By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greatest Industry Icon Tournament: Kevin Butler Vs. Hironobu Sakaguchi

who cars about Kevin Butler?..... I DONT

Around the Network

Yu Suzuki got matched up against Miyamoto............ WOW, talk about a tough break. (i would have given him half a chance against anyone other than Nintendos godfather)

I expected Master Suzuki to at LEAST reach the last 16 or quarters.

Booooooooooo random matchmaker thingamajig for pitting those two icons together so soon.

Kevin Butler's cool, but Sakaguchi all the way!

brendude13 said:
Sakaguchi is hardly an icon.

I am a Final Fantasy fan and this is the first time I have seen his face, I haven't really seen his name that much in the credits either.

It's only in the beginning scene for most of them, of course you haven't seen his name!

Xen said:
brendude13 said:

I am a Final Fantasy fan and this is the first time I have seen his face, I haven't really seen his name that much in the credits either.

It's only in the beginning scene for most of them, of course you haven't seen his name!

Still, he's not quite an icon xD.

Probably about 8/10 Americans have seen Kevin Butler's face.

About 1/10,000 Americans have seen Sakaguchi's face.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
Xen said:
brendude13 said:

And yet, most Americans outside the internet communities don't care for the game industry, where Sakaguchi wins.

He's no Yu Suzuki, Miyamoto, Kutaragi, or Gunpei Yokoi, but he's far closer to them than KB will ever be.

Xen said:
brendude13 said:
Xen said:
brendude13 said:

And yet, most Americans outside the internet communities don't care for the game industry, where Sakaguchi wins.

He's no Yu Suzuki, Miyamoto, Kutaragi, or Gunpei Yokoi, but he's far closer to them than KB will ever be.

I know they don't care for the gaming industry.

Lets not use "Americans" as an example, let's use "Gamers".

About 1/2 of hardcore gamers (worldwide) have seen Kevin Butler's face.

About 1/20 of hardcore gamers (worldwide) have seen Sakaguchi's face.

I'm a hardcore gamer and a Final Fantasy fan, and I haven't barely heard of him or even seen his face.

Sakaguchi has been one of my favorite developers since childhood, and even now my opinion didn't change , he's the father of FF , and without him, its just crappy spin offs and sequels that has it's namesake.

KB is just a marketing mascot, never did anything to gaming at all, so my answer is quite obvious.

brendude13 said:
Xen said:
brendude13 said:
Xen said:
brendude13 said:

I'm a hardcore gamer and a Final Fantasy fan, and I haven't barely heard of him or even seen his face.

Dude, so what if they haven't seen his face? The fact that KB headlines Sony in commercials for the last couple of years means nothing aside from the fact that he's simply fun. Once the campaign ends, he will only be reposted on the futurenet (lol) in like 15 years or so as "look what funny commercials Sony had!"

His imprint on GAMES is moot, none. How many people saw Miyamoto's face? Clearly less than the people that saw KB, but would you even dare argue on who is the bigger icon among the two?

It's not about publicity - among real gamers, it's the people that made an imprint on how their games look and play that rule. If they fail to acknowledge Sakaguchi (who is talked about on the internet endlessly), then it's one point off them... that's a man that has influenced RPG's very very vastly. Among gamers, and in this thread, you can clearly see who wins. Gamers that see commercials and play the latest Sony games are not people I'd call hardcore anything.

Xen said:
brendude13 said:
Xen said:
brendude13 said:
Xen said:
brendude13 said:

Dude, so what if they haven't seen his face? The fact that KB headlines Sony in commercials for the last couple of years means nothing aside from the fact that he's simply fun. Once the campaign ends, he will only be reposted on the futurenet (lol) in like 15 years or so as "look what funny commercials Sony had!"

His imprint on GAMES is moot, none. How many people saw Miyamoto's face? Clearly less than the people that saw KB, but would you even dare argue on who is the bigger icon among the two?

It's not about publicity - among real gamers, it's the people that made an imprint on how their games look and play that rule. If they fail to acknowledge Sakaguchi (who is talked about on the internet endlessly), then it's one point off them... that's a man that has influenced RPG's very very vastly. Among gamers, and in this thread, you can clearly see who wins. Gamers that see commercials and play the latest Sony games are not people I'd call hardcore anything.

Being an icon has nothing to do with your impact on games.

i·con/ˈīkän/Noun

1. A painting of Christ or another holy figure, used as an aid to devotion in the Byzantine and other Eastern Churches.
2. A person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something: "icon of manhood".