By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Wii U Patents Revealed

It seems that the Wii U will look exactly the same as a Wii?

And it also has magnetic sensor? Is it something that attracts magnets or something...
EDIT: it could be the method in which the Wii U controller keeps itself calibrated by using the Earth's magnetic field like some of you said.
PS Vita, PS Move and the iPhone have them too.

The Wii U will also have Internal Memory, Flash Memory and a CPU. Maybe it can be used without the console on, or maybe to save your Mii's.
What do you think about it?

They also filled a patent for the idea of a "Massively Single-Playing Online Game."
According to the patent application, "Those who want to play games that are more dynamic, not-based on Al and not-pre-scripted like multiplayer games, however, don't want to 'deal' with other people, appreciate the privacy it provides."

Maybe a new Animal Crossing game for Wii U?

Around the Network

The first figure is new to me, but I would assume that this means Wii games (not only Wii U) can be played on the controller screen. And maybe, also the VC/WiiWare games.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

The Wii is likely just there to represent "The Console".

4 ≈ One

""Massively Single-Playing Online Game." - hmm... interesting concept. I guess it's basically a game a la WoW, just without involvement with other live players. What's the point, you may ask? Well ,a developer can create huge worlds, and keep adding new content to the game world... All those complaining about way too short single player campaigns could get what they want. Not sure if such a concept can actually be granted a patent though (?)

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Dgc1808 said:

I am pretty sure you are correct.  Nintendo wouldn't release a home console that looks exactly like it's predecessor.  Especially, after the entire DS/3DS crap that some people say that consumers don't realize it is a new generation.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Dgc1808 said:

I am pretty sure you are correct.  Nintendo wouldn't release a home console that looks exactly like it's predecessor.  Especially, after the entire DS/3DS crap that some people say that consumers don't realize it is a new generation.

It makes sense.

TheDarkBender said:

And it also has magnetic sensor? Is it something that attracts magnets or something...

The Wii U will also have Internal Memory, Flash Memory and a CPU. Maybe it can be used without the console on, or maybe to save your Mii's.
What do you think about it?

The magnetic sensor can be a digital compass. 

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

cool

Just a few thoughts ...

From the way Nintendo has mentioned that the Wii U controller receives its content from the system, I suspect that the CPU mentioned in the diagram is probably some form of DSP and is primarily for decoding the compressed video stream.

Beyond that, the two things that I don't fully understand are the magnetic sensor and the marker section. The reason for this is I'm not really sure what a "marker section" is, and (while they're inexpensive and have a wide range of uses) I haven't got a clue what the videogame use of a magnetic sensor would be; while it is possible that its primary use will be to detect magnetic north I find it difficult to believe that would be its only use.

USPTO drawings are never drawn in reference to the actual object. Only requiring a reference device to be shown. Being a video game console, it is common to display a console already on the market as the reference device.

The magnetic sensor is just a magnetometer to help with directional orientation. PS Move uses one.

The CPU is indeed just a DSP.

The rEVOLution is not being televised