By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Can a movement similar to fascism emerge in the US?

Can a movement similar to fascism emerge in the US?

Yes 67 56.78%

No 21 17.80%

Not a "movement sim... 27 22.88%

Total:115
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:

i would agree so far as to say that should god exist he is not likely to be as described in the texts of those religions.

but i dont see how it was all that relevant to his point and that you just wanted a god argument.  its easily interpreted in a secular and agreeable way.  every human at (i would say conception but we can go with birth for the sake of this topic) has basic human rights.  that those rights dont cease to exist or change just because some government says so.    these rights should be the base of how society works and that, for example, creating things to the effect of "the right to not be offended by someone" by politicians to gain votes withing certain communities is obscene.

It's relevant in that Osamanobama was saying that his God Yahweh is supposed to be in charge of everything in the US and that universities that teach evolution are anti-Yahweh (when there is no real reason to be Pro Yahweh aka "God") and that Osamanobama is emblematic of the types of people that think Fox News a station with a heavy Pro God / Yahweh bias is fair and balanced.  As the pro Yahweh crowd are the ones in danger of leading this country down the road to fascism or totalitarianism.

I find it obsence when public policies are made that prevent others from being able to have all of the personal freedoms that they should have like not allowing women to be in charge of their own bodies, supporting one faction (or two) factions in The Middle East when all three sides are to blame and none of them any more right in their beliefs than Yanammanno tribesman fighting in the South American jungle over which one is more magical and being allowed to jeapordize the whole world while doing so because the Christians, Jews, and Muslems have more potent spears than the Yanammano, or denying others the right to do things that would harm no one else and that should be their rights as much as anyone else's -- gay marriage -- due to the bigoted teachings in a book that lost most of its claim to be any kind of a reliable source long ago.

apparently me being a Christian, has blinded you with hatred so my entire points in this thread have flew right over your head.

to address you simpleton misunderstandings

-never said God is supposed to be in charge of everything in the US

-never said universities teaching evolution are lying or anti-God, in fact never even mentioned evolution

-nearly every anchor of every news station claims to be a Christian, this is no different at Fox, and their faith almosts always has absolutely nothing to do with whats being reported.

-you have an irrational fear and hatred to Christians

Around the Network
osamanobama said:
EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
EdHieron said:
We already have a movement similar to fascism in the US. It's called Fundamentalist Christianity and as Republican / Tea Party types continue to gain more power in the US over the next couple of years, we're going to see a rise in its insidious influence on our culture as well.

you do realize, overthing the tea party sands for is the polar opposite to Fascism.

also all tea party rallies have been extremely peaceful. but nice try bub. you would have a greater chance of finding violent people  wanting a dictatorship type government at a greenpeace or anti-war rally

Any time you find people wanting to "put God back in charge of everything everything" you find a group of fascists.  And the only reason most Conservative candidates one their elections in 2010 was due to the Evangelical votes that they received, so yes that is evidence of a fascist movement in our society influencing public policy.

so you dont know what a fascist is, then.

why are you here?

edit: also you arent very good at judging politic climates and determining factors of elections, are you? the results of the election had little to due with Christianity, and every thing to due with back lash to an ever increasing size of goverment, its control of their lives, taxes, debt, etc

I definitely know what a fascist is.  Fascism is a form of government that wants to remove most of the rights from its citizens in order to lead them down an erroneous ideological path.  Ie. Fundamentalist Christianity.  See most of the history of Christianity at times when it has had the power to shape world events ie.  The genocides commited by Christians against many different crusades from the time of the crusades right up to the Salem Witchtrials.  Also Hitler himself, probably history's most noted fascist, was largely influenced and supported by various Christian fashions ( http://nobeliefs.com/Hitler1.htm ).  And emulated many of their actions during their various crusades and witchhunts.

