) i know how The Fame and The fame monster are counted. 

combined they have sold: 24million. 

but there 2 DIFFERENT albums, they each sold 12million

i dont even know why im replying to you lol, you dont know anything. aha

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
adriane23 said:
Until she can wow a crowd with just herself on stage and no gimmicks for an entire show, I'm gonna go with a no on this. And she'll never be able to buy great songs like he did.

Though, why hold her to higher standards than Elvis? Elvis wasn't even a songwriter like Lady Gaga (who writes, composes, and produces), he was purely a performer.

On the original question. As far as current musicians go, she has a lot of potential - and not the major drug problems of other similar break out artists. I think she'll have greater longevity if she can keep her fingers on the culture pulse and not have some sort of explosion and slide to obscurity like Blondie, or blow her brains out like Kurt Cobain.

Elvis was a songwriter, he just never performed them because they weren't any good. Lady Gaga writes bad songs and performs them in suck a ridiculously shocking way that people overlook how stupid her lyrics are. I still think she has a good singer, and like Madonna before her, all she needs is keep people guessing on what she'll do next, and she'll be labeled a legend and do a Super Bowl half time show. A fake accent may also help.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Lady Gaga is so overrated I can't stand it.

PlaystaionGamer said:
MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

your talking to someone who knows everything about her ans has folled her career for almost 5 years (way before she blew up) i know how The Fame and The fame monster are counted. 

I asked you because of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga_discography and this http://www.mediatraffic.de/Forum3/viewtopic.php?t=2020&sid=691f821ceb94ec8536f4635eaa87baf5 and is good to see that you didnt respond to my other point so I take it true then

MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
MANUELF said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

I asked you because of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga_discography and this http://www.mediatraffic.de/Forum3/viewtopic.php?t=2020&sid=691f821ceb94ec8536f4635eaa87baf5 and is good to see that you didnt respond to my other point so I take it true then

using wiki and mediatraffic as a source.. wow.

im using Interscope numbers :) its on there twitter. i would spend the time looking for it but im not actually that bothered that you dont believe me on her record label or the OFFICIAL numbers.. 

goodbye, go listen to manafactured crap like Britney Spears or Katy Perry.

Twitter is a better source then Wiki?

Even so Lady Gaga's record sales are huge however if the next Albulm is not like the Fame Monster she is going to fade away.

To be fair, even the biggest artists cannot keep up huge sales if they outside of the mainstream and that is what Gaga did with Born This Way. It just did go mainstream as say her last Albulm or Adele 21.