By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony considers producing PS3 with larger hard drive

Hus said:they cut the 20 gig in the USA becaue no one was buying them, retailers were not ordering them!!

i love the anti sony fud. 

Basically everything erikaston said is his bias opionin.

Let's look at how the 20gig has been treated around the world:

Japan- price cut before launch. Howard Stringer turns around and says this was a poor decision on his part.

Europe- 20gig never launched.

NA- Sony, at the behest of retailers, delivers only 20% of the 20gig model at launch (remember: Sony sets the wholesale price on these things). Citing poor sales, they cut the 20gig altogether less than 5 months later.

You can draw your own conclusions. I think Sony was clearly anxious to cut the cheaper model, to cut unneeded features like full BC, and now to release a more expensive model. All because their sales are dismal, and they need to reduce their losses in every way possible.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
Hus said:
Erik Aston said:
dallas said:
Why not just make a plug-in hard drive for the PS3?

Because this isn't actually based on "consumer needs." They think that people already interested in PS3 might opt for an even more high-end model, which will be closer to making a profit. If they just offered an add-on HDD, very few people would buy it, but if there's two models, Joe Shmoe might simply buy the more expensive one instead of bothering to find out what all the differences are.

Sony is basically just scrambling for ways to save or make money. They cut the 20gig model because it was taking a larger loss. They cut the PS2 parts for quick-and-dirty cost reduction. Now they're inventing reasons to release a more expensive model.

This is what happens when you're already taking massive losses, and then only reach 50% of your sales goal. They can't produce the volume needed for quick cost reduction, and with a lower install base they can't sell software or Blu-Ray movies fast enough to start off-setting their losses.

Basically, their whole business plan is unraveling, and they need to make corrective measures right away.

they cut the 20 gig in the USA becaue no one was buying them, retailers were not ordering them!!

haha, it's partially true that retailers aren't ordering them, but it's also true that they do take a larger loss on the 20 Gb model.

in the end, those two factors both go in favor of scrapping the 20 Gb model.  of course, you don't hear about the other factor in the press. 

the Wii is an epidemic.

Hus said:
Erik Aston said:
dallas said:

Because this isn't actually based on "consumer needs." They think that people already interested in PS3 might opt for an even more high-end model, which will be closer to making a profit. If they just offered an add-on HDD, very few people would buy it, but if there's two models, Joe Shmoe might simply buy the more expensive one instead of bothering to find out what all the differences are.

Sony is basically just scrambling for ways to save or make money. They cut the 20gig model because it was taking a larger loss. They cut the PS2 parts for quick-and-dirty cost reduction. Now they're inventing reasons to release a more expensive model.

This is what happens when you're already taking massive losses, and then only reach 50% of your sales goal. They can't produce the volume needed for quick cost reduction, and with a lower install base they can't sell software or Blu-Ray movies fast enough to start off-setting their losses.

Basically, their whole business plan is unraveling, and they need to make corrective measures right away.

they cut the 20 gig in the USA becaue no one was buying them, retailers were not ordering them!!

Come on Hus!!!

Don't lie to yourself... you know that it's Sony who cut the 20 gig supply and not the retailers

Sony just stopped producing them after launch. If you say that "No, they kept producing them after Launch" then I ask you where are the ones that just came off the assembly line in January? or February? or March?? None of those seemed to have reached the store shelves... This would also explain why no 20 gig's where available in Europe for Launch.

oh and btw.. your not allowed to call someones post "biased"... that would be like the pot calling the kettle black...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

The cost difference between a 60 and 80 gig hard drive is negligible (a couple bucks). They don't need to release a new model. They could just start selling 80s instead and pretend they're offering a better deal. Any type of elite model would be pointless, though.

I bet it's going to be like 50 dollars more though...because it might look cooler and have 20 gigs more of space...half the consumers out there won't know how much hard drives cost and will probably buy it...which makes me mad.  They'd be better off selling just the 60 or just the 80 gb version...there's no reason to sell two different models, as seen by the lack of 20 gb sales.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
Hus said:
Erik Aston said:
dallas said:

Actually, his post was very respectable, and made alot of sense and actually included mostly facts.  I think you flamming him for his good post was another obvious sign of your own fanboyism, thus getting all defensive over a good post. How about next time at least argue why his post was bias and why it didnt make sense rather than just flamming him, ok?

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Narfer said:
Hus said:
Erik Aston said:
dallas said:

Actually, his post was very respectable, and made alot of sense and actually included mostly facts.  I think you flamming him for his good post was another obvious sign of your own fanboyism, thus getting all defensive over a good post. How about next time at least argue why his post was bias and why it didnt make sense rather than just flamming him, ok?

But he said he loves the "anti-sony FUD" 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:

Umm. I really hope you are being sarcastic, becuase he was. He was saying he loves the anti-sony FUD in an annoying manner, he is sick of it is basically what he meant. Read the rest of his comment closer.

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Im wondering if this is just a grab for cash... if they release a new version with a bigger hard-disk for Xmas, they can charge more for it - and SOME people will be silly enough to upgrade.

Either that, or its to counter the Elite - can't have MS saying the 360 is superior to the PS3 (in any way), now can we ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Narfer said:
sieanr said:

Umm. I really hope you are being sarcastic, becuase he was. He was saying he loves the anti-sony FUD in an annoying manner, he is sick of it is basically what he meant. Read the rest of his comment closer.

NO WAI

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"