By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do xbox exclusives sell more than ps3 exclusives ?

Hi guys i have a question, why does the xbox sell more games then the ps3? We all know that the xbox got hacked years ago to play pirate games but it still manges to sell more then the ps3 which got hacked not so long ago. Please excuse my English

Around the Network

I believe there was an article on N4G for this, but ultimately the point was that Microsoft usually releases less exclusives than Sony, therefore sales are split among less ammount of software (well, at least it was one of these points, there may be more but I can't remember).

EDIT: The article in question.

really but i remember when xbox had a ton of exclusives and they still manged to sell more than the ps3. i blame marketing for the ps3 exclusives

Which exclusives would that be? Halo, Gears...

Gran Turismo sells better than Forza.

The rest is pretty even. 360 has 2 highly successful series with multiple releases this generation all of which have sold very well, including the half-game ODST.

I think this perspective, like many had a lot more validity 2 years ago when 360 had a massive WW lead over PS3 in HW sales, now that HW is more even then exclusive sales is closer.

There's also the fact that Japan is still a substantial market for PS3, and Japanese taste in games is very different to the rest of the world, so for all the PS3s in Japan you can basically count them out of selling much in the way of games with a Western vibe (unless they're made by Japanese developers).

360 also has a huge lead over PS3 in Americas and the 2 huge exclusive franchises for 360 enjoy a massive following in North America, Halo especially. It's hardly a surprise that the exclusive more appealing to European sensibilities and not so popular among Americans (Forza) is selling more back in the pack with PS3 exclusives.

Upshot is, the difference is not as much as you might think.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I don't know if it's really correct to say that the Xbox exclusives sell more than the Ps3 exclusives. The major games do, in general, sell a bit more on X360 than on Ps3.

I believe that this is because the X360 has a more unison fanbase, with a more similar group of players, while the Ps3 has a larger mix of players.

That, and the fact that Americans buy more games than Europeans, and the X360 is big in America while the Ps3 is big in Europe.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Which exclusives would that be? Halo, Gears...

Gran Turismo sells better than Forza.

The rest is pretty even. 360 has 2 highly successful series with multiple releases this generation all of which have sold very well, including the half-game ODST.

I think this perspective, like many had a lot more validity 2 years ago when 360 had a massive WW lead over PS3 in HW sales, now that HW is more even then exclusive sales is closer.

There's also the fact that Japan is still a substantial market for PS3, and Japanese taste in games is very different to the rest of the world, so for all the PS3s in Japan you can basically count them out of selling much in the way of games with a Western vibe (unless they're made by Japanese developers).

360 also has a huge lead over PS3 in Americas and the 2 huge exclusive franchises for 360 enjoy a massive following in North America, Halo especially. It's hardly a surprise that the exclusive more appealing to European sensibilities and not so popular among Americans (Forza) is selling more back in the pack with PS3 exclusives.

Upshot is, the difference is not as much as you might think.

That's wierd because games like call of duty on the ps3 sells like hot cakes.

Because better games sell better.

I'm kidding people, I'm kidding!! *Goes to play Shadows of the Damned and Child of Eden*

I think the main reason is that Microsoft will always put everything behind one 'big' exclusive for the holiday period - Halo Reach last year and GoW3 this year etc. This means Halo / GoW rack up 'big' sales as the big holiday game, whereas Sony spread their sales a bit more (Resistance, R&C, Uncharted and Twisted metal all coming this holiday... albeit with a clear 'focus' on Uncharted).

And the other reason is there are more 360's out there then PS3's... further emphasized when you consider a chunk of those PS3 sales are Japan too - which sells very different software... making it harder for 'big' numbers as it's hard to get sales from the east and west.

I really couldn't answer that one, I don't have a clue. Playstation has good exclusives and more. Xbox has really good exclusives. They both have about the same number of consoles sold. Maybe Xbox owners want to prove they love their console more.

d21lewis said:
Because better games sell better.

I'm kidding people, I'm kidding!! *Goes to play Shadows of the Damned and Child of Eden*

have you beat VC yet lol.

is Shadows of the Dammed good?

OT: marketing is one aspect of it, but it looks like multiple exclusives are Sony's biggest selling points. they may not sale big this gen but next gen seems to be more balanced with hardware sales when whatching the post on this and other sites and when speaking to gamers in general.(assumption only)

when you really think about it: all these exclusives eat up the fan base and PS owners seem to play a more verity of games that some may not understand.

PS exclusives arin't always that simple to understand. PS3 is not the shooter box as it does everything for a reason, and some third party games PS3 does sale better then the competition. even PS2 sales some multiplatform games better then then the current competition.

even so i wan't you to remember one thing if nothing else. sales don't equal quality.