Over 70% of the Christians that voted in the last elections voted for Conservative candidatess and if you remove the Christian vote from the last set of elections, then many of the elections that were won by Conservatives would have had different results ( http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/thesearch/archive/2010/11/05/christians-again-swing-u-s-mid-term-elections.aspx ).  

osamanobama said:
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:

i would agree so far as to say that should god exist he is not likely to be as described in the texts of those religions.

but i dont see how it was all that relevant to his point and that you just wanted a god argument.  its easily interpreted in a secular and agreeable way.  every human at (i would say conception but we can go with birth for the sake of this topic) has basic human rights.  that those rights dont cease to exist or change just because some government says so.    these rights should be the base of how society works and that, for example, creating things to the effect of "the right to not be offended by someone" by politicians to gain votes withing certain communities is obscene.

It's relevant in that Osamanobama was saying that his God Yahweh is supposed to be in charge of everything in the US and that universities that teach evolution are anti-Yahweh (when there is no real reason to be Pro Yahweh aka "God") and that Osamanobama is emblematic of the types of people that think Fox News a station with a heavy Pro God / Yahweh bias is fair and balanced.  As the pro Yahweh crowd are the ones in danger of leading this country down the road to fascism or totalitarianism.

I find it obsence when public policies are made that prevent others from being able to have all of the personal freedoms that they should have like not allowing women to be in charge of their own bodies, supporting one faction (or two) factions in The Middle East when all three sides are to blame and none of them any more right in their beliefs than Yanammanno tribesman fighting in the South American jungle over which one is more magical and being allowed to jeapordize the whole world while doing so because the Christians, Jews, and Muslems have more potent spears than the Yanammano, or denying others the right to do things that would harm no one else and that should be their rights as much as anyone else's -- gay marriage -- due to the bigoted teachings in a book that lost most of its claim to be any kind of a reliable source long ago.

apparently me being a Christian, has blinded you with hatred so my entire points in this thread have flew right over your head.

-never said universities teaching evolution are lying or anti-God, in fact never even mentioned evolution

-nearly every anchor of every news station claims to be a Christian, this is no different at Fox, and their faith almosts always has absolutely nothing to do with whats being reported.

Oh, you're being a Christian doesn't make me hate you.  That fact just shows how wrong you are.

"You Simpleton" -- looks like you really didn't even bother to learn grammar in school there, bud..  Really flying over my head there.  Not.

-- You said the laws in this nation we're "God given" when in fact they're not as your God doesn't exist.  Its people at Tea Party realities holding up signs about how we need to get God back in our country that demonstrate the Tea Party's intentions on that score.

--You might not have mentioned evolution, however, since you have a firm belief in God and a blatant disregard for universities it's easy to see they're definitely teaching something that you disagree with.  So, I guess you're fine with Universities teaching the truth that there's nothing more than mythology to the old religions as well as Evolution?

--Funny seeing as how they very often have various priests and preachers come on to all of the shows on Fox at least on a weekly basis.  You don't see priests and preachers on a weekly basis during most of their news programming. 

-- Anybody that has looked at the history of Christianity and that understands how they want to impose their God on everyone else's personal activities should at the very least have a healthy skepticism of the good intentions of Christians.

EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:

Wrong.

Modern day conservatives want liberty and freedom - but primarily for market sectors, and not personal sectors. That is 'conservative' as most nations have had less regulation/economic controls in the past, thus they want to 'conserve' this. Likewise, most personal freedoms have been restricted in the past, thus want to 'conserve' it.

Likewise, modern day liberals want the opposite of this - market restrictions and personal freedoms.

Well, economic liberalism is only a small part of overall liberalism. Overall conservatives still don't care much for freedom or liberty.

Given that you've never held a job, run a business, or hired anyone, I believe you don't know enough about the subject to make such an assertion.

Economic liberty to those that work, employ people, or run a business is just as valid as those that engage in personal liberties. Furthermore, heavily liberal ideologies also support redistribution of all workers' incomes in various fashions means that they are directly pre-empting your work with their own views of where your livelihood should go. Additionally, it means in some cases, you may or may not buy certain goods or services to which they deem are improper for society (such as fatty food taxes, wage and salary caps by economic sector, price controls). These things are just as egregious as the state deciding who you can marry, what you can say in a public domain, what you may smoke or drink, and the like.

