By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii will be able to download complete DS games

sounds very cool!!

wii can store the games for sure....but what about the ds??

mayby there will be a save card just like the ds "mp3 player" which like a ds game......or something else... :P

at least nintendo seems to be improving their online by much in 2008, with more onlin games and demo downloads......

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Around the Network

I Wish I had a ds now

GB/GBC game downloads from the Virtual Console would be sweet.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

I have a theory on the whole "FULL GAME" downloads thing.

I believe the games will be permanently stored on the Wii. The content will then be transferred to the DS when appropriate. So this could mean having to be in wireless range of your Wii in order to play the full DS games.

However, now that I think about it, that would ruin the idea of a portable game machine, and obviously having to keep your DS switched on to play a full game is counterproductive, leading me to the conclusion that these games HAVE to be stored on blank cartridges (or some newly introduced storage medium to be separately purchased).

End of speculation.

mr-money said:
I have a theory on the whole "FULL GAME" downloads thing.

I believe the games will be permanently stored on the Wii. The content will then be transferred to the DS when appropriate. So this could mean having to be in wireless range of your Wii in order to play the full DS games.

However, now that I think about it, that would ruin the idea of a portable game machine, and obviously having to keep your DS switched on to play a full game is counterproductive, leading me to the conclusion that these games HAVE to be stored on blank cartridges (or some newly introduced storage medium to be separately purchased).

End of speculation.

Possible, except that turning the DS off would lose SAVE data. So its unlikely. And using the DS internal memory only severely restricts possible games.

And like you say, having to play NEAR a Wii sort of ruins the portable experience,

Lets face it - the DS is slowly becoming "old", and might only have two-three years in it (before the DS II hits). This service is a great way to extend the life of the device, FORCE people to buy Wiis. It also massively increases Nintendos potential profit for released games (guessing dual download + retail for now) - once you take out all manufacturing / retail / shipping costs - profit could DOUBLE.

It also introduces people to the concept before the DS II hits - which will definitely have a built-in service like this (or just support memory cards off the shelf - that would rock :>).

Another minor point: my partner BOUGHT me a R4 for Xmas. I didn't know it was coming - and was slightly shocked when it arrived. Her reasoning was "it would save me money on games" - and didn't understand when I refused to use it for any form of piracy. It also plays movies & music - which is cool - although watching Pirates 3 on a *tiny* screen holds NO appeal for me whatsoever.

I told her, she can use it... :)

(it came with a 2gig sd-card, which was preloaded with about 50 games - talk about scumbagish!). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Your talking about the DS becomming old, and I dont see it at all. If it were becomming old, sales would be declining, they are doing this to add value and further bury the supposed competition. If sales decline they may need to do more, but the DS is going bonkers all over the planet.

Troll_Monster said:
Game_boy said:
Troll_Monster said:
I've been doing this for a while now, about time Nintendo caught up.

Well, the act isn't illegal but the data itself is, right?

I think it will be illegal to sell it, as for it being illegal when it's free I don't know, as far as the adapter goes that does cost money but of course they do have a discailmer that what the end user does with it is not their responsibility.

...most pirated games are free smart guy. If you're paying for a pirated game you're even dumber than I thought you were. Anyways, I imagine pretty close to the same way multiplayer games on the DS without cartridges work.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
So in other words the excuse that the PSP's software sales are suffering because of piracy is bunk.

This has been discussed multiple times. The answer is that the PSP is definitely a better overall media player, and that it might be cheaper to pirate, depending on how you do it. The DS requires hardware which may or may not be expensive and/or hard to find, but which is relatively cheap and easy to find in, e.g., Europe (don't really know about the States or Japan). So, yeah, IMO the piracy excuse is pretty bunk.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Couldn't this be related to WiiWare games? Think about it. If you have no space left on the Wii to play or a WiiWare game designed to be played with touchscreen capabilities, wouldn't it be logical for it to be on the DS instead? I do think that with an adaptor Nintendo may be making, there might be some option for you to manually erase your downloaded game if you want something else to be on it. Nintendo may also make their own memory cards for this adaptor, so games may not be pirated.

I have a feeling this may be on a new model DS with internal storage of some kind, possibly remove the GBA slot but offer these and other platform games via Wii VC - until then we'll probably have to settle for the Ds demo service.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony