By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do xbox exclusives sell more than ps3 exclusives ?

Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
fauzman said:
Runa216 said:
It's logically a balance of things.

1 - Marketing - Seriously, the amount of money Microsoft puts into marketing is insane, and it shows. Everyone and their aunt knows about Halo in spite of it being a good but not great game, Gears of War is hailed as some sort of messiah where it, too, is a decent but not special game. Sony always said they aren't willing to match Microsoft's marketing budgets, and that they prefer to just make a quality title and allow people to make their own choices.

2 - dispersion - I was doing the math and Sony has a considerable amount more exclusives than Microsoft, and they are equal or higher quality, too. because of this, paired with Microsoft advertising the hell out of Gears and Halo, it ensures the sales are more concentrated. (though PS3 exclusives still sell really well: Uncharted, Resistance, LBP, Motorstorm, MGS 4, God of War, and Gran Turismo are all selling quite well)

3 -Microsoft caters to trends - Let's face it, when you think Xbox, do you think platformers or puzzle games? No, you think manly space marines shooting and cutting their way through alien hoardes. the FPS Genre is 'in' right now when it comes to more 'mature' gamers, and the Xbox excells at that, where the PS3 draws in fans of all genres with ease. It has Racing, FPS, platforming, action/adventure, and RPG fans all backing it, so no one game or genre gets a lot of attention.

4 - America=Xbox - Look at sales, the Xbox is a juggernaut compared to the PS3 in America...which happens to be the biggest gaming community in the world. couple that with america's gun fetish and the Xbox's FPS obsession, and voila! it's just a combo made in heaven.

though many others have said it, I agree: the Xbox doesn't sell more games by a wide margin, but games like Halo and Gears of War sell so damn many that it makes it look like that. the truth is that PS3's sales are more evenly dispersed and therefore appear less impressive. I like to see it as it's more balanced.

I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head. Additional reasons are that a greater number of casual gamers tend to buy ps3s because of its greater multimedia capabilities (blueray) and dont buy games as much whereas xbox is preferred by the more hardcore gamers. Also, from what i understand the ps3 has generally been more attractive as a family friendly game console with its singstar/R&C/LBP games than the xbox (though this now has kinect) along with nintendo and these people wouldnt tend to buy very many games.

Actually...this used to hold true until the Kinect came out. The casuals like the 360 better by leaps and bounds and the core are buying more PS3s now because it is the least appealing console to the casuals.

I don't know if that's true, ps3 has move and a blu ray player, both would be appealing to casuals, it also has it's fair share of party and causual games, I think more then anything the price point of the ps3 is turning causuals off so you are probably right but I think when ps3 gets a price cut things will change (360 has a 200 model which causuals are likely to buy)
t m

I wish I could say that Sony will attract the casuals, but the only people the Move is attracting are more core. It's the most core friendly peripheral and there isnt enough content for it that is exclusive and isnt one of the normal core games. Eventually they will get more though. Sony knows who their main clientel are.....core gamers. The Kinect will sell well in Q4. The 360 has lost steam in value, so Microsoft is quite lucky they came out with the Kinect in the end. Sony hasn't lost value. The PS3 is selling well not because of the move being hot, but because of the exclusive titles. They have a wealth of them and it's increasing their value as the years go by. Microsoft and Sony will both have a great fourth quarter.

Around the Network
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
fauzman said:
Runa216 said:

1 - Marketing - Seriously, the amount of money Microsoft puts into marketing is insane, and it shows. Everyone and their aunt knows about Halo in spite of it being a good but not great game, Gears of War is hailed as some sort of messiah where it, too, is a decent but not special game. Sony always said they aren't willing to match Microsoft's marketing budgets, and that they prefer to just make a quality title and allow people to make their own choices.