I actually don't think they're on the same level. And if I have to choose, I'll choose the side that's defending what I care about more. Still, conservatives are hardly liberal even in economic matters. They're the chief opponents of things like legalizing drugs or prostitution, and unlike liberals who give somewhat compelling reasons for things they want to restrict/ban something, conservatives base their arguments on irrational things like religion (basically their dislike of personal freedoms extends in the economical sphere also).

liberals (in america) are completely inconsistant in what they value as rights, it constintly changes in order to gain a bigger voter base. they pander and change just so they can get votes.

and in our country our rights are God given, not by government

God doesn't exist.

if you are going to make such definitive statements on the subject you must have definitive proof...? 

Well, in the big picture of things if you're talking about some generic deistic God, then I don't have any proof that such a god doesn't exist other than the fact that if there was one you would think that it would show itself in some fashion which it has never done.

If on the other hand you're implying as most people seem to do and as Osamanobama was that that "God" is Yahweh and that Yahweh was the father of Jesus and the creator of everything in the universe and all people must follow his laws or go to Hell some day, then I would consider the fact that since Yahweh was just a literary invention of the Bible's J author and based upon a hodgepodge of other earlier Egyptian and Mesoptamian Gods, then I would say that that is definitive proof that God meaning Yahweh the God of Judeao-Christianity  and Islam and that most American Conservatives claim is God definitely doesn't exist.

Oh, here it is folks! The open minded, freedom loving,  tolerant liberal has SPOKEN! Listen to this voice of reason or face the fury of the judgement that he so heavly accuses Christians of !!!!

Well, I am convinced !!!!! Thats such a compeling evidence, I dont know how could have I been so blind! Thank you for opening my eyes with this remarkable post !!!!!

But seriously, thats has to be the most ignorant thing I have ever read in my whole life. And I know I said this few times back, but this time I actually mean this

EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:

Oh, you're being a Christian doesn't make me hate you.  That fact just shows how wrong you are.

"You Simpleton" -- looks like you really didn't even bother to learn grammar in school there, bud..  Really flying over my head there.  Not.

-- You said the laws in this nation we're "God given" when in fact they're not as your God doesn't exist.  Its people at Tea Party realities holding up signs about how we need to get God back in our country that demonstrate the Tea Party's intentions on that score.

--You might not have mentioned evolution, however, since you have a firm belief in God and a blatant disregard for universities it's easy to see they're definitely teaching something that you disagree with.  So, I guess you're fine with Universities teaching the truth that there's nothing more than mythology to the old religions as well as Evolution?

--Funny seeing as how they very often have various priests and preachers come on to all of the shows on Fox at least on a weekly basis.  You don't see priests and preachers on a weekly basis during most of their news programming. 

-- Anybody that has looked at the history of Christianity and that understands how they want to impose their God on everyone else's personal activities should at the very least have a healthy skepticism of the good intentions of Christians.

i missed typed, its the internet, so if youre going to make a big deal about me tryping you instead of your, be my guest. but the point remains the same, my point flew wayy over your (there you go, you happy?) head.

-false, never once said our laws were God given, i said our rights were. and its right there in our founding documents, its not hidden. if you choose not to believe that, fine. yes, lots of tea party members take their faith very seriously, but they all have one thing in common and thats for a smaller limitied government, so good luck gettting a totalitarian regime forcing everybody to be christian with that.

-my quaral (spelling?) with universities had nothing to do with creationism vs evolution. it was about censor ship, especially of conservative thought. read my posts, and watch the video. hopefully then you will see my point.

-weekly basis, what shows, never seen that. every once in a while seam hannity has some catholic priest (cant think of his name) appears on his great american panel. but its no different than when other news stations has religios/spiritual personalties appear on their shows. youre really grasping for straws hear.

