By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [POLL] Has Final Fantasy XIII disappointed you?

Tagged games:

Has Final Fantasy XIII disappointed you?

Not at all. I enjoyed it ... 121 27.75%

A bit. Liked it but not a... 130 29.82%

I was so disappointed tha... 185 42.43%

Total:436
Mirson said:
His rant came off like that which is why I simply ignored the majority of it. As for the HDTV, what I'm saying is they don't cost $1,500, not even last year. It's false.

so...you ignored my post because I may or may not have been right about the cost of a TV?  for someone like me at the time, it was beyond my price range, it didn't matter if they were 1500 or 15 000, it was out of my range so the point still stands. 

Some people will look to ANYTHING they can to argue...this is known as an Ad Hominem logical fallacy: attacking the opponent rather than the argument. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

It's false that HDTVs were $1,500 last year, so I simply assumed your other points were also supported with false claims which I didn't bother reading all of it. If you were to word it differently like "I didn't have enough to buy an HDTV at the time" or something like that, it would've been fine. However, the tone of your writing came off very negative and just seem like you wanted to hate everything about it.

Is someone bashing FFXIII because it's in HD?

Rofl.

Complaining about the battle system because it's supposedly made so you die too often...

Paradigm shifts are supposed to be used at the right moment. Sure there are easy battles where you don't really need to care about when you shift, but in tougher battles, the shifts and the moment you do them are part of the strategy.

If you complain that you die because you can't time them right... I don't see how that can be a legitimate complain.  

The battle system, while not perfect, gets criticized a lot for basically not being like complainers wanted.  Not because it is broken.

Mirson said:
It's false that HDTVs were $1,500 last year, so I simply assumed your other points were also supported with false claims which I didn't bother reading all of it. If you were to word it differently like "I didn't have enough to buy an HDTV at the time" or something like that, it would've been fine. However, the tone of your writing came off very negative and just seem like you wanted to hate everything about it.

it was a rant, of course I was being negative.  Truth be told I want to be positive about it but there's almost nothing about it worth liking.  That said, I will still be there first day to buy XIII-2 because I figure a few minor tweaks to the battle system and narrative style could take it from this steaming pile to a good game.  XIII has a lot of good ideas and a beautifully realized world, but shoddy execution marred by countless little issues that ensure that every moment of it is an excercise in selt control and frustration.  

If they had a better told story, more sidequests, and a more refined battle system it could very well be great.  As it stands it's forgettable and bordering on unplayable. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network

The one good thing about 13 was that there was no install and little load time. Square got that right!! Don't know about 360 version

Runa216 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
i guse i'm still stuck in the past, as i prefer the turn based style.

Nothing wrong with tradition!  Actually, of all the battle systems I liked 12 the most.  it was essentially the exact same as the traditional turn based, but it wasn't random battles.  That and you could program your allies, which I Felt worked amazingly well if you took the time to learn it. 

But I liked 6-10 a lot too. x-2 was surprisingly good as well. 

yea i have to admit i was against RPG's for the longest until i was asked to play FF10, and from there my future in RPG's seemed all but sertant.

ye i agree FF12 was good and you could cheat alittle by moving away after your turn lol. i'm going to back catalog as many FF as i can. i played FF7 not knowing wht i was doing,and then i watched somebody play and i was like how the hell do you do all of that.

it was awsume.

oniyide said:
The one good thing about 13 was that there was no install and little load time. Square got that right!! Don't know about 360 version

No doubt it performed perfectly on the PS3...but I don't care about performance if it's just a little loading time here or there.  I have it on PS3 but I wouldn't mind changing discs or dealing with installs on the 360.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
oniyide said:

No doubt it performed perfectly on the PS3...but I don't care about performance if it's just a little loading time here or there.  I have it on PS3 but I wouldn't mind changing discs or dealing with installs on the 360.  

I feel ya i was just trying to offset some of the negativity by saying something good about the game. That was the only thing to me that was exceptional. Between you an me, i dont think its a bad game per se, but when i see Final Fantasy on the cover of a game and knowing that game took forever to make. just being OK does not cut it. That crap is alright for the spinoffs. But for the MAIN series??? any thing less than very good is unacceptable. There is no aspect of the game that i consider very good, ive never said that about any of the FF main entries b4 this game, hell even 11 had good parts. Im not picking on FF either. I hold the same standards for the Street Fighter series, Mario and thats about it really oh and Tekken

oniyide said:

I feel ya i was just trying to offset some of the negativity by saying something good about the game. That was the only thing to me that was exceptional. Between you an me, i dont think its a bad game per se, but when i see Final Fantasy on the cover of a game and knowing that game took forever to make. just being OK does not cut it. That crap is alright for the spinoffs. But for the MAIN series??? any thing less than very good is unacceptable. There is no aspect of the game that i consider very good, ive never said that about any of the FF main entries b4 this game, hell even 11 had good parts. Im not picking on FF either. I hold the same standards for the Street Fighter series, Mario and thats about it really oh and Tekken

Oh, I've loved every major Final Fantasy game I've played and beaten.  I've loved them all so much that the series as a whole ranks atop my list.  For comparison, on my list of top games of all time, Final Fantasy VI is my #1, VII, X, and XII are all in my top ten, and IV, VIII, and IX are all in my top 25.  That says something rather intense about my tastes in games, not to mention I actually even liked the Crystal Chronicles and Tactics series with a raging passion.  For comparison, it's not too common for any game to ever get a 90 or more, but here are my scores for the FF games I've played and completed (didn't complete 2 or 3, never played 5)

I - 90
IV - 96 (in my top 25 of all time)
VI - 100 (The only 100 I will EVER award)
VII - 97 (Top ten)
VIII - 96 (Top 25)
IX - (Top 25)
X - 97 (Top Ten)
X-2 - 86 (Sure it was silly, but it was still amazing!) 
XII - 97 (Top Ten) 
XIII - 21 (worst game I've ever beaten, followed by Duke Nukem Forever) 

I rank things oddly, though.  a lot of my 'top ten/twenty-five' list entries are groups or series. For example, my Second Tier FF games (VII, X, and XII) all collectively take up one slot on my top ten list.  subesquently my third tier FF games (IV, VIII, IX) all take one one slot collectively.  my top 10 looks like this: 

100- Final Fantasy VI
99 - Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
99 - The Legend of Zelda: a Link to the Past
98 - Donkey Kong Country 1-3 
98 - Megaman 2
97 - Final Fantasy VII, X, XII
96 - Ratchet and Clank Series
96 - Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario World
96 - Super Smash Brothers Series
96 - Final Fantasy IV, VIII, IX

so you can imagine how hurt I was to see that XIII was such a colossal letdown. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX