By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First Xenoblade Chronicles review is in, 91/100

nice score cant wait to obtain this game.

Around the Network
Boutros said:
Isn't it more like Monster Hunter than Final Fantasy?

Neither. It's more like Secret of Mana with 3D gameplay.

Chrizum said:
Boutros said:

So it's not really a JRPG? Because I hardly consider Secret of Mana a JRPG. Secret of Mana is kind of like Zelda which I consider more like Action or Adventure.

Boutros said:
Chrizum said:
Boutros said:

So it's not really a JRPG? Because I hardly consider Secret of Mana a JRPG. Secret of Mana is kind of like Zelda which I consider more like Action or Adventure.

If you consider turn-based combat to be an absolute requirement to be called a JRPG, then no, it's not a JRPG. Since that isn't a requirement at all, it's definitely a JRPG (just like Secret of Mana obviously was): it's story-driven, party-based, you level up your character, the game has character progression, there's a huge fantasy world filled with towns, fields and dungeons, there are lots of items, weapons and equipment to obtain, etc.

I will buy the issue tomorrow. The only gaming magazine I still read.

Xenoblade review, Pandora's Tower/Skyward Sword/Kirby previews, From Dust review, Journey preview. I'm also interested to find out what they thought about Bastion. Looks like a very interesting issue.

Don't trust people with Kim Possible avatars and the upcoming Phineas & Ferb game on their wishlist though. This magazine already handed out two scores of above 90 in the last two issues before the current one. 3 in 3 months ain't exactly "barely anything".

Around the Network

If rol likes the game, it must be in 2D.

Therefore, I am not interested.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

RolStoppable said:
okr said:
I will buy the issue tomorrow. The only gaming magazine I still read.

Xenoblade review, Pandora's Tower/Skyward Sword/Kirby previews, From Dust review, Journey preview. I'm also interested to find out what they thought about Bastion. Looks like a very interesting issue.

Don't trust people with Kim Possible avatars and the upcoming Phineas & Ferb game on their wishlist though. This magazine already handed out two scores of above 90 in the last two issues before the current one. 3 in 3 months ain't exactly "barely anything".

Meh, Super Street Fighter IV AE and The Legend of Zelda: Oot 3D. Can't really blame them for giving out great scores to the top dogs in their respective genre.

Bastion got a 7.

Ha, that's why I love this magazine. They are some of the best reviewers out there in my opinion. Always unbiased and never influenced by hype. Bastion is a good game and I enjoyed playing it but I don't understand why it got an average worldwide score of 88 (actually it's not even the scores themselves that bother me but the ridiculous praise it got from many reviewers for being innovative, while in fact it's not innovative in the slightest, just a well done action RPG like dozens of others before). Must be the Summer of Arcade bonus. Sorry, I won't derail the thread further.

Exciting! Now NOA needs to bring it to the US, since we only get NTSC Wii here.

Danke for sharing, Rol.

Can't wait. Nintendo of America is dumb for not releasing this. I hope Reggie's salary got nailed by a pick up truck!

RolStoppable said:

I have nothing against the thread being derailed and I am the original poster, so no need to apologize. Besides, the integrity of this magazine is part of the topic anyway, so it's not even derailment in the first place.

But personally I do think that they are influenced by hype every now and then, although by far not as often as everyone else. For example, their Cave Story review. They tend to be more generous if some personality had been working on a game. No way is that a game worth a 10, even an 8 would be pushing it (I would give it a 6, btw).

And at other times they surrender to international gaming journalism. I think I've mentioned this to you before, they put Shadow of the Colossus among the milestones of the past decade which doesn't really line up with their review of the game. They weren't overly impressed and gave it a score of 77, I think. This just screams revisionism. But anyway, they are still the best magazine there is.

Yes, I remember this, but in their milestone article they said about SotC that "despite its broken controls and empty world this title is a milestone because the bosses are levels and the game evokes feelings like grief, empathy and despair". Not complete revisionism, but revisionism still, I agree. It looks to me as if the guy who wrote this part of the artcle tried to justify at the same time their original score and their changed opinion. Of course I'm aware I was exaggerating a bit there with my statement about them being always unbiased and not falling for hypes. Everyone is biased and falling for hypes sometimes.

There's one thing I actually even strongly dislike about M!Games:
They don't have the guts to put the games they recently liked or currently like the most on their cover. Even though they love Wii and DS (just like all other systems), for some reason they rarely put a game from a Nintendo system on their cover. It's mostly HD console action games, boring and predictable covers like all other gaming magazines these days. The Xenoblade picture on the first page of their review would have made a great cover picture but they didn't even put it on their alternative subscription cover. Another one of many missed chances.

The recently discontinued printed GEE (they unfortunately switched from print to app store) was the only German gaming magazine that had the same quaility level of articles as MANI!AC/M!Games and they actually put not only Nintendo system games on some of their covers but at least once even a handheld game on alternative covers.

Meanwhile I found out that M!Games also reviewed Solatorobo and rated it 85. Indeed a very interesting issue for me.