2 - dispersion - I was doing the math and Sony has a considerable amount more exclusives than Microsoft, and they are equal or higher quality, too. because of this, paired with Microsoft advertising the hell out of Gears and Halo, it ensures the sales are more concentrated. (though PS3 exclusives still sell really well: Uncharted, Resistance, LBP, Motorstorm, MGS 4, God of War, and Gran Turismo are all selling quite well)

3 -Microsoft caters to trends - Let's face it, when you think Xbox, do you think platformers or puzzle games? No, you think manly space marines shooting and cutting their way through alien hoardes. the FPS Genre is 'in' right now when it comes to more 'mature' gamers, and the Xbox excells at that, where the PS3 draws in fans of all genres with ease. It has Racing, FPS, platforming, action/adventure, and RPG fans all backing it, so no one game or genre gets a lot of attention.

4 - America=Xbox - Look at sales, the Xbox is a juggernaut compared to the PS3 in America...which happens to be the biggest gaming community in the world. couple that with america's gun fetish and the Xbox's FPS obsession, and voila! it's just a combo made in heaven.

though many others have said it, I agree: the Xbox doesn't sell more games by a wide margin, but games like Halo and Gears of War sell so damn many that it makes it look like that. the truth is that PS3's sales are more evenly dispersed and therefore appear less impressive. I like to see it as it's more balanced.

I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head. Additional reasons are that a greater number of casual gamers tend to buy ps3s because of its greater multimedia capabilities (blueray) and dont buy games as much whereas xbox is preferred by the more hardcore gamers. Also, from what i understand the ps3 has generally been more attractive as a family friendly game console with its singstar/R&C/LBP games than the xbox (though this now has kinect) along with nintendo and these people wouldnt tend to buy very many games.

Actually...this used to hold true until the Kinect came out. The casuals like the 360 better by leaps and bounds and the core are buying more PS3s now because it is the least appealing console to the casuals.

I don't know if that's true, ps3 has move and a blu ray player, both would be appealing to casuals, it also has it's fair share of party and causual games, I think more then anything the price point of the ps3 is turning causuals off so you are probably right but I think when ps3 gets a price cut things will change (360 has a 200 model which causuals are likely to buy)
t m

I wish I could say that Sony will attract the casuals, but the only people the Move is attracting are more core. It's the most core friendly peripheral and there isnt enough content for it that is exclusive and isnt one of the normal core games. Eventually they will get more though. Sony knows who their main clientel are.....core gamers. The Kinect will sell well in Q4. The 360 has lost steam in value, so Microsoft is quite lucky they came out with the Kinect in the end. Sony hasn't lost value. The PS3 is selling well not because of the move being hot, but because of the exclusive titles. They have a wealth of them and it's increasing their value as the years go by. Microsoft and Sony will both have a great fourth quarter.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
fauzman said:
Runa216 said:

t m

Sony does know their audience is core, it came out several times that one of the reasons for move was to get casuals into core games making them core that's what the bioshock guy was talking about at E3, the move and party games gets the casuals interested in ps3, then they see a core game with move support and move acts like a bridge between core and casual, atleast that's what Sony wants, and I think the blu ray player + normal casual games is attracting more casuals then you think, someone interested in a blu ray player is likely to atleast look at ps3, if they have kids or something that don't have a system they would consider it but again those kids will probably turn into core, so I think the ps3 attracts casuals but many change over 

d21lewis said:
yo_john117 said:
d21lewis said:
Jay520 said:

As I said in a previous post. PS3 and 360 exclusives sell roughly the same

X360 - Halo 
PS3 - Gran Turismo
X360 - Gears of War
PS3 - Metal Gear Solid
X360 - Forza Motorsport
PS3 - Uncharted
PS3 - LittleBigPlanet
PS3 - God of War
X360 - Fable
X360 - Lef4 4 Dead
PS3 - Killzone

Neither holds a tremendous advantage

But, hypothetically, what if there were multiple Halo games and only one Gran Turismo released this gen?  What if there were multiple Gears of War games and only one Metal Gear Solid?  What if there were three Forzas  and three Uncharteds?  What if there were two LBP's and one God of War compared to two full fledged Fables and two Left 4 Deads?  Would that list look more like: Halo, Halo, Halo, Gran Turismo, Gears, Gears, Gears, Metal Gear Solid.  I didn't look anything up so the order might be wrong (and Splinter Cell would probably fit in there, somewhere) but I have to wonder if the abundance of PS3 lower tier exclusives (ie: inFamous, Ratchet and Clank, Mag) make up the difference.

