By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony considers producing PS3 with larger hard drive

shams said:

Im wondering if this is just a grab for cash... if they release a new version with a bigger hard-disk for Xmas, they can charge more for it - and SOME people will be silly enough to upgrade.

Either that, or its to counter the Elite - can't have MS saying the 360 is superior to the PS3 (in any way), now can we ;)

Haha, yea. Sony and MS will keep releasing slightly upgraded systems that dont sell at all, and Nintendo will just sit back and continuing selling out the Wii, until finally they release a WiiHD while Sony and Microsoft have run themselves a ganillion dollars in the hole, and will again be spanked by Nintendo and Sony and MS will have to file bankrupt, therefor Nintendo will start making computer software and TVs and other typical sony apliances. Miyamoto becomes president of the World.

Nintendo: The Future Monopoly!

A delayed game is good someday, a bad game is bad forever.

Around the Network
Narfer said:
shams said:

Im wondering if this is just a grab for cash... if they release a new version with a bigger hard-disk for Xmas, they can charge more for it - and SOME people will be silly enough to upgrade.

Either that, or its to counter the Elite - can't have MS saying the 360 is superior to the PS3 (in any way), now can we ;)

Haha, yea. Sony and MS will keep releasing slightly upgraded systems that dont sell at all, and Nintendo will just sit back and continuing selling out the Wii, until finally they release a WiiHD while Sony and Microsoft have run themselves a ganillion dollars in the hole, and will again be spanked by Nintendo and Sony and MS will have to file bankrupt, therefor Nintendo will start making computer software and TVs and other typical sony apliances. Miyamoto becomes president of the World.

Nintendo: The Future Monopoly!

It's true... this generation proved is proving that a more affordable console altough inferior to it's competitors can dominate the market.

I hope that sends a message to Sony and MS corporate that $400 and $600 systems don't sit to well with customers... actually... wait a minute..  both are releasing "elite" systems that are even more expensive... those corporate dumbass's... I swear they must all be retards...

Does anyone else think it's retarded that they're selling new systems aimed at "hardcore" gamers at this stage of the game??

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

"chances are youll never run out of space"

Famous last words...

No matter what, eventually you always run out space!

your mother said:

"chances are youll never run out of space"

Famous last words...

No matter what, eventually you always run out space!

Well I guess it depens on the person really. I use relativly small/fast HDD's to get max speed out of my system. I have dual 35GB 15,000 RPM gaming HDD's I haven't filled either of them yet and even combined barely fill one. I really doubt I'd fill the PS3's 60GB HDD unless every game required you pop some information on there. Same with Xbox360.

I luckily bought my Premium like 1 day before they announced the Elite, though I don't really want the 120GB HDD, so got to cancel it. Yeah that's right.. I'm buying the elite for the fancy black paint I'm that vain lol Well.. that and Wii is the only system that's allowed to be white on my shelf at current! (Also have have a 200$ gift card so 480$ isn't so bad.)

"Well I guess it depens on the person really. I use relativly small/fast HDD's to get max speed out of my system. I have dual 35GB 15,000 RPM gaming HDD's I haven't filled either of them yet and even combined barely fill one. I really doubt I'd fill the PS3's 60GB HDD unless every game required you pop some information on there. Same with Xbox360.

I luckily bought my Premium like 1 day before they announced the Elite, though I don't really want the 120GB HDD, so got to cancel it. Yeah that's right.. I'm buying the elite for the fancy black paint I'm that vain lol Well.. that and Wii is the only system that's allowed to be white on my shelf at current! (Also have have a 200$ gift card so 480$ isn't so bad.)"

My comment was more along the lines of:

20 years ago you were a rich, storage-hungry power user if you had a 30GB hard drive.

Nowadays, you have more RAM in your graphics card, and HDD sizes have grown to 750GB.

