By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Any word on the 3DS cut effect on initial sales?

I know it's very early, but often there are anecdotal or retailer stories about sales performance, or just pictures of long lines and such.  Is there any word on the 3DS, or is it too early?  The rush to buy may have been tempered by the fact that stores made the cut early.

Around the Network

Tesco started selling 3DS for £115 and it got sold out in a few hours

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Here in Houston(tx) ive been to 3 Walmarts and all are out(they did the price cut early). I also stopped into a Gamestop the day before the drop and they said they are expecting to sell out based off the "200 calls" they received that day.

Well most people on here know I'm a DM for Gamestop.

And we are seeing absolutley massive increases in sales as a retailer. I'm actually pretty shocked I thought the price cut would be a mild boost but instead its seen a huge increase. It also helps we have several promotions going on right for the 3DS besides the price cut which are helping drive sales.

There aren't any at the local Food Lion!

Around the Network

What matters is if this lasts though. If it does, then price really was the big obstacle. If sales are down to the lows in about a month or so, then the price was just a stopgap.

Again, it's a wait and see. I just say it's too soon to see if the price drop truly helped (again, it might).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Nintendo has a goal to outsell Nintendo DS I think the price was the issue if we see this,this and more titles

LordTheNightKnight said:
What matters is if this lasts though. If it does, then price really was the big obstacle. If sales are down to the lows in about a month or so, then the price was just a stopgap.

Again, it's a wait and see. I just say it's too soon to see if the price drop truly helped (again, it might).

The truth is probably halfway between those two points. Likely the price-cut sees the group of people who just want to buy a Nintendo handheld even without games, but who were put off by the price even still, making the initial run in this case.

I mean, the 3DS still lacks a killer app, so it would defy all logic if this cut were ultimately sustainable all on its own, though the boost from the cut might segue into the more natural sales coming from the 3DS' upcoming heavy hitters

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I showed a customer at work the 3DS and she thought it was great. She also told me that her kids wanted it but the problem was that it was too expensive. I told her the new price and it seems that she will plan on getting it for them. I really believe that the price was a big barrier. Now that the price is down i think sales will explode.

I'm tempted to cash in our DS Lite for a $99 3DS this weekend.