By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS sales are now almost double PSP, Wii double PS3

The similarities between the two console wars is scarily similar. With both Wii and DS, Nintendo have seen unprecidented and unexpected success all around the world, despite launching at the same time as rival Sony's more powerful and more mainstream consoles. With many big titles set to hit in 2007 it will be interesting to see how things pan out

http://digg.com/gaming_news/DS_sales_are_now_almost_double_PSP_Wii_double_PS3

Around the Network

Not really that simular. The PSP is about 50 bucks more and you can do anything with it from watch movies to listen to music to play games. The Wii all is about games. The PS3 is about 350 more then the Wii and the PS3 does anything you can imagine. For god sakes it will cure cancer.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Another difference is that the DS and PSP stayed some what close until the DS Lite came around and took off like a Rocket; the Wii has taken off straight out of the gate.

The Gamecube was selling like crazy when it first  came out too...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
The Gamecube was selling like crazy when it first  came out too...

Not really ...

In North America The Gamecube had a strong launch month (November) and good holiday sales (December) and then sales fell off in January and didn't really recover until the holiday season. Japan and Europe the Gamecube never sold unusually well.

Consider that by the 6 month point in Japan the Wii will have sold more hardware than the Gamecube did in 2 years and the Wii will likely sell more hardware in a year than the Gamecube did in its entire life.

Around the Network

Yep, the Gamecube sold well for 2 months and proceeded to drop like a rock.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

roadkillers said:

Not really that simular. The PSP is about 50 bucks more and you can do anything with it from watch movies to listen to music to play games. The Wii all is about games. The PS3 is about 350 more then the Wii and the PS3 does anything you can imagine. For god sakes it will cure cancer.

i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic... since you're saying:

DS: [you didn't say anything, but game playing as most important implied]

PSP: "can do anything with it"

========

Wii: "all about games"

PS3: "does anything you can imagine"

========

aren't you saying the two are really similar?

the other thing i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic is about the curing cancer part... it's only Folding@Home. don't be fooled by the PR spin about "curing cancer"... i'm in exactly that business and i know that's how you can get funding, claiming solution to some disease and all that.

the Wii is an epidemic.

roadkillers said:

The PS3 can also run Windows XP.

And as I am setting the beast up for, running ripped videos. (I hate haveing to use discs)

Linux is the BOMB.

Only thing that needs to be done is break the hyper-visor off. However the more I'm learning about that bitch... the more it seems like you will need a hack the system software then do it from linux. (or mod chip) 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Lingyis said:
roadkillers said:

i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic... since you're saying:

DS: [you didn't say anything, but game playing as most important implied]

PSP: "can do anything with it"

========

Wii: "all about games"

PS3: "does anything you can imagine"

========

aren't you saying the two are really similar?

the other thing i'm not sure if you're being sarcastic is about the curing cancer part... it's only Folding@Home. don't be fooled by the PR spin about "curing cancer"... i'm in exactly that business and i know that's how you can get funding, claiming solution to some disease and all that.

Well everything was serious beside the PS3 can cure cancer part.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Kwaad said:
roadkillers said:

The PS3 can also run Windows XP.

And as I am setting the beast up for, running ripped videos. (I hate haveing to use discs)

Linux is the BOMB.

Only thing that needs to be done is break the hyper-visor off. However the more I'm learning about that bitch... the more it seems like you will need a hack the system software then do it from linux. (or mod chip) 

It runs windows via a linux emulator at a crippling slwo pace, allot like win 95 on the PSP.

The biggest problem with runnign linux on the PS3 is the severe lack of RAM.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"