By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 'Harry Potter' Becomes Top-Grossing Franchise/Surpasses Star Wars

Yes but adjusted wise EPisode 4 ALONE made $1.4 Billion at domestic box office

So counting TICKET SALES Star Wars is DOUBLE POTTER..not even counting any of the re-releases

But regardless well done to Potter BUT SW 3D re-releases will put it back on top and of course the inevitabl Sequel Trilogy/next main canon SW films etc.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Yes but adjusted wise EPisode 4 ALONE made $1.4 Billion at domestic box office

So counting TICKET SALES Star Wars is DOUBLE POTTER..not even counting any of the re-releases

But regardless well done to Potter BUT SW 3D re-releases will put it back on top and of course the inevitabl Sequel Trilogy/next main canon SW films etc.

Yes yes...we all know how big SW is at the boxoffice,you dont need to remind us

@morder

A sith deals in repetition.

On a related note, does anyone know of a similar ranking of film franchises (adjusted for inflation...) that includes an estimate of all related merchandise?  I'm wondering how close HP comes to SW, which I assume walks away with it by miles(which I guess it does even if you just adjust the ticket prices for inflation), as despite all the HP books, everyone in the eighties had heaps of SW toys, duvet covers etc, not to mention all the books and TV series.

darthdevidem01 said:
@morder

A sith deals in repetition.

Then you have to deal more with the alphabet,since you can't spell my name right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFN_xuwiDW0

Around the Network
Nomad Blue said:

On a related note, does anyone know of a similar ranking of film franchises (adjusted for inflation...) that includes an estimate of all related merchandise?  I'm wondering how close HP comes to SW, which I assume walks away with it by miles(which I guess it does even if you just adjust the ticket prices for inflation), as despite all the HP books, everyone in the eighties had heaps of SW toys, duvet covers etc, not to mention all the books and TV series.

Star Wars had its BEST year in merchandise/toys sales last year

So not just in the 80's but Star Wars is as powerful as EVER in toys/merchandising today...

@Mordred

Deal with the alphabet or an ophthalmologist?

darthdevidem01 said:
Nomad Blue said:

@Mordred

How about both just to make sure?,kidding mate.

Mordred11 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Nomad Blue said:

@Mordred

How about both just to make sure?,kidding mate.

Good cus I was about to cry!

There are sequels because the freakin books have been out for sometime and they are going by those books. Duh. This much money I believe is highly because of the 3D ticket prices which are more than the normal 2D screenings. The next Batman movie may not have a 3D release because Nolan does not believe that 3D is anything special (thankfully). But I think it can outdo TDK if the story is amazing.

darthdevidem01 said:
Nomad Blue said:

Star Wars had its BEST year in merchandise/toys sales last year

So not just in the 80's but Star Wars is as powerful as EVER in toys/merchandising today...

@Mordred

Yeah, I had a quick look in google and all I can find is that $450m(!) worth of Star Wars toys were sold in 2008 alone (not sure whether that's US or WW though).  Not sure what percentage Lucas gets from that, but he'll be raking it in.