-christians want every body to have a relationship with God, meaning they want them to be Christians, but no one is forsing you to. and fortunately you wont be blown up by Christians for rejecting Christ, and you wont be beheaded for making fun of Christians. have you every been to a tea party rally, do you notice how peaceful they are.

for your other post. you say 70% of christians voted for republicans. so what, what does that prove. thats a non sequitor arguement. most Christians, like the idea of less taxes and smaller government, so logically they are going to vote for conservatives. hey, most women voted for democrats, 97% of black people voted for dems. what does that matter

Around the Network
EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:

''the fact shows that you are wrong'' - So someone being a Christian automatically makes him wrong at the discussion? Yeah the FACT that you think that shows that you have irrational and disturbing hate of Christians

Good thing pointing at gramer on the internet. it will always help you win a debate

I believe he said that in the constitituion it says that american laws are God given. Or maybe he meant moral laws. And your ''fact'' that God doesnt exist is just as relevant and good as the tree my cow uses to wipe her ass with. And what the Hell do you mean by ''bringing God back to the country''?  America is alrady religious country as it is, no matter how much you hate the fact.

I beleive he was argung the liberal bias some of the proffesors at the universites have, not that he hates them. But than again, not like you insane hatred towards Christianity could make you see things the way they are

I dont watch fox, cant comment on this.

Or perhaps you cant distinguish the difference between the institutions of Christianity (the church) and the Christianity itself?  Not to mention you judged the group of 2.2 billion people by the actions of some of the kingdoms that killed eople 700 years ago.

Player1x3 said:
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:

Wrong.

Modern day conservatives want liberty and freedom - but primarily for market sectors, and not personal sectors. That is 'conservative' as most nations have had less regulation/economic controls in the past, thus they want to 'conserve' this. Likewise, most personal freedoms have been restricted in the past, thus want to 'conserve' it.

Likewise, modern day liberals want the opposite of this - market restrictions and personal freedoms.

Well, economic liberalism is only a small part of overall liberalism. Overall conservatives still don't care much for freedom or liberty.

Given that you've never held a job, run a business, or hired anyone, I believe you don't know enough about the subject to make such an assertion.

Economic liberty to those that work, employ people, or run a business is just as valid as those that engage in personal liberties. Furthermore, heavily liberal ideologies also support redistribution of all workers' incomes in various fashions means that they are directly pre-empting your work with their own views of where your livelihood should go. Additionally, it means in some cases, you may or may not buy certain goods or services to which they deem are improper for society (such as fatty food taxes, wage and salary caps by economic sector, price controls). These things are just as egregious as the state deciding who you can marry, what you can say in a public domain, what you may smoke or drink, and the like.

I actually don't think they're on the same level. And if I have to choose, I'll choose the side that's defending what I care about more. Still, conservatives are hardly liberal even in economic matters. They're the chief opponents of things like legalizing drugs or prostitution, and unlike liberals who give somewhat compelling reasons for things they want to restrict/ban something, conservatives base their arguments on irrational things like religion (basically their dislike of personal freedoms extends in the economical sphere also).

liberals (in america) are completely inconsistant in what they value as rights, it constintly changes in order to gain a bigger voter base. they pander and change just so they can get votes.

God doesn't exist.

if you are going to make such definitive statements on the subject you must have definitive proof...? 

Well, in the big picture of things if you're talking about some generic deistic God, then I don't have any proof that such a god doesn't exist other than the fact that if there was one you would think that it would show itself in some fashion which it has never done.

If on the other hand you're implying as most people seem to do and as Osamanobama was that that "God" is Yahweh and that Yahweh was the father of Jesus and the creator of everything in the universe and all people must follow his laws or go to Hell some day, then I would consider the fact that since Yahweh was just a literary invention of the Bible's J author and based upon a hodgepodge of other earlier Egyptian and Mesoptamian Gods, then I would say that that is definitive proof that God meaning Yahweh the God of Judeao-Christianity  and Islam and that most American Conservatives claim is God definitely doesn't exist.

Oh, here it is folks! The open minded, freedom loving,  tolerant liberal has SPOKEN! Listen to this voice of reason or face the fury of the judgement that he so heavly accuses Christians of !!!!

Well, I am convinced !!!!! Thats such a compeling evidence, I dont know how could have I been so blind! Thank you for opening my eyes with this remarkable post !!!!!

But seriously, thats has to be the most ignorant thing I have ever read in my whole life. And I know I said this few times back, but this time I actually mean this

Oh, I guess it's only ignorant because you haven't done the proper research.  I bet you haven't even had one class in Higher Biblical Criticism at a major university.  That would really explain why you have no idea as to how the Bible was actually written.