It would take a better, less lazy man than me but I wouldn't mind if someone were to look up exclusives sales (did osamanobama do that recently?) year by year so we can compare apples to apples.

It's pretty awesome that you did that.  This data is probably even worthy of its own thread (unless somebody has already done it).  Now, if only somebody would leave one hundred thousand dollars in unmarked bills on my doorstep......

I'm fairly certain dsage01 has made about 10 threads reguarding this subject

Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
fauzman said:
Runa216 said:

t m

Sony does know their audience is core, it came out several times that one of the reasons for move was to get casuals into core games making them core that's what the bioshock guy was talking about at E3, the move and party games gets the casuals interested in ps3, then they see a core game with move support and move acts like a bridge between core and casual, atleast that's what Sony wants, and I think the blu ray player + normal casual games is attracting more casuals then you think, someone interested in a blu ray player is likely to atleast look at ps3, if they have kids or something that don't have a system they would consider it but again those kids will probably turn into core, so I think the ps3 attracts casuals but many change over 

Casual games are more appealing with the least learning curve + increased funfactor involved in that process. The sales are the evidence my friends. It takes far more neurons to play the Move than it does the Wii or Kinect. Which games expend more neurons? Core gamers. lol Blu Ray was yesterdays reason why people bought PS3's as a multimedia device. It was the cheapest Blu Ray player in the beginning and now its been surpassed. My family has a Samsung Blu Ray player which is better than the PS3 today and cheaper. I have my own, which is the PS3. Mine looks worse but I have an LED and they don't, so it kinda balances out. As for casual games, the Kinect requires little though and just you standing infront of the camera. The Kinect has nailed what Sony worked so hard with the Eye Toy last gen and failed to gather the casuals. This gen is their second attempt and they are still in last place with the casuals. Until Sony can open their mind and see the reason they are in last with peripherals, it really comes down to how much casuals will have to purchase + the lack of exclusive games that cannot already be played with a dual shock. Luckily those games are coming but they arent out yet. Secondly, those are still games the core would buy. I looked at those games and I was like, hell....I'd buy it. lol

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
fauzman said:
Runa216 said:

t m

Casual games are more appealing with the least learning curve + increased funfactor involved in that process. The sales are the evidence my friends. It takes far more neurons to play the Move than it does the Wii or Kinect. Which games expend more neurons? Core gamers. lol Blu Ray was yesterdays reason why people bought PS3's as a multimedia device. It was the cheapest Blu Ray player in the beginning and now its been surpassed. My family has a Samsung Blu Ray player which is better than the PS3 today and cheaper. I have my own, which is the PS3. Mine looks worse but I have an LED and they don't, so it kinda balances out. As for casual games, the Kinect requires little though and just you standing infront of the camera. The Kinect has nailed what Sony worked so hard with the Eye Toy last gen and failed to gather the casuals. This gen is their second attempt and they are still in last place with the casuals. Until Sony can open their mind and see the reason they are in last with peripherals, it really comes down to how much casuals will have to purchase + the lack of exclusive games that cannot already be played with a dual shock. Luckily those games are coming but they arent out yet. Secondly, those are still games the core would buy. I looked at those games and I was like, hell....I'd buy it. lol

