By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why aren't Sony exclusives/software selling anywhere close to Xbox360?

Michael-5 said:

Who said it has? There is no indication of change, and no one is claiming that 360 won't sell more software during the holidays (except you).

i am pretty sure i did say that PS3 might pass over or be lower but the gap will be lower than last year

But I showed you that is hasn't. Where do you see evidence that it's improving?

just see the software sales gap between PS3 and 360 over the last 2-3 years

halo wars was halo related - Different game entirely

it sold on halo name and dodn't captivate audiences

tales of vesperia is on ps3 too - Never released in EMEAA or Americas, still 360 exclusive for just about anyone on this website.

PS3 also has many regionakl exclusives then and TOV became irrelavant which is why they didn't port it in other regions depedning on how low the sales would have been

PGR was always second fiddle to forza which MS recognized and shut it up - Play PGR before you say this BS. PGR was an arcade racer, Forza was Simulator, they aren't the same genre. Or are you living in 1995?

i know that

but as being relevant and being able to make fans in long term didn't happen,why do you thing MS stopped making it

too human was shit. - You never played it. Every single person who I have talked to who has actually played this game loved it.

thats the deal with you,your own expericnes and opinions are what everybody should listen too

let me tell you,you and your friends don't matter,its micro level and i have played too human

WOW..... you really need to play 360. I actually own all 3 consoles, and have played these games. Stop judging games before you play them.

oh really i too have palyed lots of 360,u bragging doesn't change anything.get to the point

What about Kinect Sports? Dance Central, Mass Effect? Just because you have personal preference, doesn't mean the rest of the world shares it with you.

mass effect isn't out,so please leav the future atm.how much will it matter we will have to see.it looks cool like kinect did at first then it became boring like Wii

dance central was good orr great your for soul so that you don't make a great deal of it

You just ignored Fable, PGR, Lost Odyssey, Dance Central, Mass Effect, and Tales of among other franchises.

get tales,pgr out of there,it doesn't come anywhere near others

and dance central,lost odessy aren't franchises

tales was a single exclusive we know where the followups went

Are you delusional? It obviously makes sense for better rated shooters to sell better. If PS3 isn't as shooter focused, why do Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Resident Evil sell well? Why is it just that Resistance and Killzone don't?

cause unlike BF,COD and RE resistance and KZ didn't have previous brand names and as PS3 fans weren't shooter focused they didn't mkae these ffranchises popular like gears on 360

It's an experience? I wonder what genre websites label it as. It's far more story focused, like Uncharted, but they are both 3PS by gameplay.

yeah as they are action adventure and stealth based games,don't cvategorise them with halo,gears,rsistance,etc

But it's not? Can't you just look at figures?

look at the gaps decreasing over years

i am sure 2 years ago 360 software was even outselling PS3 software in Q1 and Q2,why did that change

Hence I excluded them. ALL MAJOR NON SPORTS FRANCHISES, sell more software per console owner then PS3 versions.

so?

didn't i tell you we aren't debating specific title based games

what is the problem with you man?

u have a serious problem debating,please correct it.

Percentage wise, the lead is smaller, but per console owner, it is growing. Just look at the data, and do a little math, I've done enough for you.

when were we even debating per console based

why do you start your own topics,please stick to the debate on hand

Total software AND individual franchises are both showing this pattern.

shouldn't mention individual franchises as we aren't debating that

i think i have told you that enough times

Yea, but that makes sense. The PS3-360 sales gap is holding around 4 million. If both consoles sell 12 million in a given year, that gap percentage wise is smaller. However if we take the number of software sales, divide by total hardware, you will see that 360 software is higher per console owner and has been growing the last year, and longer.

don't give a damn as i wasn't talking about per console game growth

I don't want to debate with you. You bring nothing to the table, and think your right, then you tell me that I don't understand the market, when you are applying grade school type trend patterns which don't represent anything accuratly.

we aren't supposed to bring anything to the table

u really have nothing on your hand and try to pass time by just going on and on

good stop debating

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
worldlyfall said:
Mordred11 said:
This thread again?ok.

This happens mainly because there is more variety in Sony exclusives.There are loads of exlusives for pretty much every genre.Because of that,PS3's userbase rarely gives attention to one particular genre(FPS-COD),while on the 360's side it happens more often with gears of war,halo,COD games,making the console king of the FPS games.

And there's America.Games usually sale more in NA,and the 360 has a pretty huge lead over there.

Oh please the highest selling games on ps3 are COD games. 
"PS3's userbase rarely gives attention to one particular genre" LOL at your statment.

I said rarely..not never.And notice how I gave COD as an example.Please learn to read before you reply to me again..

I did see the word rarely and COD, but how can ps3 owners "rarely" give attention to FPS games like COD when the two highest selling games on ps3 are FPS and they are COD? So your statment is wrong.

All I was doing is pointing out that ps3 owners give as much attention to shooters as xbox owners. This ps3 has more variety bull needs to stop since when you compare the top ten selling games on Xbox to does on PS3, the 360 has more variety and they both have equally amount of shooters.  Maybe you should learn what your talking about and learn how to write better to get your point out more clearly than insult my ability to read.

kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
LordMatrix said:
RolStoppable said:
Mainly because Sony's lineup is built on diversity while Microsoft chooses to brainwash people with their marketing.

LOL Yeah keep telling yourself that. Microsoft`s exlusives are just more popular usually. Most Xbox exclusives have a much larger community attached to them. If you enjoy online play you likely are an Xbox gamer.  Gears, Halo & Forza are some big one`s that come to mind but when even games like Fable use online features in unique ways can you really blame users for flocking to them?

loloolol the only popular game xbox got is halo so all u saying is wrong. and really??? last time i checked no one even go on forza

The proof is here at this webiste... look at games that really matter.. the ones that really sell.. those are the top 10 games each year on each console.. the top 10 games are the ones that sell.. Top ten 360 games OWN Top ten PS3... MAny of the top 10 games on each console and multiplatform.. LIKE COD... Ilike Fanboys like you say Halo is all 360 has.. but Halo sold as many copies  as COD on PS3 ( and COD was PS3's best seller !) ..The same  COD on 360  sold millions more then COD on PS3... Anyone looking at the top 10 cant deny the numbers dont lie

im talking about exclusive, dude if you xbox fanboys dont understand then dont bother to reply the only popular exclusive is halo, see?? other xbox EXCLUSIVE dont sell as much as u xbox fanboy said

thats funny.. Gears of War is another 360 exclusive that outsold most Sony exclusives..  Does it matter that much if Sony software sales are in lastplace..

nope gt 5 outsold gear of war and mgs 5 sold pretty much the same as gear, stop being ignorance and hate to burst ur bubble ps3 has larger userbase

GT5 (6.4 million copies ) marginally outsold Gears of War 2  ( 6.1  million ), MGS 5 sold 5.2 million copies - almost a million less - and you have the nerves to say above  MGS 5 "sold pretty much the same " when it didnt,  so you didnt really burst any bubbles..  Id be more accurate in saying Gears 2 sold pretty much the same as Gt5 because they were about 300k apart - not almost a million like Gears 2 was over MGS 5' sales !

it appears Sony exclusives dont matter anymore then MS exclusives:

PS3's best selling games  #1 COD Black Ops 10.4 million, #2 COD MW2 9.2 million, PS3's #3 game Grand Theft Auto 4 only sold 8.2 million ( half a million less copies then 360's #6 game -Halo Reach - which sold 8.7 Million )

360's best selling games #1 COD Black Ops  12.8 million, #2 COD MW2 10.5 million, #3 Halo 3 - 11.3 million ( 360's #5 game Grand Theft Auto 4 sold 9.1 million ), #4 Kinect adventures sold 10.1 million - more then any Sony Exclusive..

kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
LordMatrix said:
RolStoppable said:
Mainly because Sony's lineup is built on diversity while Microsoft chooses to brainwash people with their marketing.