Here are a few links to help you come out of your cloud of ignorance:

On How Yahweh was based on earlier Gods from the Mesopotamian and Egyptian regions:

http://www.karenlyster.com/sitchina.html (note:  I definitely don't come to the same conclusions as Sitchin but he does a good job of demonstration how the earlier Sumerian religion influenced the later Hebrew one's conception of its God).

On The J author -- the original author of the Torah that invented Yahweh from a hodgepodge of the earlier Gods of that region ( http://www.thesatirist.com/books/BookOfJ.html )

On the Documentary Hypothesis and further elaboration upon how The Torah was conceived (before it's completion four other authors or schools of authors were instrumental in bringing The Bible to its final form (The E author that felt that the J author was wrong in only having one of the gods in her version of the Bible and the later three groups of priestly authors that brought The Bible back to including only one God as it's easier to control the populace when they're only following one God and following the example of ancient Egypt knew that if you could control a populace's beliefs then you could control their actions added most of the laws that are included in The Old Testament)

Wellhausen -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Wellhausen

Massey -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Massey

On The Documentary Hypothesis of the construction of The Torah -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis

Next time due a bit of study and research so that you won't be so surprised when a new idea to you that you consider to be ignorant actually turns out to be true.

EdHieron said:
Player1x3 said:
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:

God doesn't exist.

Oh, I guess it's only ignorant because you haven't done the proper research.  I bet you haven't even had one class in Higher Biblical Criticism at a major university.  That would really explain why you have no idea as to how the Bible was actually written.

On How Yahweh was based on earlier Gods from the Mesopotamian and Egyptian regions:

http://www.karenlyster.com/sitchina.html (note:  I definitely don't come to the same conclusions as Sitchin but he does a good job of demonstration how the earlier Sumerian religion influenced the later Hebrew one's conception of its God).

On The J author -- the original author of the Torah that invented Yahweh from a hodgepodge of the earlier Gods of that region ( http://www.thesatirist.com/books/BookOfJ.html )

On the Documentary Hypothesis and further elaboration upon how The Torah was conceived (before it's completion four other authors or schools of authors were instrumental in bringing The Bible to its final form (The E author that felt that the J author was wrong in only having one of the gods in her version of the Bible and the later three groups of priestly authors that brought The Bible back to including only one God as it's easier to control the populace when they're only following one God and following the example of ancient Egypt knew that if you could control a populace's beliefs then you could control their actions added most of the laws that are included in The Old Testament)

On The Documentary Hypothesis of the construction of The Torah -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_hypothesis

Next time due a bit of study and research so that you won't be so surprised when a new idea to you that you consider to be ignorant actually turns out to be true.

quick question. what does this thread have anything to do with you wanting to disprove Christianity.

youre in the wrong thread dude, but you can always create you own if you want to, i could show you how if youd like

EdHieron said:
Player1x3 said:
EdHieron said:
MrBubbles said:
EdHieron said:
osamanobama said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:
sapphi_snake said:
mrstickball said:

Wrong.

God doesn't exist.

That only suggestes (it doesnt prove) that Torah was written during different periods of time .Symbolics in todays abrahamic religions are from pagan religions - no one is denying that. But the specifics of an abrahamic God (which is the God christians worship) were originally presented to mankind by Moses. And the linking of pagan Gods to an abrahamic one has already been debunked dozens of times by now. Its something simmilar to what Zeitgeist tried to pull off and failed hardly

http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/articles/zeitgeist/part-one/

That link should show why linking pagan gods and saints to an abrahamic God is dumb

Even in one of those articles it says that Yehweh bears little resemblance of the God Christians worship, so its very likely that they had no idea who Yahweh was or they mixed them up with some of the pagan figures. Pagan symbolics are present in todays abrahaic religions - but not the concep of God himself.

EdHieron said:
Player1x3 said:

Worth noting too that Talmudic law bears more than a passing resemblance to other ancient near eastern laws. I'm not going to be so bold as to suggest that it was all made up deliberately, but they were certainly drawing on cultural commonalities more than they were drawing on the word of Yahweh

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.