By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS sales are now almost double PSP, Wii double PS3

I have been talking about the similarities between the two for months now - and there are many.

At its heart, its a "hard-core" vrs "casual" battle.

The hard-core devices are graphically more powerful, more expensive, have "deeper" games, more storage space, more multi-functioned, etc.

The casual devies are cheaper, more profitable, have more games available, easier to develop for, more accessible control/input styles, quicker loading times and lighter, simpler, more casual games.

It seems to make sense that the casual devices sell more units in the marketplace - but the hardcore devices end up with the best games on them (and maybe more revenue). 

The BAD news for the PS3: The extra competition from the 360 (plus its 1 year lead), make this a much tougher battle. If the PSP was joined by the "Xboy" (MS's PSP) it would have sold less, and made the market even more competitive.

The Wii is also even more innovative than the DS - adding touch screen is one thing, but completely changing the input style is another.

And whereas there are many 3D games that simply won't work (at all) on the DS - the Wii is powerful enough to run every console game developed or released in the last 20 years (bar the 'new" next-gen titles). 

The price difference is even more significant as well - with the Wii selling at almost 1/3rd the price - for a profit - while the PS3 struggles to get close to breaking even.

The GOOD news for the PS3: The handheld market is more than just graphics. Battery life, loading times, size, weight - are all factors in purchasing units. The DS loses out to the PSP in the graphics department, but wins in just about every other.

House consoles are graphic focused, as they are designed to run on large display devices, high resolutions (esp. these days). The PS3 easily beats out the Wii in this department (no contest really) - more so than the DS vrs PSP. 2D games (Pokemon?) work nicely on handhelds - very few of the big selling titles on the DS are 3D titles (Nintendogs?). 3D tends to dominate consoles more than 2D does.

Probably more significant - the DS was a step above what was possible on handhelds before it was released.

The Wii however is not (as much) - take away the control scheme, and you have a compact "Xbox", with slightly more raw power. But to counter this - the Xbox never really ran its course. MS killed it off as soon as the 360 launched, and this left a lot of opportunities that were not completed.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

The PS3 can also run Windows XP.

And as I am setting the beast up for, running ripped videos. (I hate haveing to use discs)

Linux is the BOMB.

Only thing that needs to be done is break the hyper-visor off. However the more I'm learning about that bitch... the more it seems like you will need a hack the system software then do it from linux. (or mod chip)

I have a PC (actually 3) already, and I wouldn't buy a PS3 just to run Linux (or Windows).

This is the problem I have with the PS3... people buy it, then look for something to do with it. I bought my Wii to play games - not to own one, then hope something comes out for it (to justify its purpose). The VC alone made it worth a purchase.

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

I digress for a moment: Thanks for the info guys.

I knew that people could run Linux on PS3, which I thought was great. Considering one can play homebrew games like MUGEN on it....but if it lacks the ram...this option just found a large hole in the ship, (at least in my eyes.)

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

roadkillers said:

Not really that simular. The PSP is about 50 bucks more and you can do anything with it from watch movies to listen to music to play games. The Wii all is about games. The PS3 is about 350 more then the Wii and the PS3 does anything you can imagine. For god sakes it will cure cancer.

Indeed, it gives me some amazing hand jobs...

shams said:

House consoles are graphic focused, as they are designed to run on large display devices, high resolutions (esp. these days). The PS3 easily beats out the Wii in this department (no contest really) - more so than the DS vrs PSP. 2D games (Pokemon?) work nicely on handhelds - very few of the big selling titles on the DS are 3D titles (Nintendogs?). 3D tends to dominate consoles more than 2D does.

Only to those who are concerned that much about graphics, I was playing SPM yesterday on the Big screen in the Lobby of my building yesterday and over a dozen people came by and said the graphics were amazing, this was a GCN level of graphics yet it impressed everyone who saw it

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
shams said:

Only to those who are concerned that much about graphics, I was playing SPM yesterday on the Big screen in the Lobby of my building yesterday and over a dozen people came by and said the graphics were amazing, this was a GCN level of graphics yet it impressed everyone who saw it

Back in 2001 I said that, for the first time, a "Next Generation Game" (refering to the PS2/XBox/Gamecube) would be considered beautiful or ugly based on its artistic merit; I think I was right. You can produce some amazingly realistic games for the PS3 and XBox 360 but good artists with the Wii will also be able to produce some very pretty games.

HappySqurriel said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
shams said:

Only to those who are concerned that much about graphics, I was playing SPM yesterday on the Big screen in the Lobby of my building yesterday and over a dozen people came by and said the graphics were amazing, this was a GCN level of graphics yet it impressed everyone who saw it

Back in 2001 I said that, for the first time, a "Next Generation Game" (refering to the PS2/XBox/Gamecube) would be considered beautiful or ugly based on its artistic merit; I think I was right. You can produce some amazingly realistic games for the PS3 and XBox 360 but good artists with the Wii will also be able to produce some very pretty games.

That's the problem with *all* "next-gen" graphical consoles. We reached the point where a 3D game can be considered "amazing/beautiful" with the PS2 (even some PS1 games had that). Its all diminishing returns from here.

I had the same experience with Zelda (the fishing area). A few people were watching, and they couldn't believe how great the game looked (leaves floating down to the water, ripples/reflection in the water, way the lures worked, shadowing, night/day transitions). 

Lobby of your building? I want to work where you do :)
(and I also  want SPM to come out here... :>)

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

EDIT _ Posted in wrong thread.

Oh great, now MS will get the idea to join the handheld market and make the Zune into a "Xboy".

/Shudders in fear 

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

looking at the april charts, I think its more than double now. oi.