LOL Yeah keep telling yourself that. Microsoft`s exlusives are just more popular usually. Most Xbox exclusives have a much larger community attached to them. If you enjoy online play you likely are an Xbox gamer.  Gears, Halo & Forza are some big one`s that come to mind but when even games like Fable use online features in unique ways can you really blame users for flocking to them?

loloolol the only popular game xbox got is halo so all u saying is wrong. and really??? last time i checked no one even go on forza

The proof is here at this webiste... look at games that really matter.. the ones that really sell.. those are the top 10 games each year on each console.. the top 10 games are the ones that sell.. Top ten 360 games OWN Top ten PS3... MAny of the top 10 games on each console and multiplatform.. LIKE COD... Ilike Fanboys like you say Halo is all 360 has.. but Halo sold as many copies  as COD on PS3 ( and COD was PS3's best seller !) ..The same  COD on 360  sold millions more then COD on PS3... Anyone looking at the top 10 cant deny the numbers dont lie

im talking about exclusive, dude if you xbox fanboys dont understand then dont bother to reply the only popular exclusive is halo, see?? other xbox EXCLUSIVE dont sell as much as u xbox fanboy said

thats funny.. Gears of War is another 360 exclusive that outsold most Sony exclusives..  Does it matter that much if Sony software sales are in lastplace..

nope gt 5 outsold gear of war and mgs 5 sold pretty much the same as gear, stop being ignorance and hate to burst ur bubble ps3 has larger userbase

GT5 (6.4 million copies ) marginally outsold Gears of War 2  ( 6.1  million ), MGS 5 sold 5.2 million copies - almost a million less - and you have the nerves to say above  MGS 5 "sold pretty much the same " when it didnt,  so you didnt really burst any bubbles..  Id be more accurate in saying Gears 2 sold pretty much the same as Gt5 because they were about 300k apart - not almost a million like Gears 2 was over MGS 5' sales !

PS3's best selling games  #1 COD Black Ops 10.4 million, #2 COD MW2 9.2 million, PS3's #3 game Grand Theft Auto 4 only sold 8.2 million ( half a million less copies then 360's #6 game -Halo Reach - which sold 8.7 Million )

360's best selling games #1 COD Black Ops  12.8 million, #2 COD MW2 10.5 million, #3 Halo 3 - 11.3 million ( 360's #5 game Grand Theft Auto 4 sold 9.1 million ), #4 Kinect adventures at 10.1 million - thats more then any Sony Exclusive..

rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
LordMatrix said:
RolStoppable said:

360's best selling games #1 COD Black Ops  12.8 million, #2 COD MW2 10.5 million, #3 Halo 3 - 11.3 million ( 360's #5 game Grand Theft Auto 4 sold 9.1 million ), #4 Kinect adventures at 10.1 million - thats more then any Sony Exclusive..

really?? kinnect?? what are you 12??? and like i said you can only bring up halo as ur defend nice try but you fail

Around the Network
DirtyP2002 said:
small44 said:
Beacause it's America and beside Gear of War and Halo Xbox360 exclusives don't do mouch better then PS3 exclusive.
Look at Alan wake it's sold hardly more then 1 millions and heavy rain close to 2 million this is unexpective for many people who said Alan Wake will outsell Heavy Rain.

Boah, for some people this never gets old, right?
Yes, Alan Wake did not sell too well. 1 million is not a disaster either, but 2 million would have been better and more deserved.

What about Fable? Both titles sold 4 million  on 360.
What about Forza? Both titles sold about 4 million on 360.
What about Dance Central? 3 million is likely.
What about Kinect Sports? 4 million easily.

But you can bring up Too Human and some JRPGs if you like to.

I am tired of this " OMG! Xbox only has Halo and Gears!!!!111" stuff when the Xbox 360 has one of the biggest libraries in history. I am not saying PS3 exclusives are not selling well. But somehow Sony was not able to create an IP as big as Gears or Halo. Gran Turismo is selling well, but if you look at it without fanboy goggles, GT5 and GT PSP were some of the most disappointing titles this generation. Delay after delay and the final result was just not as brilliant as it used to be. Now the last AAA GT game is 10 years old. GT5 is still a great game though, but not a showstopper. I think Sony makes some mistakes the way they handle their IPs. Marketing is only one point. Timing for example is another.