Of course, not everyone needs so much. My wide still gets by on 20GB, but I already need to get more storage for my main rig, which currently has about 20GB left from the 970GB total. 

However, I do see the 360 potentially needing more space, especially if their HD downloads really takes off. 

It's kinda like the memory card thing: You get an 8MB card for your PS2, thinking it is "enough", but a few games here and there, and you meet with the unwanted proposition of either having to delete saved games you would rather keep, or waiting until you can go to the shop to buy a new card.

I bet you have a lot of fun with your Raid-0 Raptors!

Around the Network
your mother said:
"Well I guess it depens on the person really. I use relativly small/fast HDD's to get max speed out of my system. I have dual 35GB 15,000 RPM gaming HDD's I haven't filled either of them yet and even combined barely fill one. I really doubt I'd fill the PS3's 60GB HDD unless every game required you pop some information on there. Same with Xbox360.

I luckily bought my Premium like 1 day before they announced the Elite, though I don't really want the 120GB HDD, so got to cancel it. Yeah that's right.. I'm buying the elite for the fancy black paint I'm that vain lol Well.. that and Wii is the only system that's allowed to be white on my shelf at current! (Also have have a 200$ gift card so 480$ isn't so bad.)"

My comment was more along the lines of:

20 years ago you were a rich, storage-hungry power user if you had a 30GB hard drive.

Nowadays, you have more RAM in your graphics card, and HDD sizes have grown to 750GB.

Of course, not everyone needs so much. My wide still gets by on 20GB, but I already need to get more storage for my main rig, which currently has about 20GB left from the 970GB total.

However, I do see the 360 potentially needing more space, especially if their HD downloads really takes off.

It's kinda like the memory card thing: You get an 8MB card for your PS2, thinking it is "enough", but a few games here and there, and you meet with the unwanted proposition of either having to delete saved games you would rather keep, or waiting until you can go to the shop to buy a new card.

I bet you have a lot of fun with your Raid-0 Raptors!

I definatly agree if the HD stuff takes off people will find the 120GB in handy but I also feel like the people that buy enough to fill up 120 GB may be in the minority, maybe I'm naive.

Let me tell you I have tons of fun lol I just gotta be careful not to bog them down but I guess it depends on the used. To me 60-80 sould be the sweet spot for most people 20-40 for casuals and maybe a bit more for hard cores.  On the PS2 memory card thing, I've always bought 2 of the basic memory cards since they began...  the bigger size and smaller size where available but always 1st party.

Maybe I'm a special case cause I'm always buying between 3 consoles since the Cd/Memory card stuff began ^^;

"I definatly agree if the HD stuff takes off people will find the 120GB in handy but I also feel like the people that buy enough to fill up 120 GB may be in the minority, maybe I'm naive."

I think a main reason for the Elite is not so much to follow in Sony's footsteps (HDMI), but rather to establish their role in HD downloading (HDCP). Whether it bombs or not is another issue, but...

My question about that would be: how do you get the movies off the HD once you've downloaded them?

You are getting the Elite - perhaps you can clue me/us in (if not now, maybe when you've had some hands-on time with your spanking-new black box)? 

A lot of Sony bashing based on pure speculation.  I think the most likely scenerio involves Sony getting a good deal on a larger hard drive and just shipping all new consoles with the larger drive.  Does anybody really believe Sony will have dual SKU's with 60 and 80 gb hard drives being the only difference?  Like some others in the post, I doubt I would ever fill 20 GB.  I think cable and satellite on-demand will always be superior to anything Microsoft, Nintendo, or Sony will offer.

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million

Apple year 2001 or so releases Ipod
Microsoft year 2006 releases Zune, which is like a copy of Ipod
Nintendo year 2006 releases Wii
Sony/Microsoft year 2010 release copies of Wii, at same price point

Oh, I forgot to add. A Blu-ray / HD-DVD movie is about 20 gigs. So you can see how quickly a hard drive would fill up if you downloaded movies.