Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rank this game--Wii Play!!

Tagged games:

How much do you Play?

I Play ALL the time! 3 11.54%
 
I let others Play for me. 0 0.00%
 
Wii Play together! 4 15.38%
 
I refuse to Play! 10 38.46%
 
What is this?!? I don't even.... 6 23.08%
 
See results you boring person. 3 11.54%
 
Total:26
RolStoppable said:
Machina said:

1.0

The 1 is for tanks, which was pretty cool, though playing all the other atrocious games to get there was not.

Half of the games are boring
All but one of the games is truly boring. Half are broken concepts from the get-go that I cannot believe were ever green lit (Find Mii, Pose Mii, Fishing). Those that have sound concepts either have broken controls (Billiards, Table Tennis(!!!), Laser Hockey), or are so dull and basic as to not be worth playing anyway (Shooting Range, Charge).

Tanks is the last game you unlock, so in order to get to the only game which is worth playing you have to complete all of the others. Billiards and Table Tennis are so broken that we just rushed to get them over with as soon as we possibly could (easier said than done in the case of Billiards, alas), and I didn't revisist any of the other games... ever.

I've not really done a very good job of articulating what an awful waste of space this game is, but my vote is deadly serious; it's a compilation of crappy, awful, barely playable games. Even though at the time it was the only way to get my hands on an extra Wiimote, I still regret buying it, and I hate myself for adding to those enormous sales figures because it doesn't deserve a single one of them.

This sounds like your Wiimote was broken or you just didn't understand how the controls had to be executed. Laser Hockey in particular offers plenty of options, because there are many different ways to hit the ball with your paddle. The Shooting Range has a combo system, so there's quite some room to improve your score.

Now finding the game boring I can understand, but calling it barely playable seems to be a problem of the player, not the game.


Not at all. We got Wii Play along with the Wii Sports Wii  bundle at the same time, and Wii Sports worked like a charm. The whole family played it at the time and I can categorically say that whilst everyone grasped the controls in all of the games in Wii Sports with ease (and had fun), everyone found the games I complained about in Wii Play all but unplayable control-wise. If it's a problem we all experienced, and attributable to one game but not the other, then I stand by the fault lying at the door of the game not the player(s).

If the suggestion is those games take a while to learn how to control then I accept that's a possibility, since I didn't return to any of them except for Tanks, but there's still a problem with the game there because: 1) said game was marketed at the expanded audience, so should have been accessible at the very least, 2) none of us had any desire to return to any of the games besides Tanks; my critcism is not limited to controls, poor controls were just a part of the unenjoyable experience.



Around the Network
Machina said:

Not at all. We got Wii Play along with the Wii Sports Wii  bundle at the same time, and Wii Sports worked like a charm. The whole family played it at the time and I can categorically say that whilst everyone grasped the controls in all of the games in Wii Sports with ease (and had fun), everyone found the games I complained about in Wii Play all but unplayable control-wise. If it's a problem we all experienced, and attributable to one game but not the other, then I stand by the fault lying at the door of the game not the player(s).

If the suggestion is those games take a while to learn how to control then I accept that's a possibility, since I didn't return to any of them except for Tanks, but there's still a problem with the game there because: 1) said game was marketed at the expanded audience, so should have been accessible at the very least, 2) none of us had any desire to return to any of the games besides Tanks; my critcism is not limited to controls, poor controls were just a part of the unenjoyable experience.

There's a fundamental difference between Wii Sports and Wii Play and that is that one game uses motion sensing while the other relies on the pointer functionality for the most part. If you had set up the sensor bar improperly (or the players were sitting/standing in inadequate positions), you could still play Wii Sports flawlessly (only navigating menus with the pointer could feel awkward), but Wii Play would fall apart in most areas with your cursor or equivalent jittering all over the place.

Now what doesn't fit quite in here is that Tanks apparently didn't pose any problems despite using the pointer for aiming. Another thing to watch out for is sunlight, so if you are playing during the day and have a window next to or near the TV the infrared sunlight can influence the quality of the controls negatively.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

I'll give it a 7/10 based on the 10 dollar value (minus the remote). The tank game is fun and most of the other games are semi fun. I got it as a gift mainly for another controller. I have barely played it and probably will try to give it more play time. Perhaps, I'll try to get my roommate to play it. I might have turned her off from gaming due to my semi frustration with her while playing Wii Party. It took her more than 2-3 practice times to get how to play the mini games in Wii Party sometimes. However, she would beat me here and there after she finally got it.



Carl2291 said:
10.

Free bundled games ftw!


...it wasn't free.

 

5 - It's hard to complain about a games that only costs $10 but as far as i'm concerned it wasn't actually a game.  it was training wheels to "learn" the wii mote.  tanks was the only game that held me attention for any reasonable amount of time (by which i mean i put an hour into it).  i completely regret the purchase and often recommended to my new wii owner friends to skip it.



kitler53 said:

...it wasn't free. 

5 - It's hard to complain about a games that only costs $10 but as far as i'm concerned it wasn't actually a game.  it was training wheels to "learn" the wii mote.  tanks was the only game that held me attention for any reasonable amount of time (by which i mean i put an hour into it).  i completely regret the purchase and often recommended to my new wii owner friends to skip it.


Ours was!



                            

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Carl2291 said:
10.

Free bundled games ftw!


...it wasn't free.

 

5 - It's hard to complain about a games that only costs $10 but as far as i'm concerned it wasn't actually a game.  it was training wheels to "learn" the wii mote.  tanks was the only game that held me attention for any reasonable amount of time (by which i mean i put an hour into it).  i completely regret the purchase and often recommended to my new wii owner friends to skip it.

You need to add 0.1 points to your score, otherwise it won't count.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
I have played this game, so I will rate it. I am a little bit upset though, because I suggested Wii Party for this thread.

The game does its job. Nothing more, nothing less. You get a range of small games that make it easy to get other people started on gaming and give them a good idea on how the Wiimote works. This compilation includes newer and more advanced versions of Pong, Duck Hunt and Combat which were very popular games back in the day. Most of the minigames offer enough depth to motivate you to aim for higher scores and earn platinum medals (which isn't easy). For $/€10 extra you get a nice package with your Wiimote purchase.

Anyway, 7.0/10. Does nothing wrong, but also doesn't do anything amazing. Just a solid purchase. Nowadays you would be better off by getting Wii Play Motion or especially Wii Party though.

xD whoops I guess I got the name mixed up >_<



RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:
Carl2291 said:
10.

Free bundled games ftw!


...it wasn't free.

 

5 - It's hard to complain about a games that only costs $10 but as far as i'm concerned it wasn't actually a game.  it was training wheels to "learn" the wii mote.  tanks was the only game that held me attention for any reasonable amount of time (by which i mean i put an hour into it).  i completely regret the purchase and often recommended to my new wii owner friends to skip it.

You need to add 0.1 points to your score, otherwise it won't count.

Lol it doesn't work that way.



d21lewis said:
trasharmdsister12 said:
d21 and Rol are making game ranking discussion popular again... either that or it has gone so far out of fashion that only these two still do it.


This post just reminded me of the vow I made a long time ago to never participate in these threads!!  Oh well.

I see my new thread title fooled you! >:D



yo_john117 said:
RolStoppable said:

You need to add 0.1 points to your score, otherwise it won't count.

Lol it doesn't work that way.

This is your ranking game and now you are telling me that you don't even understand your own rules?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club