gt 5 is bigger than gear of war, you dont evevn know what ur talking about

rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
LordMatrix said:
RolStoppable said:

we are talking about exclusive here so why are u bring up gta 4 and cod????  it seen like u got no exclusive left thats why. and ur a casual gamer if you bring up kinect, and i can said gt 5 outsold most xbox games except halo, which is the only popular exclusive you can bring on

snakenobi said:

Michael-5 said:

Who said it has? There is no indication of change, and no one is claiming that 360 won't sell more software during the holidays (except you).

i am pretty sure i did say that PS3 might pass over or be lower but the gap will be lower than last year

But I showed you that is hasn't. Where do you see evidence that it's improving?

just see the software sales gap between PS3 and 360 over the last 2-3 years

halo wars was halo related - Different game entirely

it sold on halo name and dodn't captivate audiences

tales of vesperia is on ps3 too - Never released in EMEAA or Americas, still 360 exclusive for just about anyone on this website.

PS3 also has many regionakl exclusives then and TOV became irrelavant which is why they didn't port it in other regions depedning on how low the sales would have been

PGR was always second fiddle to forza which MS recognized and shut it up - Play PGR before you say this BS. PGR was an arcade racer, Forza was Simulator, they aren't the same genre. Or are you living in 1995?

i know that

but as being relevant and being able to make fans in long term didn't happen,why do you thing MS stopped making it

too human was shit. - You never played it. Every single person who I have talked to who has actually played this game loved it.

thats the deal with you,your own expericnes and opinions are what everybody should listen too

let me tell you,you and your friends don't matter,its micro level and i have played too human

WOW..... you really need to play 360. I actually own all 3 consoles, and have played these games. Stop judging games before you play them.

oh really i too have palyed lots of 360,u bragging doesn't change anything.get to the point

What about Kinect Sports? Dance Central, Mass Effect? Just because you have personal preference, doesn't mean the rest of the world shares it with you.

mass effect isn't out,so please leav the future atm.how much will it matter we will have to see.it looks cool like kinect did at first then it became boring like Wii

dance central was good orr great your for soul so that you don't make a great deal of it

You just ignored Fable, PGR, Lost Odyssey, Dance Central, Mass Effect, and Tales of among other franchises.

get tales,pgr out of there,it doesn't come anywhere near others

and dance central,lost odessy aren't franchises

tales was a single exclusive we know where the followups went

Are you delusional? It obviously makes sense for better rated shooters to sell better. If PS3 isn't as shooter focused, why do Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Resident Evil sell well? Why is it just that Resistance and Killzone don't?

cause unlike BF,COD and RE resistance and KZ didn't have previous brand names and as PS3 fans weren't shooter focused they didn't mkae these ffranchises popular like gears on 360

It's an experience? I wonder what genre websites label it as. It's far more story focused, like Uncharted, but they are both 3PS by gameplay.

yeah as they are action adventure and stealth based games,don't cvategorise them with halo,gears,rsistance,etc

But it's not? Can't you just look at figures?

look at the gaps decreasing over years

i am sure 2 years ago 360 software was even outselling PS3 software in Q1 and Q2,why did that change

Hence I excluded them. ALL MAJOR NON SPORTS FRANCHISES, sell more software per console owner then PS3 versions.

so?

didn't i tell you we aren't debating specific title based games

what is the problem with you man?

u have a serious problem debating,please correct it.

Percentage wise, the lead is smaller, but per console owner, it is growing. Just look at the data, and do a little math, I've done enough for you.

when were we even debating per console based

why do you start your own topics,please stick to the debate on hand

Total software AND individual franchises are both showing this pattern.

shouldn't mention individual franchises as we aren't debating that

i think i have told you that enough times

Yea, but that makes sense. The PS3-360 sales gap is holding around 4 million. If both consoles sell 12 million in a given year, that gap percentage wise is smaller. However if we take the number of software sales, divide by total hardware, you will see that 360 software is higher per console owner and has been growing the last year, and longer.

don't give a damn as i wasn't talking about per console game growth

I don't want to debate with you. You bring nothing to the table, and think your right, then you tell me that I don't understand the market, when you are applying grade school type trend patterns which don't represent anything accuratly.

we aren't supposed to bring anything to the table

u really have nothing on your hand and try to pass time by just going on and on

good stop debating

what are you guy arguing about lol, since he goes off topic too much i dont even know what going on anymore

Doobie_wop said:
This thread is a perfect example as to why I've started posting less and less on these boards, so many immature posters, it's like commenting on a Rebecca Black Youtube video.

On Topic: I had a similar discussion with Kowenicki a while back, I came up with a lot of numbers and did a fair amount of research and I came up with an easy and fairly obvious answer. When the PS3 gets 20 or more extra exclusives in a year compared to it's competitors, then it's only obvious that the user-base will be stretched thin and it means that chunks will have to be taken out of a few multi-platform games that are released along side those exclusives. Every gaming consumer has a limited budget and this years releases have put considerable amount of strain on the PS3 userbase.

Just as an example, I've bought Little Big Planet 2, Infamous 2, Yakuza 4, Trinity: Souls of Zill Ol, Ar Tonelico Qoga and then on top of all that I've got older releases and a whole bunch of multi-platform titles. I've pretty much already hit my limit for the year and outside of Uncharted 3, Skyrim and maybe Deus Ex, I doubt I'll be picking up other new titles until Christmas or early next year. Had I been a 360 only owner, then my choice of games would be lower, I'd have a lot more money for multi-platform games and I'd have more money reserved for games coming out later in the year.

Add on the fact that the 360 has a stronger userbase in the US and it all seems pretty obvious.

I'd also like to add that anyone who's arguing that the 360 has had anywhere near the amount of diverse exclusive releases in the last few years compared to the PS3 is kidding themselves. This year alone has proven that if you want diversity, then you play on the PS3, otherwise your playing multi-platform games or your waiting for the next Halo or Gears release.

Great Post. I think the bolded line shows how smart Microsoft has been this generation. They focus on a few key 1st party titles each year that have assured sales and give the 3rd parties a better chance to succeed on their platform. Sony's strategy to focus on 1st and 2nd party development gives them a larger number of exclusives, however they tend to cannabalize each others' sales. Microsoft's strategy probably won't work as well next generation if they don't start creating more new IPs, but for now I think they really figured out how to work software releases this console cycle. I applaud Sony for being aggressive in their studio acquistions yet I feel they need to learn how to spread their software releases a little better. They seem to be too focused on fulfilling the promise of "The Year of the Playstation" rather than getting each Sony published game as much love as possible.

kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
rf40928 said:
kickazz113 said:
LordMatrix said:
RolStoppable said:

really?? kinnect?? what are you 12??? and like i said you can only bring up halo as ur defend nice try but you fail

The point is even a Kinect game outsells the best selling Sony Exclusive.. hilarious.. And you had no defense at all to what LIES you posted above that MGS 5 was selling the same as Gears 2.. and that Gears 2 was actually much closer to GT5 sales then what you claimed that - Gears was to MSG5 sales, when its not... I figure people like you post things without even thinking the smart people actually look at the numbers here at VGchartz.. well you guess wrong.. you can't post numbers and lie when its obvious and easy to see those numbers here at this website..

Lastly, whether you want Halo in the conversaton or not IT OWNS any precious Sony Exclusive.. The reason FANBOYS like you hate the mention of it and scoff at it is simple.. Sony has no answer to Halo..

The sad part is Sony doesnt see or care that kids would rather play a good FPS then the quite ancient Exclusives they've had around since PS2 or even PS1 18 yrs ago.. Sony fanboys like you hate the mention of Halo saying "its all they got" .. when 360 exclusives sell as well or better then PS3 exclusives.. and 360 games in general outsell PS3 games by a big margin... which to me says Sony has a problem with a userbase so close it just shouldnt be.. Sony needs to look at game development and start making some good FPS's that will be a COD or a Halo.. because GT6 isnt going to cut it..    Even 50 yrs ago kids wanted to play with toy guns usually as the 1st option.. in video games this hasnt changed.. Why does Sony think kids would rather be race car drivers then soldiers ?   Gaming has shifted more to the west then 15- 20 yrs ago.. Sony needs to know they cant win the video game war without North America and they wont do it with racing games or Metal Gear Solid..