I know you can get better blu rays for cheaper, but if you have kids or something and aren't a hardcore movie watcher you think I can get a gamesystem to keep the kids busy and a blu ray player for only 100 more, though right now there's probably the least people like that since ps3 hasn't dropped in awhile, and Sony does advertise it's periphials the least too, both wii and kinect have had alot more advertising then move so it's not surprizing it's in last, and I don't think Sony is interested in getting pure casuals, they know core lasts and thats their bread and butter, they want people who might become core and are aiming for them, I think MSes choices this gen are going to come back to bite them next 

Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
fauzman said:
Runa216 said:

t m

I know you can get better blu rays for cheaper, but if you have kids or something and aren't a hardcore movie watcher you think I can get a gamesystem to keep the kids busy and a blu ray player for only 100 more, though right now there's probably the least people like that since ps3 hasn't dropped in awhile, and Sony does advertise it's periphials the least too, both wii and kinect have had alot more advertising then move so it's not surprizing it's in last, and I don't think Sony is interested in getting pure casuals, they know core lasts and thats their bread and butter, they want people who might become core and are aiming for them, I think MSes choices this gen are going to come back to bite them next 

Yep. If you read the new Game Informer  with the console E3 grades they were talking about how Microsoft was focusing so heavily on third party titles, then a couple core and then blew everything away with the casual experience instead of showing more new core IP's. They also pointed out Microsoft have the casuals, but it's going to be a tough job for them convincing the core that kinect is for them, which I've also been telling everyone about here. Sony is the complete opposite. This holiday season they need to focus on their strong points. Microsoft has lost steam with first party core IP's, so they will unload with Gears 3 and Kinect titles this holiday season. Sony needs to focus strictly core and advertise the shit out of their move titles to even get the casuals notice. Simple. A price gut in september would help Sony destroy though. It's amazing how much Sony is selling this late in the game at a $299 price point. If they hit $199 like the 360 its on. lol

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
fauzman said:
Runa216 said:

t m

Yep. If you read the new Game Informer  with the console E3 grades they were talking about how Microsoft was focusing so heavily on third party titles, then a couple core and then blew everything away with the casual experience instead of showing more new core IP's. They also pointed out Microsoft have the casuals, but it's going to be a tough job for them convincing the core that kinect is for them, which I've also been telling everyone about here. Sony is the complete opposite. This holiday season they need to focus on their strong points. Microsoft has lost steam with first party core IP's, so they will unload with Gears 3 and Kinect titles this holiday season. Sony needs to focus strictly core and advertise the shit out of their move titles to even get the casuals notice. Simple. A price gut in september would help Sony destroy though. It's amazing how much Sony is selling this late in the game at a $299 price point. If they hit $199 like the 360 its on. lol

Yeah as soon as ps3 gets a price cut the amount of casuals interested in it with triple if not more and they are coming out with a ton of great games with alot of variety so everyone can find something where MS hasn't even released a retail exclusive that doesn't require kinect this year yet

Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Black_Scurge said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
fauzman said:
Runa216 said:

t m

Yeah as soon as ps3 gets a price cut the amount of casuals interested in it with triple if not more and they are coming out with a ton of great games with alot of variety so everyone can find something where MS hasn't even released a retail exclusive that doesn't require kinect this year yet

I'm not so sure that the casual will pick up a PS3 because of the cut more than the other consoles based on performance. I think the undecided gamers from last gen and gamers looking for more core experience will buy the PS3. We will see though. I mean Microsoft poured serious dollars into Kinect putting it on late night television shows and shut down Time Square for a launch party.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
I'm not so sure that the casual will pick up a PS3 because of the cut more than the other consoles based on performance. I think the undecided gamers from last gen and gamers looking for more core experience will buy the PS3. We will see though. I mean Microsoft poured serious dollars into Kinect putting it on late night television shows and shut down Time Square for a launch party.

One thing alot of people forget is that casuals aren't exclusively interested in party games and motion controls, games like rachet and clank, LBP and hell even twisted metal attract casuals there is some overlap, I mean look at modern warefare that game is casual centeral yet people act like it's hardcore