By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS sales are now almost double PSP, Wii double PS3

Lingyis said:

Wii: "all about games"

PS3: "does anything you can imagine"

Is it a bad thing that a console is all about games and not being a low end computer? I don't know about you but I already have a computer and I don't need another one. All I need is a gaming console that's fun a.k.a. Wii.

Around the Network

Another similarity between DS vs. PSP and Wii vs. PS3 is that in both cases the Sony systems are oddly not moving games.  I would say it's because people are using the PSP for UMD movies and PS3 for Blu-ray but neither of those formats are selling terribly well.  What are people doing with the PSP's and PS3's they're buying anyways?  I can't imagine too many people think struggling to get linux to do whatever it does on the PS3 worth the effort, nor do I find running up my electric bill to help so researchers get grant money a reason to shell out $600.  Whatever people are doing with them, they aren't buying as many games which is what they are supposed to be for. 

At any rate, I think the difference between the DS' slower start and the PSP's stronger start compared to their console bretheren was that the price difference wasn't as great, the DS felt rushed (which it was), new way to play games wasn't established as a successful strategy yet, and Sony still had its fawning media coverage that duly called the race for the PSP before either system launched.  The Wii on the other hand benefited from a far greater price difference in its favor, had the time to build a massive groundswell of interest with its E3 06 showing (although the games still feel a bit rushed, they're still nothing like the rank tech demos that were sold as games for the DS' first 6 months), launched with 2 mega games, after the DS most were interested in how a new way to play games would translate to consoles, and lastly Sony did an expert job of demolishing the 10 years of slavish media coverage it had enjoyed prior to the PS3.

lolita said:
Lingyis said:

Wii: "all about games"

PS3: "does anything you can imagine"

Is it a bad thing that a console is all about games and not being a low end computer? I don't know about you but I already have a computer and I don't need another one. All I need is a gaming console that's fun a.k.a. Wii.

arghh... taking things completely out of context.  i was paraphrasing the guy i was responding to!

the Wii is an epidemic.

shams said:
Kwaad said:

The PS3 can also run Windows XP.

And as I am setting the beast up for, running ripped videos. (I hate haveing to use discs)

Linux is the BOMB.

Only thing that needs to be done is break the hyper-visor off. However the more I'm learning about that bitch... the more it seems like you will need a hack the system software then do it from linux. (or mod chip)

I have a PC (actually 3) already, and I wouldn't buy a PS3 just to run Linux (or Windows).

This is the problem I have with the PS3... people buy it, then look for something to do with it. I bought my Wii to play games - not to own one, then hope something comes out for it (to justify its purpose). The VC alone made it worth a purchase.

I got a PS3 for games.  So far:  Resistance, RR7, Elder Scrolls, and Motorstorm as far as blu-ray games.  I'll be stuck on Elder Scrolls for awhile.  I just bought blast factor because of reviews and I'm pretty happy with it.  Cash, Guns, Chaos sucked a lot.  flOw was a nice experience and is fun for casuals to play (ie my girlfriend), and it's 4 player.  Today is Calling all Cars and the update allowing PS3 users to play PS1 games (probably a few today I would guess) and transfer game saves from PS3 to PSP.  That's awesome, because I can now play PS1 games on the road then at home on the big screen.

That said, considering I would have gotten the PS3 without Linux, isn't it nice to be able to run Linux?  Isn't it nice that that 360 streams media from the computer as well?  To me, that's nice.  Blu-ray is nice as well.  Just because people are taking advantage of these extra features does not mean they just got the system and then looked for something to do.  Maybe that's the case with some people, but luckily there is quite a lot to do already.  PSN alone is worth the purchase because of PS1 game saves that I can move to the PSP now, and all the unique games and demos (blast factor demo convinced me to buy it...I'd like a Tekken demo but I'll try it on my PSP with that version).

windbane said:
shams said:
Kwaad said:

The PS3 can also run Windows XP.

And as I am setting the beast up for, running ripped videos. (I hate haveing to use discs)

Linux is the BOMB.

Only thing that needs to be done is break the hyper-visor off. However the more I'm learning about that bitch... the more it seems like you will need a hack the system software then do it from linux. (or mod chip)

I have a PC (actually 3) already, and I wouldn't buy a PS3 just to run Linux (or Windows).

This is the problem I have with the PS3... people buy it, then look for something to do with it. I bought my Wii to play games - not to own one, then hope something comes out for it (to justify its purpose). The VC alone made it worth a purchase.

I got a PS3 for games.  So far:  Resistance, RR7, Elder Scrolls, and Motorstorm as far as blu-ray games.  I'll be stuck on Elder Scrolls for awhile.  I just bought blast factor because of reviews and I'm pretty happy with it.  Cash, Guns, Chaos sucked a lot.  flOw was a nice experience and is fun for casuals to play (ie my girlfriend), and it's 4 player.  Today is Calling all Cars and the update allowing PS3 users to play PS1 games (probably a few today I would guess) and transfer game saves from PS3 to PSP.  That's awesome, because I can now play PS1 games on the road then at home on the big screen.

That said, considering I would have gotten the PS3 without Linux, isn't it nice to be able to run Linux?  Isn't it nice that that 360 streams media from the computer as well?  To me, that's nice.  Blu-ray is nice as well.  Just because people are taking advantage of these extra features does not mean they just got the system and then looked for something to do.  Maybe that's the case with some people, but luckily there is quite a lot to do already.  PSN alone is worth the purchase because of PS1 game saves that I can move to the PSP now, and all the unique games and demos (blast factor demo convinced me to buy it...I'd like a Tekken demo but I'll try it on my PSP with that version).

That's great the PS3 can do all that.  Just too bad for Sony that most people can't justify $600 for it.  Good for you that you can though.

Around the Network
albionus said:

Another similarity between DS vs. PSP and Wii vs. PS3 is that in both cases the Sony systems are oddly not moving games. I would say it's because people are using the PSP for UMD movies and PS3 for Blu-ray but neither of those formats are selling terribly well. What are people doing with the PSP's and PS3's they're buying anyways? I can't imagine too many people think struggling to get linux to do whatever it does on the PS3 worth the effort, nor do I find running up my electric bill to help so researchers get grant money a reason to shell out $600. Whatever people are doing with them, they aren't buying as many games which is what they are supposed to be for.

This is a very wierd phenomenon.  I'm not sure if it's down to Nintendo being able to shift a ton of the typical games for DS, GC and Wii, you're Mario's, Zelda's etc.  But with the Sony consoles, the biggest sellers are the GTA's, but the other games bring in reasonably healthy sales but not loads....the sales are spread round all the games.

North America

360: 5 games owned per system

Wii: nearly 5 games owned per system

DS:  4 gamesowned per system

PSP: 3-4 games owned per system

PS3: nearly 3 games owned per system

Japan

DS:  4 games owned per system

360:  3 games owned per system 

PSP: 2 games owned per system

Wii: 2 games owned per system

PS3: not quite 2 games per system

PS2: not quite 2 games per system

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)